Hey -- what is that oddball box on the left?

This topic was created by Alistair .

1. Alistair

Hey -- what is that oddball box on the left?

Is someone playing with layouts again???

"News Bytes" ????

Also -- fonts. I thought I'd borked a font recently - -but noticed that the footers are sometimes using really odd fonts.... < not the text blob at the bottom, the text wrappers around the footer articles >

1. DaLo

Re: Hey -- what is that oddball box on the left?

See here -> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/05/welcome/

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Hey -- what is that oddball box on the left?

Hate it.

2. Dwarf

Argghhh.

Yea, I agree, now there is virtually nothing to read on the front page, two squeezed mini articles. Its getting harder and harder to get to the information you need on this site - and I'm looking on a 4K monitor ATM!

Even the person who tried to squeeze it in there realised it was a bad move as they used tiny, tiny fonts for things. Its completely unreadable on the iphone and in general, its getting harder to read el reg from the train due to the random pictures.

Please understand your visitors and what we come here for.

I've not got time to play hunt the article each time I come here. --

Is it in the top right call-out area, nope, Is it in the body area, nope, Is it under the call-out area for the mega article in the middle, nope, its fallen off into older stories.

Suggest removing the new pane, or if you really must have it, then put it where all the pointless pictures are on the right hand side.where it says spotlight as I never use those either.

If you are stuck for space, you could also look de-cluttering the home page and using fluid layouts, 50% of my browser window is whitespace in empty columns. I made the browser that size so you can use it ...

You could also let users customise their page layout after login give me the option to hide the cruft I'm not interested in. then you get some real info on what people want.

For those who want to hide the pane, the div is called news_bytes, so a tweak of the css to display:none; works a treat. I've added the Stylish add-on to chrome to automate that for me.

1. Rimpel

Re: Argghhh.

Or use ublock orgin - hide element ###news_bytes

added to all the other crap I block on el reg to make it tolerable (nav bar, mast head, all images etc.)

2. Mint Sauce

They appear to have broken the mobile site too, I use that almost exclusively and it's not updated all day...well a few 'stub' articles have just appeared with next to no content. Maybe it's a work in progress... maybe it's DevOps in action ;-)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Marco Fontani

They appear to have broken the mobile site too, I use that almost exclusively and it's not updated all day

On the mobile site, the first three headlines after the "top stories" (the five headlines with pictures) are the news bytes. Then come the other stories.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Vimes

In addition they seem to be trying to squeeze not one but two adverts in the header above the main Register logo. It doesn't seem to happen all the time, but presumably now that they've had the larger adverts on occasion for a while now they decided they'd use the same expanded space for more than one advert.

https://patrick.seurre.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/register_ad3.PNG

It's as if somebody on their end is on a crusade to get as many people as possible to use ad blockers.

A question for the staff here: if it's a choice between a user seeing a single small advert or none at all, surely the small alternative is the best out of the two?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

like the last attempt to rejig the site, I thought they'd been hacked, or there's a problem with the web server

1. Vimes

...or an attempt to introduce 'sponsored' content (i.e. yet more adverts).

Thankfully this doesn't seem to be the case, but the formatting still seems to manage to suggest it somehow (perhaps the small differences in formatting contribute to that impression).

1. Known Hero

yet ... this will be reserved for sponsored articles shortly enough.

if it were for breaking news stories I am still wondering why google bricking people's home automation still isn't on this site !!!

5. Vimes

Also just noticed that the new section has introduced a larger gap than normal between the 2nd and 3rd row of the 'normal' headlines.

Does breaking up the layout like this with really make sense?

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Vimes

Personally I think the website could be improved just by keeping things as regular as possible. Something like the following screenshot for example (Chrome's developer tools can be useful for changing stuff sometimes) . There could be far more tweaks made, and perhaps the red/grey combination could be changed to something slightly better, but at least the font sizes are kept pretty much the same, and the borders - which seemed almost random sometimes - are minimised.

Personally I'd also suggest getting rid of the photos in the 'most read' section and having a similar bold style title/normal style summary used in the 'news bytes' section.

Thoughts?

https://patrick.seurre.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/register_styles_changed.PNG

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Thoughts?

No thoughts yet because:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /wp-content/uploads/2016/04/register_styles_changed.PNG on this server.

Apache Server at patrick.seurre.com Port 443

Am I doing something wrong?

1. Vimes

Re: Thoughts?

I block certain IP addresses if I tend to only see hacking attempts come from them. Which ISP do you use?

In any case I'll look at the rules in place this evening. Presumably your visit - or attempted visit at any rate - will show up in the access log so I should with any luck be able to figure out why that happened.

Re: Thoughts? / @Vimes / ISP

Deutsche Telekom AG / t-online

Unless I spoof it, but I'm pretty sure I tried without it.

Do I get bragging rights as a high-level cybercriminal now?

1. Vimes

Not quite. I did actually block that entire ISP a while ago and then forgot about it. At the time literally zero visits from any .de visitor were 'real' (i.e. they often requested specific pages and none of the supporting files, often multiple times and within very short spaces of time which is a bit of a giveaway when checking for bots). Plenty of visits were on the other hand dodgy and I even had one bot regularly try and scrape my site using the same ISP as you (called 'finbot' apparently).

In any case I've disabled the rule I believe was blocking you. It's not something I can easily check myself however so if you still have issues give me a shout.

Works!

And a much more appealing design choice!

8. SeanEllis

Move it right

I always skip the "top stories" - they're duplicates - and can easily ignore the right hand column of old stories as they look like ads and I'm pretty much banner blind these days.

Please move the "news bytes" out of the useful reading area - I suggest moving it into the right hand column where it's out of the way.

9. SeanEllis
    Boffin

Very quick and dirty Tampermonkey script:

[code]

// ==UserScript==

// @name The Register clutter elimination

// @namespace http://moteprime.org/

// @version 0.1

// @description Eliminate duplicate story areas

// @author Sean Ellis

// @match http://www.theregister.co.uk/

// @grant none

// ==/UserScript==

/* jshint -W097 */

function addCss(cssString) {

var head = document.getElementsByTagName('head') [0];

var newCss = document.createElement('style');

newCss.type = 'text/css';

newCss.innerHTML = cssString;

head.appendChild(newCss);

}

addCss(

'#top_tease { display: none ! important; } ' +

'#news_bytes { display: none ! important; } ' +

'#right-col { display: none ! important; } ' +

'.dont_miss { display: none ! important; } ' +

'.story_grid_img { display: none ! important; } ' +

'.headline_row.hidden { display: inline ! important; } '

);

[code]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon