back to article Surprise! Magic Kinder app could let hackers send vids to your kids

Security watchers have warned of massive privacy problems with the Magic Kinder App for children. A lack of encryption within the Magic Kinder smartphone app and other security shortcomings open the doors for all sorts of exploits, they claim. Hacktive Security alleges that a malicious user could "read the chat of the …

1. BebopWeBop
    Happy

The yolks on Kinder then?

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Coat

Yeah, the pen-testers worked on the eggs and were able to get shell access.

2. Rol

I remember when software sometimes had Easter Eggs

Now it seems a nuclear payload is the only surprise awaiting the unwary.

1. Stoneshop
      Devil

Re: I remember when software sometimes had Easter Eggs

Now it's Easter Eggs with software.

The New Disruptive Paradigm. Or something.

<deviled_eggs.ico>

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lack of encryption again...

I would say it would be good if some government would pass a law mandating encryption but they seem to be going the other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgYIebQx9ws

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But if we allowed encryption then the easter bunny terrorists would ... something ... something .... Therasa May .... Daily Mail headline ...

4. Little Mouse
    Childcatcher

The "best" bit of the Kinder egg was always the yellow capsule that the "surprise" came in. You could use them for all sorts of stuff. They were even watertight! Yay!

But then they had to go and ruin even that by putting on a crappy hinge lid.

1. Camilla Smythe

Bollocks

The "best" bit of the Kinder egg was always the yellow capsule that the "surprise" came in.

I might 'almost' get your drift but...

There is absolutely nothing of merit in respect of a Kinder Egg. A measly bit of 'chocolate' surrounding some bits of dysfunctional and malformed plastic. They are the failed confectioners equivalent of worse than Christmas Crackers.

Whilst I might dislike my parents for other reasons they never bought me one, they must have loved me, but I made the mistake of trying one out for myself when I left home.

"Here you go Camilla. Kinder Surprise."

"Thanks Mum... Uhm what was the Surprise?"

"It's got toys in it."

"We might have to have a discussion about the definition of 'toys'."

"You have to use your imagination."

"Perhaps you can help out with that imagination thang...?"

"Well..."

"Or give me pocket money so *I* can buy liquorice and do squirty black poo?"

1. Little Mouse

Re: Bollocks

But "Kinder Crushing Disappointment" just doesn't have that same ring to it though...

Marketing. There's a fortune to be made selling cheap tat - as long as you package it right.

1. Camilla Smythe

Marketing. You can sell anything to anyone if you package it right.

Whut!

http://www.kinder.co.uk/en/kinder-surprise

When I switch off No-Script I get...

Dear Parent, We created this site for you and your family to obtain more information about Kinder. To view this site you must be over 12 years old, or have the permission of a parent... and then get asked to enter my date of birth. Where's the cookie warning?

Bugger being 9yrs old I'll haxxor that one by saying I was born 25/12/2000....

I'm in!!!1!!! Colour me L33T

"Kinder Surprise contains the taste of Kinder chocolate, with a surprise and toy in every single egg. The combination of these three elements creates a world of fun and entertainment that helps children to develop their imagination while reassuring mothers at the same time."

1) Mmmm Shit Chocolate....

2) WTF is this yellow plastic thing..? Must be the surprise.

3) Oh its got some other bits of plastic in it.

Just a moment. Wish my Mom and Pop looked like that.. Yo Parents! Why are you not like these folks on the Kinder Web Site? Hey, Compared to the other kids I'm quite ugly.. maybe I should go full on bulimic, join ISIS or get my parents to Buy Me Kinder Surprise so as I can learn about 'Fun and Entertainment'..'Develop My Imagination'.. and 'Reassure My Mother'.

Sigh, perhaps I should just log in to 'The Router' and edit the XML so I can point its DNS somewhere else so I can do some fucking homework.

2. tiggity Silver badge

There's an Isle of Wight museum you can donate said squirty stuff to now so the public can ponder the effects of liquorice.

3. Joseph Eoff

Sorry, but if you *like* the taste of black liquorice then you have no taste buds *at ALL* left which makes your opinion on the taste of *ANYTHING* absolutely invalid.

1. Camilla Smythe

Bet you don't like Marmite either or Proper Lion Brand Midget Gems. More a Lemon Curd and Maynards sort of person? No need to apologise for yourself... I'll just get my handbag. Mines the one full of anvils.

5. NotBob
    Trollface

Won't somebody think of the children?

6. James 51
    Childcatcher

There has to be some enforceable minimum level of security for apps. Even if it's just the Information Commissioner drooling on their shoes.

7. FuzzyWuzzys
    Facepalm

What a crock!

" The mobile software aims to offer “strategic, educational games and quizzes to improve children's skills and development”. "

Oh what a load of tosh! It's designed to make them think, "Hmmm, Kinder chocolate, I could really go for....MUM! Can I have a Kinder Egg?!"

