back to article Gwyneth Paltrow and Richard Branson will lead Sage's 'sexy accounting' shtick

Sage Software is following in the footsteps of Microsoft and Salesforce by rolling out big names to vent hot air at its events. The British company, which had revenues of £194m last year, employs 13,000 people and is known for its mid-market accounting software, has signed Virgin empire supremo Sir Richard Branson to anchor …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    WTF?

Why do corporates pay for these celebs to attend their conferences?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Why do corporates pay for these celebs to attend their conferences?"

I think it's the execs' idea. It makes them feel important.

But celebs & beancounters - is it really a marriage made in heaven?

2. Mark 85

Probably to make things seem less boring...

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

How else could the beancounters get even close to a good looking actress?

2. x 7

I like the idea of experiencing Ms Paltrow and sheets together

But spreadsheets? Perhaps not...

3. Mephistro

Sage?

Nope! Kill it with fire!

Note: This comment inspired by former experiences with them and their -for lack of a better name- Support Service in my country. YMMV, of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sage?

Sage, Intuit, HR Block, Salesfarce... KILL THEM ALL!!

4. Frank Marsh

Is this still April 1?

Do mid-market accounting software buyers want to hear from Ashton Kutcher on any topic, much less “values over valuations: building a mission-driven business”?

I kept thinking I would get to the end of the article and would see: "Just kidding - they're the celebrity glitter into for a 'maximizing capital depreciation in the coming tax year' presentation."

5. inmypjs Silver badge

Nice gig and celebs, shame about

the effing awful software and particularly sage pay.

I ordered something online and paid by credit card through paypal through sage pay. Got an email order confirmation and the money was taken from paypal within minutes. A week later nothing had been delivered so I chased the company and they told me the order had been cancelled because of some payment problem. I asked why they had not told me the order was cancelled and they said the system (sage pay) doesn't tell them, it also doesn't tell them what the problem it didn't really have was or that they had taken my money. After some more hassle and argument they accepted they did have my money and offered to refund it without even an apology.

Completely incompetent douchbag company and I now realise them choosing sage as payment processors is an indication of that.

1. Havin_it

Re: Nice gig and celebs, shame about

Bit harsh. My company have used MSP (then Protx) for more than a decade, and if you met us I hope you wouldn't think we're douchebags. I mean I am, totally, but my colleagues are stout fellows and keep me in check for the most part ;)

We're a very small player and only use the Form off-site processing portal, so can't speak for more heavy duty integrations, but the only problems we've had have been the couple of outages they've had in all that time (and who hasn't?). Re the transparency of what's happening with transactions, I find it very comprehensive in that regard and I actually wonder if the vendor wasn't snowing you there.

I've no idea if the grass is greener among other PSPs, because I've never looked, but any I've heard of have been in these pages for some clusterfuck or other.. We went with Protx on a recommendation from ... a WorldPay sales droid. True story.

6. GeezaGaz

Sounds like they are trying to make the unbelievably dull and boring topic of accounting software just faintly interesting....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like