back to article Oof! Acer suffers 25 per cent hit to PC sales in turbulent Q1

Acer and Lenovo's PC sales tumbled during the first three months of 2016 as the EMEA market contracted by 10 per cent, according to Gartner. While everybody except Asus was down compared to 12 months ago, Acer was the single biggest loser. The ailing notebook maker shipped 26.4 per cent fewer PCs – 1.5m units – leaving it …

1. Gis Bun

Oh not surprised with Acer. Their systems are junk and their support is crappy. If they can make a quick buck out of selling something like Chromebricks, they will.

1. asdf

Acer = Taiwan first (and often only) = Fail

Acer is what happens when nationalism comes before making money. Acer actually had a CEO (Italian I believe) with a good plan to grow them in mobile but they pushed him out when he dared to think about hiring non Taiwanese engineers. The market tends to punish such stupidity as this headline (and many before it) shows.

2. Vector

Sorry, but I've had far more trouble with ASUS products over the last 5 years than Acer. I've had 2 ASUS laptops (one a high end ROG system) that had bad power ports. The ROG laptop fried it's video card and the other laptop fried it's motherboard. I also had a Nexus 2012 tablet that wouldn't do an OTA system update and ASUS tech support was clueless (didn't buy it from Google so was forced to go to ASUS for support). The few Acer systems I've had to deal with, OTOH, have been fine middle of the road laptops, albeit with a bit of crapware that had to be eliminated.

1. asdf

I fail to see where I say anything about Asus. PC flogging in general is a poor business to be in. When even Lenovo is suffering you know nobody can make money at those margins and volumes. The key obviously is to be more than a PC flogger which is bad news (as has been for nearly 5 years) for Acer.

1. Vector
          Facepalm

Sorry, should have referred back. Was speaking to Gis Bun's comment about Acer.

2. djstardust

An amazing amount of excuses

to cover up the fact that Windows 10 is crap.

1. asdf

Re: An amazing amount of excuses

Damned if it isn't the most user friendly spyware ever invented. The OS itself is easily Microsoft's best but that whole trying to out spy Google means no dice.

3. cosymart
    Facepalm

On Yer Bike!

The cycle is broken, we don't need to update the hardware to run the next generation of software.

4. W. Anderson

A sad time for Microsoft diehards

It is a matter "of record" that Desktop and Laptop" PC sales with Microsoft Windows has been in and by Gartner Report continues to decline, quarter after quarter and year over year.

The first commenter "Gis Bun", as a calculated Microsoft supporter denigrates Acer for crappy hardware and support - which is proven, but also for the vendor producing "Chromebricks", which can only be deciphered as his objection and hatred for any non-Windows computing device - Chromebooks, Android and/or Linux products.

Amazon and several large US systems integrators have reported that for past 2 end-of-year shopping seasons - Nov - Dec, 2014 and 2015, they sold "More CHROMEBOOKS than ALL Brands and Models of WINDOWS Computers COMBINED".

Gis Ban might not like to accept the truth, but there it is. He/She is probably a Donald Trump supporter, in a campaign where reality and facts have no meaning.

1. Arctic fox

Re: A sad time for Microsoft diehards

Suggest old chap that you try more reasoned analysis and less ad hominem next time you post.

2. JLV

>"Chromebricks", which can only be deciphered as his objection and hatred for any non-Windows computing device

Could also be deciphered as her/his dislike for Google the company, or at least this particular hardware endeavor of theirs... No need to wheel out the Trumpisms.

Having a hard day? (El Reg, we need a "Chill Pill" icon).

1. 1Rafayal
        WTF?

this guy is almost as funny as amanfrommars.

just try reading his posts out loud before you think about giving the grownup version of an answer. Best way to brighten up a Monday morning.

5. JLV

eh, eh, Lenovo

Guess putting nasty little ad-serving certs to spam your users' browsers didn't work out so well. Too bad, your systems did seem to be well received otherwise.

And, good riddance to Acer as well. Truly the bottom of the heap, price, but also quality, -wise.

1. Loud Speaker

Re: eh, eh, Lenovo

Yesterday I was in John Lewis (to return an ASUS laptop that had died for a second time) and I thought I would look at the Lenovo offerings as there were quite a few.

None could out perform my 7 year old T61p (which I had upgraded to SSD myself). Why would I upgrade? No wonder their sales are not going well. If they cannot beat their own product that is theoretically 2 generations old?

Yep, we run Ubuntu on all family machines (except servers, which are BSD), so Win10 is NOT going to make a difference to any decisions.

Car analogy: Even Ford know that current models have to outperform a model T (pun intended), although I bet a 1968 Mustang would out perform our current (con)Fusion unless cornering was involved.

6. energystar

Always needing a true high performance computer!

But they're drown in a clash of interests, more of, lately.

7. John 156
    Linux

IBM must feel very pleased with themselves for offloading their x86 business on Lenovo whilst hoping to re-enter the server market with their new improved POWER9.

8. PaulFrederick

I bought an Acer

When the HDD failed in it they never fixed it. Although I did send it back to them three times for them to do that. All they were willing to do was reload the OS and send it back to me. They even lied, and claimed to have put a new HDD in it. But if they did then it is an amazing coincidence that I would have the exact same problem again. Now if I had been more on the ball I would have recorded the serial number of that drive and caught them. But I thought they were going to do the right thing. Well I guess they did the right thing, for them. By stiffing me they saved themselves some money.

The third time I sent it back they kept it for months and damaged the case of it in the process. Because the machine was pristine when I sent it to them. I never carried it around, or anything like that. It was new when all of this first went on too.

So I am looking forward to hearing about Acer going out of business. It really could not happen to a nicer company.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like