back to article Microsoft hopes to shine light on shadow IT

The first fruits of Microsoft's 2015 acquisition of Adallom are ripening with Redmond announcing its Cloud App Security offering is now generally available. The idea of Cloud App Security is to cover off the data loss danger in “shadow IT” – the use of cloud apps that people have contracted using the departmental credit card, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

But seriously

Surely any credible securidee system would start by disabling all Windows 10 installs?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But seriously

Well said sir!

Maybe this is their way out.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Yes, when I read "...Cloud App Security is to cover off the data loss danger..." I immediately thought "physician heal thyself".

3. Red Bren

Fix the problem, not the symptoms

Perhaps IT departments would be better off determining why staff go looking for unofficial solutions.

Sometimes it's cost - why pay IT X times what a third party charges for what appears to be the same thing?

Sometimes it's time - why wait N months for IT to do the job when a third party will deliver on demand?

IT need to get better at demonstrating the added value they deliver, the risk mitigation that their "slow" processed provide, and the hidden costs that the third party price tags never show.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Beware some imaginary shadow don't get you!

I know of no business where “80 per cent” or even one percent of staff can install and run their own software. So basically Microsoft invokes an imaginary bogeyman to induce companies to install a Microsoft auditing system that will allow Microsoft to identify, control and eventually eliminate, third party applications.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like