back to article FOUR Avatar sequels

Unobtanium miners, rejoice! Avatar auteur James Cameron says the hit flick will have four sequels. Cameron's reportedly told an entertainment industry confab the epic story he wants to tell can't be contained in the originally-planned three sequels. Hollywood loves stretching things out so you go to the multiplex just one …

1. MrDamage Silver badge

insert title here.

Avatar 3 = Poke Hard with a Vengeance

Avatar 4 = Live Free or Poke Hard

Or will JC rip off some other Disney flick for the sequals?

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: insert title here.

I always thought it was "Smurfahontas"

2. jake Silver badge

One word.

Why?

1. JDC

Re: One word.(answer)

Money,

1. Phil W

Re: One word.(answer)

Avatar 6 - The Search for More Money*

*Because if you're going to shamelessly rip someone off, why not steal from the best.

3. Medixstiff

Why doesn't he wait until he gets the Terminator rights back?

Then he can right the wrongs that happened after T2.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yay, just what we need, another reboot. Terminator: Into Darkness, anyone?

1. Horridbloke

Terminator 6

I think the next terminator flick is due to be called "Help! My Father-In-Law Is A Cyborg Assassin!".

(Still better than Salvation though.)

1. Phil W

Re: Terminator 6

Terminator vs Aliens

Aliens come to invade the world and Skynet's robotic horde and humanity must team up to save the world from the aliens.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"so you go to the multiplex"

I don't do that anymore. I can't stand the obnoxiousness, the talking, the phoning, the munching and all the other stuff "moviegoers" are doing instead of actually watching the bloody film they complain about paying the price for.

So I let other people do that, I listen to their comments about it then I buy the DVD when it comes out if I'm really interested. I don't mind the waiting time, I prefer to watch a film in the peace of my own home with a drink in hand. And I can have popcorn if I want as well.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: "so you go to the multiplex"

The only problem with that is that you miss the opportunity to be part of the 'conversation' when a movie is in the public consciousness. But that really is the only problem, and it's probably not a big one. I wonder if there was a simultaneous release to disc / network whether cinemas could even survive?

1. TheProf

@John H Woods

'A Field in England' immediately sprang to mind. Wiki has other examples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_release

1. Matthew Taylor

'A field in England' was a superb film. “If you do not cease, we may be blasted by an ill planet!”

2. Rich 11

The only problem with that is that you miss the opportunity to be part of the 'conversation' when a movie is in the public consciousness.

Somehow, I think I could survive that.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"The only problem with that is that you miss the opportunity to be part of the 'conversation' when a movie is in the public consciousness."

Way back when you could be convincingly part of the 'conversation' just as long as you've read the spoof of that movie in MAD Magazine. All the relevant bits were there. Can't imagine with today's access to 'information at your fingertips' you couldn't do that now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I don't do that anymore. I can't stand the obnoxiousness, the talking, the phoning, the munching and all the other stuff "moviegoers" are doing instead of actually watching the bloody film they complain about paying the price for."

Not usually a problem at the multiplex in my town. Although there was one occasion when I did suggest to someone a few rows back with a very loud and annoying cough, that if they were going to die, that pehaps they could die a little more quietly.

From the chorus of sniggers, it seemed I wasn't the only one to be annoyed. Not sure if they did die, but the coughing stopped.

5. Robert Ramsay

Unobtanium?

Fuckoffium more like!

6. Matthew Taylor

Epic visions

In my experience, as soon as someone starts proclaiming that their "epic vision can't be contained in a mere..." it's time to head for the exit.

7. BugabooSue
    Meh

My personal feeling is...

...that it/they will probably do quite well at the Box Office (with associated good home sales).

Each subsequent movie will still make a profit, despite the previous one in the series being better. A case of diminishing returns, but enough to keep the financial backers happy - another Cash Grab.

As a result of the above, we will get quickly to the same state a lot of people are finding themselves in now when it comes to new Super-Hero movies - increasing apathy/burnout (as I am with Star Wars).

As I see it, difference is that Super-Hero and Star Wars movies have a wealth of lore and generations of fans supporting them:- Big Blue Smurf (BBS) movies don't. That will probably accelerate their slide into obscurity.

I have worried if there will be a Warchowski-like "Zion" vibe going through the subsequent paler iterations? I sincerely hope not - I was truly sick of the semi-mystical Zion-BS less than halfway through the second filler movie! (The FanEdit "The Matrix D-Zionized" version of the films is much better!)

Despite my love of SciFi and the oooh-aahh visuals present in a lot of SciFi movies, I'm done with the idea - for me, it has been too long since the original. If they turn out to be great, then that's a bonus, but I'm no longer excited at the prospect of a new BBS movie. Meh.

Susi xx

8. Dr_N

Dances With Smurfs

More giant Smurf movies.

Smurftastic!

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Dances With Smurfs

The sequel will be Little Big Smurf followed by The Return of Little Big Smurf.

9. Real Ale is Best

Allegiant

The Divergent series is a book masquerading as a four book series. Writers seem to be erroneously equating length with quality these days.

10. stucs201

The worst thing is Avatar 5 will probably be released on blu-ray before The Abyss is.

11. hatti

Great

I really enjoyed 'Dances with Smurfs'

12. Starace

Will probably never happen

He's been messing around for years now talking about these sequels that no one really wants.

I'll believe they're actually happening when there's a little more sign of actual production, not just messing about and random statements every year or two.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is James Cameron!

-- James Cameron

14. Deltics

Go Home Cameron. You're drunk.

'nuff said.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon