back to article Ultra-rare WWII Lorenz cipher machine goes on display at Bletchley Park

A rare example of Hitler’s most secret cipher machine, the Lorenz, has been presented for display at the The National Museum of Computing (TNMOC) at Bletchley Park.* Lorenz messages were used to encrypt the messages of the German High Command during World War II. Much more complex than Enigma, the Lorenz cipher could be broken …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I wonder how Silicon Roundabout would have gone about cracking Lorenz ?

Logo ? Mission statement ? Branding hothousing and market analysis ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder how Silicon Roundabout would have gone about cracking Lorenz ?

So cynical. They'd have been having focus group meetings to decide whether the swastikas should go on the middle of the Union flag or around the outside.

1. Richard Wharram

The modern generation are Golgofrinchians compared to their forebears.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

six 2-week sprints, of course, one code wheel per sprint.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bean bags, colourful meeting rooms, team building sessions at the local cafe drinking expensive coffees and eating quinoa tofu bagels then lots of thought shower,paradigm shift and internal individualism expression sessions to try and work out what the problem is. About 2 years and 20 million pound later they would move onto employing mathematicians.

1. PNGuinn
        Mushroom

Mathematicians??

Why'd they want those smelly spoilsports at the party?

Anyway, £20 million would barely pay for the chemicals for the project launch party these days, let alone keep 'em all in whalesong and josticks for two whole years.

In any case this would be a grubbyment project - cue the usual suspects, a vast army of consultants, cost escalations, project resets, a bald minister or three, delays and a project delivered on time and on budget sometime in the 50's.

Which did not work because no one had defined the problem it was supposed to solve in the first place. But was a complete success because lessons had been learned.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"...and a project delivered on time and on budget sometime in the 50's."

Assuming the delays wouldn't have lead to the whole project being cancelled, or even an, um, unfriendly takeover ..

1. TRT Silver badge

"What's this extra wheel at the end for? It looks new. "

"Oh that... That's the GCHQ wheel. Government legislation dictates that we have to include that if we restore our encrypt/decrypt machines to operational condition."

2. Ross 12

That only applies to publicly visible government IT projects. Somehow, when it comes to seemingly impossible shit like spying on all electronic communications of the entire population for example, they can apparently make it happen quite successfully.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More like endless spaffing of VC cash on sweet fuck-all whilst angling to be acquired by Google/Facebork/whoever.

Cynic? Moi?

5. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
      Trollface

With DevOps it could have all been done in a week.

2. Mage Silver badge

Wonderful

I hope they have a good reunion.

3. W Donelson

Babbage on LSD ! WOOT !

WOOT !

4. Kubla Cant

Tunny

Another reconstructed machine on display at TNMOC, the Tunny, was used to decrypt the Lorenz traffic after it was configured with the wheel settings found by Colossus.

I'm pretty certain that Tunny was the codename for the cipher system, or, by extension, messages encrypted by it. Have you actually seen this machine?

The messages which (as was later found out) were enciphered using the Lorenz machine, were known as "Tunny". (The Lorenz Cipher)

and again:

Bletchley Park decrypts of messages enciphered with the Enigma machines revealed that the Germans called one of their wireless teleprinter transmission systems "Sägefisch" (sawfish), which led British cryptographers to refer to encrypted German teleprinter traffic as "Fish". "Tunny" was the name given to the first non-Morse link, and it was subsequently used for the Lorenz SZ machines and the traffic enciphered by them. (Wikipedia)

1. Andy Taylor

Re: Tunny

The Tunny machine was a logical equivalent of the Lorenz. It was based on Bill Tutte's analysis and an essential part of the decryption process. With the machine set up correctly, the encrypted message could be input and the output would be the plain text German.

The Heath Robinson and Colossus were used to find the start positions for each message.

You can see a working rebuild at TNMOC.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

The Heath Robinson and Colossus were used to find the start positions for each message.

The Colossus did and only needed to find the start positions of the middle 2 reels out of the 12 on Lorenz.

Because the chaps involved were mighty clever.

2. TReko

Here's quite a good BBC series on Lorenz and Tunny.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical bloody government

Always trying to break encryption and read all the secret messages.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Typical bloody government

not to mention increasing taxes"closing tax loopholes"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Typical bloody government

"Always trying to break encryption and read all the secret messages."

Yes, but in this case it was the secret messages of people who really did want to invade us and kill everybody. And the messages weren't made available to every bored or malicious policeman or council official. Because in those days things were run by people who had a clue. Which is why Bletchley Park got so big in the first place.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A great day...

...can be had at Bletchley Park, and if you have any time left after visiting The National Museum of Computing, have a look at their rich neighbours show.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A great day...

Totally agree.

Well, as a member of TNMOC, I'd have to agree with you.

There are at least a few lines of my code running in the Radar Displays (PDP-11 Powered) that are on show.

The other highlight (Apart from all the Encryption related stuff is the Cray-1 complete with seating.

1. AIBailey
        Thumb Up

I loved seeing the Cray 1, for some reason it gives me goosebumps, as it was always this legendary super computer. They've got one at the Science Museum in London as well, and that had the same affect - it's like bumping into members of a famous 70's band whilst wandering around Sainsburys. Unexpected, you think they'd died years ago, and your first thought is "you're smaller than I expected you to be".

However the best part for me was seeing the WITCH running. That's how I expected an early computer to be - all flashing lights and clicking relays.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I loved seeing the Cray 1, for some reason it gives me goosebumps, as it was always this legendary super computer."

...the thing that never fails to amaze me is that the Cray has less compute power and less I/O bandwidth than a mobile phone. Which doesn't need Freon cooling.

