back to article Comcast Com-templates Com-trashing Com-crap Com-pact Com-caps

Comcast has decided that rather than slap a 300GB-a-month download cap on some of its broadband customers, it will instead give them a 1TB limit. The US cable kingpin says it has begun tests in trial markets in 12 US states that gives users an allowance of 1,000GB monthly. That's up from the 300GB cap it slapped on subscribers …

1. Ian Michael Gumby

Well there goes 4K!

I wonder what would happen if you wanted to upgrade to 4K videos.

Oh wait, Comcast doesn't offer 4K content and therefore believes that with a 1TB limit, you wouldn't want 4K either.

Or maybe their content doesn't count so that you get penalized for watching Netflix on top of their cable shows?

2. Notas Badoff

Yay Capitalism!

Um, so which of those trial markets have other broadband companies directly competing with Comcast for customers? Thought so. Less is more when the choices are some of any or none at all.

Oooo, ooo, I know, I betcha Google Fiber is competing in those cities! Hmm, no mention of Galax, Virginia, or many others. Louisville is "potential". Huntsville is "upcoming". Oooo, Atlanta and Nashville are "current"!

Direct head-to-head competition in 2 out of 26 markets. Yay Capitalism!

Shall we take it as given that if every mother's child in Atlanta and Nashville suddenly starts enquiring when GFiber will be available in their neighborhood, that Comcast might quietly shelve this whole thing?

1. FrankAlphaXII

Re: Yay Capitalism!

I know for a fact that Miami-Dade also has American Theft and Thoughtlessness, who will rip you off way worse than Comcast will and play games with your billing. I had them for two months and they did their utmost to ensure I'll never do anything with AT&T again. They sure as hell aren't the old school death star anymore.

They also have a local company called Atlantic Broadband but I'm pretty sure they're limited to Miami itself, Miami Beach and Miami Shores.

2. onefastskater

Google fiber is near my street (Atlanta metro area), trenching on the main street, surveying telephone poles in my neighborhood last Friday. Good bye Comcast. I don't care if costs me more I have vivid memories of the disdain Comcast has displayed to it's "valued customers". A lot of my neighbors can't wait either.

1. onefastskater

But wait there's more ...

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Comcast-Cares-Hashtag-Backfires-Horribly-7385686.php

3. RedneckMother
    Coat

ho hum

After all, 640k is more than enough for anyone...

4. Sporkinum

current usage

We currently use around 400-500GB a month. They aren't enforcing caps right now in our area, but if they did, I was going to switch to cheaper/slower DSL that doesn't have caps. At 1 TB, they would probably keep me as a customer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like