back to article TalkTalk broadband customers continue to flee

Broadband customers at TalkTalk continued to flee the operator during the first three months of this year, with 126,000 customers switching away from the provider. That was on the back of 250,000 broadband customers switching to other suppliers in the previous quarter, according to research from Kantar World Panel. Some 17 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Complete Bunch of

Didos

1. PeterM42
      WTF?

Re: Complete Bunch of

Er, isn't it spelt dildos?

2. Dwarf

Cost Benefit Analysis

When will people link up that cheap = nasty

If something matters, research the subject a bit, then pay more than rock bottom for it and remember they are still making a profit from you, whatever they are charging.

If sausages cost 5p each, they are not going to be as good as ones costing 50p each.

If broadband cost 5.99 a month its not going to be as good as the ones going for £19.99 a month.

Its really not a hard concept.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cost Benefit Analysis

Good broadband costs quite a bit. It doesn't come "free" bundled with phone and TV.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good broadband costs quite a bit. It doesn't come "free" bundled with phone and TV.

Apparently maintaining a few hundred metres of copper and long-depreciated switching equipment to provide shit quality voice calls also costs a hell of a lot, going by how much my line charge is.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ah no, the line rental part is being eaten up by a rent-seeking monopoly.

2. Paul Hargreaves

However, this isn't true.

If I'm selling two very similar sausages, one I sell for 5p and one sell for 50p, but I buy the first for 2p and the second for 3p, I'm making 3p profit on each of the cheap sausages and 47p on the second.

The quality of the sausages might be identical. The manufacturing plant, type of meat used, way the baby sausages are grown into big sausages, and everything other than the packaging might all be the same.

Is my 'artisan hand cranked' £10 sausage better than the 5p one? Possibly... but, like wine, are you buying the bottle and the label, or are you buying the stuff inside?

Real world example: Go look at the price for fruit'n'veg in Aldi/Lidl, and then in Waitrose. Probably came from the same farm, same earth... one has nice packaging.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Compare my local butchers multi-award winning sausages (about a dozen Diamond and Gold awards so far) with a "premium" brand such as Walls (Pork content 61%)

Guess which is the least expensive.

2. muddysteve

The difference between a £10 bottle of perfume and a £100 bottle of perfume - marketing.

3. wyatt

Very true, the wife use to work for M+B. The pub she was running got re-branded. They put the same food on different plates and added £5. Customers didn't have a clue or didn't care.

4. Dwarf

The point was that cheap = nasty, not that mugs will pay a lot more for something that's well above the standard it needs to be

Yes, things can be marketed up to far beyond their real value - take football players and gold plated digital cables as an examples

None of this make the original point wrong.

If you are happy paying 5p for sausages and 4.99 a month for internet with free phone calls and crap service and constant outages, then that's your choice.

I'm happy with reliable fibre broadband that isn't from TalkTalk and sausages that come from a proper farm shop.with mud and other farm stuff outside the door.

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

> When will people link up that cheap = nasty

Cheap, good, fast. Pick any two..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not great

So they have the largest proportion in the industry of existing customers who want out at the earliest possible opportunity, and more of their new customers join because of low price/promotional offers than any other supplier? If (as I suspect as an ex-TalkTalk customer myself) their new customers don't include more than a handful of wiser, been-bitten, not-going-back-there-again ex-customers, then the implication is that they're just buying market share. Doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Not great

Ah well, many is the complaint that I've fielded from my Mum about how shit their service is. And how their call centre is awful, and how she keeps having to reboot the telly-box, because it forgets to talk to the router-box.

Oh, and she's had a call from someone with her details claiming to be from them - and only got suspicious when they tried to get her credit card number, rather than sticking it on the exisiting direct debit).

But despite all that, she's just signed a new quadruple play deal with them, to take their (admittedly insanely cheap) mobile tariff, and re-signed for another year of brroadband, phone and TV.

The phone is about £7 a month for 200MB data, infinite texts and 600 minutes.

But Oh Good God what processor have they shoved in that YouView box? Is it a 286? You press the EPG button, and it takes twenty seconds. Changing channel takes over a minute, and the bugger takes about 5 minutes to boot. Modern Sky+ boxes boot in 5 seconds, and channel changing is almost instant - although I admit the last time I used a Virgin box (3-4 years ago) it was pretty shit.

4. djstardust

Dido Harding

Is still in her job amazingly. What gives?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Dido Harding

She's doing a great job! In the 4 years before she took over, they were the worst rated for customer service in every quarter. Now they're...