Now consider that the Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost could do 70mph steadily on suitable roads in 1908 and that supercar speeds have increased by barely a factor of 3 in over 100 years, appreciate the significance of Moore's Law.

2. energystar
      Trollface

Yea,

Defending true encryption 'til the last drop of blood for us poor b&$#&*%$!

1. Dale 3
        Happy

poor b&$#&*%$

Pfft, I see your cipher is just a simple letter substitution!

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

"Has the serial number 1137"

One typo short of leetness and it's 3 x 379, too.

(What would have happened if a joker german had randomly inserted "Hallo Churchill, du alter Sack, wir wissen dass du dies liest!" into an otherwise standard top secret message about Hitler's preferred napkin colour etc.?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Has the serial number 1137"

I can't be the only one who actually read it as 1337 first...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"What would have happened if a joker german had randomly inserted "

What makes you think a German with a sense of humour would ever be allowed near a Lorenz machine? Even the Russian generals had more sense of humour than the Germans.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

"What makes you think a German with a sense of humour would ever be allowed near a Lorenz machine"

they weren't. Instead, you get humorless people who used common phrases like 'Heil Hitler' at the beginning and/or end of EVERY! STINKING! MESSAGE! which were then used as 'cribbs' to help decode the remainder of the message.

[if they'd started every message with a RANDOM JOKE, this crypt-cracking exploit might not have been possible]

maybe something like this one:

"Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!"

3. DropBear

"What would have happened if a joker german had randomly inserted "

I expect much the same thing as if you'd shout "I don't have a bomb" in the middle of an airport today - except with arguably more lethal consequences and less subsequent tweeting than today. But I think the exercise would give you a pretty good demo, assuming you'd live to tell the tale.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TOP GEAR

Looking forward to seeing James May 'Reassembling' that thing!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These ain't Logitech speaker boxes, son!

What does "emo" and "emf" as seen on the front-mounted boxes mean?

1. maniacminer
      Pint

Re: These ain't Logitech speaker boxes, son!

emo = Empfangsmagneten der Ortsfernschreibmaschine (receiving magnets for the local teleprinter)

emf = Empfangsmagneten der Fernschreibmaschine (receiving magnets for the teleprinter)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: These ain't Logitech speaker boxes, son!

Cool!

The fact that one could also write "(Orts)fernschreibmaschineempfangsmagneten" makes my head explode.

I am eagerly awaiting El Reg doing an article about Helmut Hölzer's A4 computer guidance system.

10. SkippyBing

WRNS

I think rather than putting 'WRNS - Wrens' it might have been useful to put 'WRNS - Women's Royal Naval Service'. That being what it stood for...

11. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

Information

Now the climate seems to have shifted so that those responsible for their very important war work receive full credit, do we think that there is a possibility of a reprint of the original edition of Gordon Welchman's The Hut Six Story, not the bowdlerised one?

PS: can you imagine reverse engineering the logical design of the Lorenz from operator mistakes, cribs and sheer trial and error? amazing.

1. Gimme Badge

Re: Information

For what its worth I picked up a copy of "The hut Six Story" - first edition - for 8 $US last week ; its only taken a year to find a copy I could afford ...

12. GrumpyKiwi
    Gimp

This is all very well and good, but I don't see a single mention of DevOps in this article. How did it sneak past the New Reg Editorial Board™?

1. Kurt Meyer

Optional

Grumpy, even though DevOps is the Life Giving Spunk O the Gods, even the hardiest must needs recuperate. It may help to think of this article as the post-shag ciggie. I've little doubt they'll be back at it shortly.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Mushroom

Because the whole fucking war was DevOps, all day, every day.

(While some people were sitting pretty and living the high life, as is the custom on Planet Earth)

NUKE ICON APPROPRIATENESS FACTOR: 100%

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"at the The National Museum of Computing (TNMOC)"

Apart from the sub-editing cock-up, what kind of person puts the "The" into an acronym ?

Is it just for things based in Yorkshire, or do we now have to use "TRAF" and "TRFU" ?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: "at the The National Museum of Computing (TNMOC)"

"The Artist Formerly Knowns as Prince"?

and of course

"The Interface Formerly Known as Metro" (TIFKAM)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Someone who finds their initials without the "T" are already in use and they want a consistent marketing approach, e.g. a website that matches?

3. Jedit Silver badge
      Joke

"Is it just for things based in Yorkshire"

Exactly. The author just held t'Shift key down too early, it's meant to be t'NMOC.

4. Andy Taylor

NMOC is the National Maritime Operations Centre.

14. Bibbit

The pessimist's view.

A thing of beauty but I bet it gets nicked within a month.

1. Allan George Dyer

Re: The pessimist's view.

... and then it gets returned when the crime realise that they don't know anyone with another one to exchange messages with.

15. JaitcH
    Thumb Up

In these days of programmable circuitry, we forget ...

that the magnificent mechanical engineering that was involved in these encryption / decryption strategies. No whipping out a soldering iron, or tapping away on a keyboard, no it required a skilled machinist on a lathe to execute the next 'test' sample.

Even the 'simple' teleprinter (Teletype) was a mechanical marvel that was reproduced in their millions by skilled assembly workers - none of your mass produced PCBs around at that time.

The Western Teletypes were mass produced and had tolerances that proved it. The German manufactured equivalents were precision machines, as anyone viewing them will know.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: In these days of programmable circuitry, we forget ...

"that the magnificent mechanical engineering that was involved in these encryption / decryption strategies"

and yet, those 'precision machines' were generating 'secure' messages that were being cracked, almost 'in real time' [by the end of the war], by skilled crypto experts and primitive computing equipment that was essentially built from spare parts by genius hackers.

obligatory reference to Arthur C. Clarke's "Superiority"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like