back to article Google unleashes TensorFlow 0.8 for your distributed machine learning needs

Version 0.8 of Google's open source machine learning library, TensorFlow, has been released, adding support for distributed computing so you can get your whole Beowulf cluster infected with its Skynet. TensorFlow is an open source software library for numerical computation using data flow graphs, and was released under the …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Is it useful for something?

...and why do they call it "TensorFlow"? There seems to be no tensors in there. Is it just because it sounds good?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From Wikipedia:

"the name TensorFlow itself derives from the operations in which [such] neural networks perform on multidimensional data arrays"

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

But why do these have Tensor character? I would understand this for QM simulations, but NNs are nonlinear, and heavily so. And "invariance of the tensor multiplication result under change of coordinate system" sounds not like something one is looking for here.

3. SquidEmperor

Cluster What?

The only word I understood in the article was "cluster" - I am assuming the rest of the article was a verbose rendition of the popular epithet with which the word normally precedes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like