back to article Vendor: Do we need Quality of Service with shared storage arrays?

I recently had a discussion with a vendor (who shall remain nameless) as to whether we really needed Quality of Service (QoS) in shared storage arrays. His thinking went as follows: if we have a storage array and network with sufficient bandwidth/IOPS, then why bother implementing QoS? At first this seems like a reasonable …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

QoS, maybe not now but later...

I both agree and disagree about the need for QoS in a all flash array.

Today’s AFA have SSD’s up to 3,84 TB. Just six month ( or less ) down the road, we have 7,xx GB and 15,xx GB SSD and the evolution continue.

With this rapid grow of SSD size, we back to the origin of the HDD problem where we can get the needed TB with fewer SSD’s but we need more of them for performance.

So, today’s AFA with a large number of SSD’s might not need a QoS option as there is plenty of performance anyway, but they are built to handle the larger SSD’s in the future and then QoS would be very handy.

2. Platypus

"If I have more resources than required"

Might as well stop there. That never happens for long. Where there's capability to spare, new workloads will be added until that's no longer the case. It happens with CPU, it happens with memory, and it happens with storage. Always has and always will. The real question is how to maximize the value of the IOPS you're providing when you're providing as many as you can. That means letting higher-value IOPS (e.g. for higher-value apps or tenants) take priority over lower-value IOPS, and that's QoS.

1. pPPPP

Indeed. If you've bought something that will always over-perform, then you've spent too much money.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Noisy Neighbour Avoidance

I found this article interesting: http://recoverymonkey.org/2016/04/08/the-well-behaved-storage-system-automatic-noisy-neighbor-avoidance/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Noisy Neighbour Avoidance

That link reads like an ad. "Here's a problem many of us have seen; using methods we won't explain we arrived at a solution we are selling."

Here's a more simple summary: if your issue is bursty sequential loads hurting response time of latency sensitive small block I/O, what we really want isn't full QoS, but a setting that allows small I/Os to be given preference over large block I/Os to varying degrees.

That doesn't solve every problem, but it solves the most common one of "my database performance suffers when <x> that does a lot of sequential I/O is running".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Noisy Neighbour Avoidance

it's more than just sequential workloads impacting random ones. That's just ONE of the challenges.

The article clearly explains there are other things that can impact storage systems, like internal to the array workloads (garbage collection for example).

A good automatic approach will take into account various performance inhibitors and balance them all.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

QoS a different way

I'll second what Platypus said regarding new workloads eventually filling capabilities until someone (or everyone) suffers. Having the ability to prioritize IO for one application or group of servers over the another is great...but in practice what I'd also like to be able to do is to set a _minimum_ response time. Today, when a new application comes on board a new or lightly loaded storage array, I can set their QoS setting to the lowest tier possible and they're still going to get fantastic performance. As other applications with higher priority are added to the same array, that first application starts whining because their response times are X times longer than they used to be (regardless of the fact they paid for the lowest performing storage I have to give). If by setting that first application QoS to the lowest available I could guarantee IOs no faster than say, 15ms, I could leave resources available on the array to service higher priority applications. If the lower QoS'ed servers want better performance, they could pay for an incremental amount and I could set their minimum response times to 10ms, or 5ms, or whatever. Upon setting that the application would in theory be able to immediately see improved performance that was consistent. I get the mindset that we want to go as fast as we can all the time, but that mode of operation has downsides too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: QoS a different way

I already do that. It works very well, provided you think it through properly.

5. Emperor Zarg

Application I/O Demand

All manner of technology solutions are available, but none will help unless there is a thorough understanding of the problem to be solved, namely: very few people really understand the I/O requirement of their application. Start there.

Then think about what technology you need and what tools and processes must be in place in order to manage it properly.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

QoS - really? Maybe for HDD and Flash....

Won't the adoption of 'faster than DRAM, slower than SRAM' non-volatile storage make QoS superfluous? That is, will FRAM, ReRAM, MRAM et al make 'just doing' the IO more sensible than spending lots of slow CPU cycles calculating QoS algorithms? QoS will become an unnecessary burden on a subsystem that doesn't really need it.

Sure, there will be contention on network/port access, but that is likely better dealt with by the network - not via QoS on the storage system.

These technologies will also mean we eventually shift to a 'shared memory' access model - so we'll worry about mutexes rather than queues and buffers. And why bother with cumbersome data copying (aka IO)? In fact we'll move to having both text and data pages in the non-volatile global address space, with volatile only used for stuff you explicitly want to disappear on an abend/bsod. Kinda back to the future?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon