back to article Lizard Squad back to blast Blizzard’s gaming hub

Lizard Squad has hit gaming firm Blizzard’s servers with a massive DDoS attack. Blizzard's Battle.net services were left intermittently unavailable as a result of the assault, the latest in a long line of hacking attacks against gaming firms by the notorious black hat hacking crew. Blizzard confirmed an attack in the earlier …

1. Zakhar

Any Claims?

And what are their claims?

Do they perform a DDoS "just for fun"... I won't believe it! They must have some grief towards Blizzard or WoW for behaving in such a way, those claims are valuable information.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Any Claims?

Some hints of motive here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-14-blizzard-servers-hit-by-ddos-attack-lizard-squad-claims-responsibility

2. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Any Claims?

Pandas?

2. JackTripper

Cheers LS!

That's good for them! I hope all black hat teams start focusing on Blizzard. This corrupt money driven company could care less about their fans, and deserve everything they get! Here's looking at you 4chan, anything you can contribute to make them feel our displeasure would be greatly appreciated!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

couldn't care less

The phrase is "couldn't care less" you illiterate yank.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: couldn't care less

Gosh darn it. Thank god we have you correcting yanks AC.

You must be chomping at the bit to catch more spelling / grammer and common fraze foybles.

You did good trying to nip this in the butt.

For all intensive purposes, ive crafted the message to help the yanks.

If you've managed to read this in its entirety and find there are no issues with it whatsoever then im sorry you have a common problem called Americanism. Its uncurable unfortunately. You can treat the symptoms though...read a fucking book or two.

Peace.

2. a_yank_lurker

Re: couldn't care less

Sure he is a yank, (most of us are marginally literate true enough)?

Back the to the post, what caught my eye was the idea of using a DDoS as the cover for a penetration attack while the IT group has their hands full. This would indicate a rising sophistication level to use one attack to distract the defenders from the real attack, launched while the first is ongoing.

2. Shugyosha
      Facepalm

Re: Cheers LS!

Nerfed your class, did they?

God forbid that a company should be money driven.

1. JackTripper

Re: Cheers LS!

@Shugyosha Blizzard can't nerf my class because, anyone with half a brain quit giving these idiots their money 5 years ago. I wouldn't expect a Blizzard fanboy like yourself to understand while you sit in your garrison all day playing Facebook Farmville on retail wow. Of course they have the right to be money hungry, any company does! Look how far its gotten them, lost over half of their subs and continuing to plummet, fans are what makes a gaming company. Piss them off and see how long you last. So, good call on that reply, you really are the sharpest crayon in the box.

3. ciderbuddy

Possibly this reason

Blizzard closed the popular nostralius server for warcraft; basically it's a private server that runs the vanilla version of wow (or did) because Blizzard allowed private servers. Well they had over 20k people playing on there and bliss didn't like it . Could be this I reckon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36044000

1. regadpellagru

Re: Possibly this reason

"Blizzard closed the popular nostralius server for warcraft; basically it's a private server that runs the vanilla version of wow (or did) because Blizzard allowed private servers. Well they had over 20k people playing on there and bliss didn't like it . Could be this I reckon"

Of all the current theories, that's the most plausible. And even this one is a bit off, as those folks blatantly violated Blizzard's T&C.

Either that or they wanted to conceal something else, as the researcher pointed out.

Seriously, if you're an upset gamer, then f***ing DDOS EA for their toxic consumer practises, not Blizzard !

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can we stop calling them hackers...

As these guys only do DDOS attacks and never break into or exploit any systems whatsoever... we should really not give them anymore credit than they are due.... even script kiddies is a generous term ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can we stop calling them hackers...

The article didn't actually call them hackers. But yes skiddies is the correct nomenclature.

5. breakfast Silver badge

Potential causes of offence...

Perhaps they are Londoners and had heard Tracer's voice from Overwatch.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like