back to article Anonymous whales on Denmark, Iceland with OpKillingBay DDoS

A pair of Akamai researchers are warning that entities using the name and iconography of hacker collective Anonymous will soon expand a six-year distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack campaign against Japan to other whale-and-dolphin-eating nations. The operation, dubbed KillingBay, is detailed in a report [PDF] and is …

1. jake Silver badge

"hacker collective Anonymous"

Read "unaffiliated skiddies attempting to be an entity".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I still remember when the UK threw a hissy fit about Japan and whaling, and all I could think at the time is "Wait a second, you plan to cull (read: slaughter) badgers en masse."

1. x 7

but we weren't eating the badgers

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not the point, though, is it?

2. x 7

two thumbs down because we weren't eating badgers? Sometimes I really don't understand you lot.....

3. TeeCee Gold badge
        Meh

Can't say I've ever eaten badger, but if it tastes as bad as dolphin and whale do, I can see why you wouldn't want to.

When it comes to the dolphins and whales, my only objection is they taste pretty dreadful. Neither can hold a candle to a decent steak, being much tougher and unpleasantly salty with it.

1. John 104
          Coat

I've eaten beaver before but that was...Oh, wiat. Never mind.

2. jake Silver badge

"Can't say I've ever eaten badger, but if it tastes as bad as dolphin and whale do"

Haven't tasted dolphin. Whale is actually pretty good eats.

"much tougher and unpleasantly salty with it."

Actually, whale is quite tender, and not salty at all (unless the cook is an idiot).

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"but we weren't eating the badgers"

But they do make awfully good shaving brushes.

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge

Are badgers endangered?

1. x 7

Are badgers endangered?

they would be if we started eating them again

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dolphins and Whales

Are protected and dont need to be eaten or culled.

Badgers are potential pests and are known to carry certain diseases.

Killing and eating sea mammals and culling a possible danger to the food chain are not the same thing.

Also its not like badger culling is an annual event like seal clubbing.

All this said id like to point out that we still havent had a hemp wearing vegan comment yet...am I to assume that there are no vegan techies?

If thats the case we may have identified the next minority bandwagon for our industry.

To be fair arguing with vegans would be less of a ballache than arguing with feminazis. They have less energy for a start.

That said, skinny, pale and being obnoxious is what us IT folk are generally good at so a vegan could easily blend in...until the first beer and steak night.

1. x 7

Re: Dolphins and Whales

"..its not like badger culling is an annual event like seal clubbing."

It used to be. Once the cubs had grown big enough to be fat and worth eating. Young badgers were the preferred ones to eat: less skunky taste and more like a piglet to cook. They'd be harvested in the autumn and smoked

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Smoked? How do you roll up a badger fag?

1. jake Silver badge

"Smoked? How do you roll up a badger fag?"

If you don't understand food preservation, you are in the wrong thread.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Many humans are potential pests and are known to carry certain diseases.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
        Coat

"Many humans are potential pests and are known to carry certain diseases."

You leave my mother out of this.

4. Panix
    FAIL

Anonymous = failure

Since when did Anonymous turn from being about the lulz to being a collective of retarded SJW script kitties.

Lizard Squad seems to be the successor to the original 'Anonymous' spirit.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Anonymous = failure

Since being founded. The more paranoiac part of me still thinks that Anonymous in its current form is failed black op. Someone _WANTED_ to associate the symbolism in V for Vendetta with negative in the public eye. They have mostly succeeded too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like