back to article Go to Topshop, make a Bluetooth gizmo, stick it on your dress

High-street retailer Topshop is opening an innovation hub for wearable tech. The fashion outlet is accepting applications for a place on a new innovation programme – Top Pitch – to develop new technology that is both useful and fashionable. Businesses will work with Topshop during a month to develop prototypes and will pitch …

1. Warm Braw

Technology that is both useful and fashionable

How about a T-shirt that displays a real-time map of the flow of money to Mrs Green's Monaco account and a constantly-updated amount of tax that would otherwise have been payable?

1. frank ly

Re: Technology that is both useful and fashionable

It's amazing, the 'tax efficient' arrangements you can make when you're rich.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

during a month

Only?

Exactly what "wearable" tech has been useful in the real world for adults?

Some small kids like light up shoe laces, flickery shoes, LEDs on clothes. Tiger sells a party goer fibre + LED "mohawk" headband for a few Euros.

I'm curious what there is apart from watches, rings, head up contact lenses, google glass, BT earpeice, USB keyring, vibrator with BT interface etc. Most of that isn't much use.

Embedded in clothes?

1. VinceH

Re: during a month

How about pockets that act as Faraday cages?

3. frank ly

So ....

"TopShop has worked on the program with L Marks, which created start-up incubator JLab for high-street giant John Lewis three years ago."

They have a track record in this area. What did they achieve in three years; does anyone know?

4. Camilla Smythe
    Coat

Oooo I Know!!!1

Do a wearable tag that tracks you across stores and notes your purchases then build up a big database of stuff and use it to target your future purchases. It can be linked to your phone to send sms messages and smear adverts all over your browser and have adaptive bill boards or milk cartons that go beep when you pass them and your fridge has noted your old carton has gone mouldy and other life experience changing shite. Fooking brilliant. I'll just get me coat, check it for any such shit and rip it out.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's an idea.

Bluetooth proximity connected to led's that changes the pattern on the garment depending on the proximity of your friends. Everyone has a different pattern assigned to them and whoever is closest to you shares a pattern. Add solar panel shoulders for charging and an app to set it up and you're all set.

The more interesting question is why I actually thought up a use case for this preposterous idea? I should do a kickstarter really but I'm just too lazy.

Please note, If anyone uses my idea I expect to be fully compensated with 3 scotch eggs, a shrubbery and a years subscription to miniature donkey talk magazine.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Yes! Add Bluetooth! Everything is better with Bluetooth!

Seriously, this is even lower on the scale of things than a solution looking for a problem.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like