back to article If you're appy and you know it, say five Hail Marys – cyber-Pope

Pope Francis is pushing young Catholics to put down their phones in order to find peace of mind. Speaking at an event in St Peter's Square at the Vatican, the pontiff told a crowd of around 100,000 people that happiness can not be found with their smartphones. "[Happiness is] not an app that you can download on your phones, …

1. Robert Moore

Still waiting to hear what the Space Pope has to say about smartphones. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He'll say what the Hypnotoad tells him to say.

1. Vector

...after his mom tells him to straighten his Pope Hat.

2. Mark 85

Has there been an edict from FSM on this also? I'm curious as to what his Noodly Goodness thinks of all this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I hear that penne is the path to redemption.

1. Chemical Bob
          Coat

Re: penne is the path to redemption

Be careful or a bad penne will turn up...

Mine's the one with Alfredo sauce stains.

2. Jedit Silver badge
        Pint

"Has there been an edict from FSM on this also?"

No word as yet on smartphones, but he's definitely in favour of the taglia telly.

2. hellwig

Preach It!

Seriously, anyone who can't see the downside of our phones being attached at the wrist in all aspects of our lives is already too far gone. Cut them out of your lives, the machines have already claimed them!

Technology is not a REPLACEMENT for life, it's supposed to enhance it. People like to talk about how technology has made them so much more social, but lets look at reality. People think that Tay was a failure for Microsoft, I actually see it as a rousing success. An AI bot that basically acts as a parrot, echoing everything you tell it, agreeing with you at every turn? Never forming it's own opinion on things? That is EXACTLY what people are looking for in their social groups. Technology is not opening people's minds, it's actually closing them at an alarming rate. Rather than being forced to accept a wide wealth of knowledge and form thoughts and opinions, people can actively seek-out only self-reaffirming data and social interactions. For every honest piece of information out there, there are a dozen fabricated tails that support any opinion anyone can form on a subject.

Thanks technology, you've really helped!

1. Fibbles

"Technology is not a REPLACEMENT for life"

Speak for yourself meatbag.

All hail the singularity!

3. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"If you're appy..."

"I want 'appiness."

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/degaulle.asp

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Desperately seeking relevance

Remember: This guy believes in demons, exorcism, bigotry towards the LGBT, bans against contraception and divorce plus magic biscuits, etc.

He is not exactly up to date.

1. Asterix the Gaul

Re: Desperately seeking relevance

Yes, he's definitely out of touch & out of this world in his beliefs.

BUT, isn't that what half the problems in this world are about,encapsulated in religion,with it's plethora of 'god's' & nearly all 'religions' define 'goddo' in the singular.

Here's what the 'POOP' had to say about 'god',

“The big bang, which is today posited as the origin of the world, does not contradict the divine act of creation; rather, it requires it,” the pope said in an address to a meeting at the pontifical academy of sciences.

“Evolution of nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation because evolution presupposes the creation of beings which evolve.”

'Religious' folks are the ultimate 'Luddites',led by liars portraying the physical world as the 'creation' of the 'fairy' 'godfather'.

What sort of twat, who knows nothing of physics,posits the idea that it was all started by some mystic fairy god father holding mystic Meg's wand?

Of course he's NOT up to date,though,IMHO, he does have some pertinent points about unconventional lifestyles.,that have absolutely NOTHING to do with religion.

5. julian.smith

Another scammer desperately seeking relevance

Same pig, different lipstick

"The Internet is a gift from God"

[I have to pay my ISP]

BTW does his God have a website?

LMAO

6. Asterix the Gaul

Who called the 'Pope' a DOPE,who called the DOPE a 'Pope'?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like