back to article US poised to unleash stadium-sized sandwich bag

NASA's long-duration super pressure balloon (SPB) mission looks to be set for launch tomorrow morning from Wanaka Airport, New Zealand, now that "forecast surface and low-level winds are aligned", as the space agency puts it. The SPB is made of "22 acres of polyethylene film – similar to a sandwich bag" and swells to a …

1. pete 22
    Devil

kiloCats?

I had noticed quite a stir among the neighborhood felines lately...

1. Rich 11

Re: kiloCats?

That's just your midichlorians responding.

2. Roq D. Kasba

Helium

Wasn't there something in the news a couple of years back about helium stocks being run down with nobody doing whatever one does to replenish them?

I'm sure NASA can get their hands on the good stuff, but that could be a longer-term problem. I know the stuff we bought in UAE was so heavily cut with other gases that it could barely float a balloon.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

So it begins...

4. Mark 85

So NASA will also stand for "National AirShip Agency"? These are heady times indeed.

I hope the balloon doesn't go through a swarm of birds and break. On the other hand, a bunch of birds sounding like Donald Duck could be hilarious.

5. G R Goslin

Shortage

There shouldn't be a shortage of Helium, particularly with the shale gas revolution. Helium is present from the radioactive decay of Uranium (Alpha radiation = Helium nuclei). Extraction is simple, just freeze until the Helium is left behind. All it costs is money. If the price was right, it would be done. Presumably, it isn't.

6. Rich 11

when fully engorged with helium, or put another way is "big enough to encompass a football stadium".

That would be a stadium filled with very high-pitched cheers.

7. edmoran

Big waste of Helium

Helium's too expensive. Hydrogen would be better, although I'm partial to acetylene myself.

8. Chazmon
    Alien

I think this is all an elaborate cover up for an upcoming alien visit. They are getting their story in advance so that they can blame the resulting sightings on this 'balloon.' And they said I was mad...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like