Second worst.

That's improvement that is!

5. ChunkyMonkey

You just cant help some people...

"the biz was successful in attracting more customers across its range of broadband, fixed landline and paid television for the quarter"

Some folks just rely on the "it couldn't happen again, not to me! Not to lovely dildo, we are all safe with this new 2p cheaper package

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: You just cant help some people...

"Some folks just rely on the "it couldn't happen again, not to me! Not to lovely dildo, we are all safe with this new 2p cheaper package"

That, and also they are the people with very short memories or never watch/listen to the news. Or maybe they did hear about TalkTalk on the news and now the only thing they remember is "TalkTalk was on the telly, on the news, they must be good"

6. Tezfair

poor speeds

I have 3 x customers that have TT business via a reseller and the speeds are untenable for all of them. I'm in the process of getting on of them out of the contract and also upgrading to fibre with BT

7. Wiltshire

You can fool some of the people all the time.

I'm still getting upgrade offers from TT. Despite leaving them as a phone-only provider 12 years ago, after they couldn't upgrade the voice-only line to voice+broadband. Why? Because the TT computer system told the call-centre drones we were a BT voice user.

Doh! Doh and thrice Doh!

1. Colin Ritchie
      Windows

I was an involuntary TT customer.

Originally signed up with Toucan in 2000, Toucan got swallowed by Tiscali, who then shoved me into Pipex, who were then bought out by Talk Talk. Toucan were ok, Tiscali bad, Pipex worse and by the time Talk Talk were finished with their transfer debacle, I had given up and jumped ship back to BT in 2012.

Infinity1 makes all of them look very pants indeed.

8. TWB

Not tha cheap

TT took over (consumed) the virgin.net ADSL business and knocked a whole 4 pence per month off my bill. I currently pay £17.24 per month for 16Gbs ADSL. I'd change if Mrs TWB was not so attached to her virgin.net email address. I keep warning her it will fail soon.....

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Not tha cheap

And the lesson to learn from that is that you should have a separate email provider. It makes switching ISP easier. And it's better still if you set up your own domain as it then makes switching email service provider easier.

1. TWB

Re: Not tha cheap

@Doctor Syntax - I have my own domain and separate email and it is giving my problems and Mrs TWB does not want an email address with the same domain.

But I agree with you completely.

9. joticatflap

The Biggest mystery is....how the heck are Talk Talk still in business??

1. Dwarf

Because they are still making a healthy profit on what they are charging and people are lazy - its got to be on fire before they consider changing it.

Its a bit like the Windows 10 debacle ..

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"its got to be on fire before they consider changing it."

In some cases it looks like it'll have to be burned to the ground and the ashes being blown away by the wind before they change.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"In some cases it looks like it'll have to be burned to the ground and the ashes being blown away by the wind before they change."

Not sure if this is a UK thing, a generational thing or just part of the human condition, but most people really don't like to switch providers. Ever!. No matter if it's gas, water, 'leccy, banking or ISPs, people really don't like change. There's a mental blockage that fears the hassle it might cause.

10. chivo243 Silver badge

Obvious

She's connected, she will not be sacked, in time she will bow out seeking "other avenues." No loss of face for her, integrity on the employer's part... It's a win-win-screw solution... Guess who gets screwed?

11. BHWraxall

Yes I was bumped from Tiscali to Pipex too. I'm now with Plusnet (BT). TalkTalk was hacked as we know. Recently my email address has been used on crapmail; sometimes, but not always, to some of my contacts. I do wonder if this is a leak via the TT hack as I think I'm pretty watertight here...

12. Jess

I certainly won't be recommending them.

After about a year of arguments after leaving them, they finally gave in. So that alone would stop me advocating them, but then they bought Blinkbox converted it to TalkTalk TV and dropped support for the PS3.

They cited lack of popularity, but I think that many potential users were waiting for it to support HD before investing in it, for anything other than UV replay. I know I was.

13. traderbam

It is almost as if the CEO of TalkTalk, a technology service provider, had qualifications for the job no better than, say, David Cameron! Ha, ha.

Oh shit. :-(

How does this detritus manage to float to the top?

14. PeterM42
    Angel

Near Miss

We were with Tesco, who were going to shunt us over to CrapCrap without really telling us.

Whew! near miss - switched to PlusNet instead. Now THEIR customer service is just that - SERVICE.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like