back to article US government sued by activists looking for backdoor smoking gun

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is suing the US government to reveal just how it compels tech companies to help agents spy on people. The activist group has hit the Department of Justice (DoJ) with a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit in the US Northern California District Court requesting details on whether …

1. The_Idiot

With or without the Courts...

EFF: So tell us the answer!

DOJ: Yes we have. Or no we haven't. One of those, anyway.

EFF: Bugger that! _Tell_ us!

DOJ: We did! Now run along, we've got a Constitution to pretend to protect...

2. Graham Marsden
    Big Brother

It's a secret...

"We're allowed to have them, you aren't"

Signed - Your Government

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a secret...

Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead. Some one has not been doing their bloody job!

3. Oengus

questions the extent to which the FBI and NSA wish to extend their powers to gather and retain communications collected during investigation mass surveillance.

Hogan did, however, end up granting the two agencies' motion to continue their intelligence-gathering mass surveillance operations.

FTFY

4. a_yank_lurker

First question, is FISC even constitutional in its operation?

1. Youngone Silver badge

@ a_yank_lurker

That was my question too. I don't see how any of this passes muster, the whole National Security Letter nonsense smells awful too. An order from a secret court that the recipient can't even talk about?

The problem is that the Supreme Court has ruled in the past that money is speech, and corporations are people, so who knows what they're even for any more.

2. Ole Juul

we're not in Kansas anymore

"is FISC even constitutional in its operation?"

That's of no consequence. The constitution no longer applies.

5. dan1980

A FOIA request is great and all but what, exactly does anyone believe this will accomplish?

I am not suggesting it is inherently pointless as we must always keep questioning our elected leaders. But a FOIA, while theoretically able to bypass the FISC, is still subject to that most versatile of 'get out of jail free' cards: 'National Security'.

Nothing about a FOIA request requires that the response - if provided - must be 100% complete and un-redacted so anyone who thinks that such a request will force the government to reveal information it is not already willing to provide is perhaps in for some disappointment.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

It tells ordinary people that these agencies are up to no good, and the expected rebuffs and evasions makes the point even more clearly. It also serves to bounce the 'nothing to hide - nothing to fear' back on them. People are slowly beginning to take this in, and starting to take measures to protect themselves.

It's a long game though.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Good for them. (The EFF.)

7. Aodhhan
    Facepalm

Make it hard for the Gov't to protect us, and less difficult for thieves to take our identity

EFF is just wasting government time and money. They gripe about crap the gov't does, yet adds to the problem. It's costs a lot of time and money each time a FOIA requests is launched. You didn't think the all this information is just lying in one spot and "plunk" it's available to give out?

This isn't to say, there aren't times when FOIA requests shouldn't be done; however, in this case it's just wasteful nonsense.

There is a court system in place which overseas this.. and as of yet, nobody has been hurt by being investigated...well, unless you're a criminal.

Yet... think of the lives which have been saved and the amount of violent criminals which have been put in jail. Violent criminals which could commit acts where you hang out or shop. Not to mention other crimes like credit card fraud and identity stealing.

So go on and continue making it more difficult for the government to protect us and less difficult for thieves to steal your identity.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Flame

Re: Make it hard for the Gov't to protect us, and less difficult for thieves to take our identity

Once in a blue moon I come across a post I wish I could upvote a thousand times.

You have introduced me to the reverse of this concept.

All this stuff going on behind closed doors - no oversight - secret courts, secret orders, public treated as the enemy - no accountability - numerous abuses of power etc. ad nauseam and your response to the freedom of every person you know being jeopardized amounts to:

"Yeah, but it makes us safer dunnit"

You Sir, are an ignorant twat and a prime example of why we are in this fucking mess.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Make it hard for the Gov't to protect us, and less difficult for thieves to take our identity

@ Sir Runcible Spoon - Check out Aodhhan's post history. In addition to your other opinions of his character, I would like to add "probably on a salary for posting".

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Yeah, the post on 10th July 2008 is a doozer in the current context :)

2. Fatman
        Thumb Up

Sir, I WISH I could UPVOTE you a THOUSAND TIMES!!!!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Fact is, you still need a court order to "spy" on the public in America. In an "emergency" (yeah, this can be debated), you get a week to petition for the warrant. Which is really what the friction point is.

Still... it is better than most countries which have no laws against the government spying on their citizens. Not only do most countries allow it, but there isn't any judical oversight. So don't be so quick to bash the American system. You are probably being spied on this moment if you aren't in the US... and cannot do anything about it."

HAHAHA! Impressive lurk, too...11th Sep 2008 -7 days ago. Something seems to have happened in the meantime to change the guy into a living embodiment of Godwin's Law. Promotion? Different poster?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

The tone changes quite a bit from one section to the next doesn't it?

And as you say, an impressive lurk if it's the same person :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like