1. Mark 85

Re: What a crock!

Not having seen the app, I'll bet it's loaded with "product placement", etc... Today's kids are consumers. Tomorrow it's their kids. The customer base builds.....

2. Halfmad

Re: What a crock!

Annoyingly my daughter loves kinder eggs, but she's not a huge fan of chocolate so she takes a tiny bit, grabs the yellow egg for the toy then leaves the rest. I don't like chocolate at all, so it usually ends up in the bin..

Yay I've just paid 70p for a toy worth less than 5p, great.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I inadvertantly ate a Kinder easter egg last week

I don't know what it tasted like, but it was definitely not chocolate as I know it. I suspect a great number of kids will be in need of some serious head shrinkage therapy once they find out what the real stuff tastes like. And they start wondering if maybe their parents didn't love them.

I'd use the 'Joke Alert' tag, but I'm not sure I'm joking.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: I inadvertantly ate a Kinder easter egg last week

Unfortunately now that Cadbury's tastes like Hershey's, there's precious little real stuff left.

2. BebopWeBop

Re: I inadvertantly ate a Kinder easter egg last week

I don't know what it tasted like, but it was definitely not chocolate

You do realise that you are not meant to eat the plastic stuff coated by the brown shite (which I suppose at least looks vaguely chocalatey)?

9. SquidEmperor

Thank God

I have to tell you this is a relief; it's been a nightmare copying my videos to a USB stick and then hiding them in a Kinder Egg.

1. PaulAb

Re: Thank God

I would like it known that I do have puppies for sale and have not ever (until now) tried to gain access to the Kinder app.

N.B. Copying data to a usb stick is ridiculous, a young child might choke on such a gift enclosed in a choking gift

10. Teiwaz

They should have stuck to their 'traditional' business instead of jumping onto the ' webby' bandwagon (only to fall off the back and look silly).

I personally always enjoyed kinder eggs as a kid, as long as it was one of those toys you had to assemble yourself not some one piece badly painted 'model' I couldn't identify (the only 'disappointment' IMO). If the chocolate was not 'real' chocolate, the same could be said of a lot of other confection (many were truly nasty, 'crunchy frog' to 'spring surprise' nasty).

For the money, a sugar rush and something to entertain for ten to twenty minute before you lost it down the back of the sofa..

Reminds me of the chewing gum in plastic matchboxes with pop-music badge you used to be able to get late 70's early 80's (the amount of money I spent on those to collect the badges and 3 out of 5 of them were 'the clash' - then there was the odd 'score' Toyah with her tit out!!).

1. IsJustabloke
      WTF?

say what?

"then there was the odd 'score' Toyah with her tit out!!."

did it weally have her tit on it? Or do you mean she was dueting with Adam Ant? :D

1. Teiwaz

Re: say what?

She was wearing a pasty.

It was less than an inch across (the badge! not the pasty).

1. x 7

based on this crappy photo?

http://bit.ly/1MbdjJl

PS your boss may feel thats NSFW

1. Teiwaz

"based on this crappy photo?

http://www.punk77.co.uk/graphics/bandpunkettesbandpunkettes/toyah.jpg"

Quite possibly same photoshoot, different image (no shades, different pose). Same or similar top though

(I only mentioned the Toyah badge as a funny aside to my comment on kinder eggs - why are we obsessing over it? Have we not matured at all since 1979?)

1. x 7

"Have we not matured at all since 1979?"

Nope!

Shame, I never saw her in concert - in fact only time I have ever seen her was at a King Crimson concert at the Albert Hall in the 1990's: she had the royal box to herself and was dressed as the Krimson Queen.

Dunno why she wasn't used in that Dr Who episode with the steampunk Cyberking....

1. Teiwaz

""Have we not matured at all since 1979?"

Nope!"

- Clearly not, it was a rhetorical question. I still remember the badge after all these years even if it was lost decades ago.

"Dunno why she wasn't used in that Dr Who episode with the steampunk Cyberking...."

- At first I thought you were referring to the episodes with the 'bertie basset' robot. Must be the hairdo on that old photoshoot reminded me of the Sylvester McCoy era episode 'Happiness Patrol'.

1. x 7

"- At first I thought you were referring to the episodes with the 'bertie basset' robot. Must be the hairdo on that old photoshoot reminded me of the Sylvester McCoy era episode 'Happiness Patrol'."

I meant the "Miss Hartigan" character who became the crimson-dressed Cyberqueen in the episode "The Next Doctor". With one of the other lead characters being named "Mr Lake" it seemed more than coincidence. The dress Toyah wore at the Albert Hall concert was very similar to the one worn by the Hartigan character (played by an Irish actress whose name I forget) - it really made me wonder if the set designer or dresser had been at the concert

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge
            Trollface

I'm no fool! That's David Bowie!

3. Mark 85
            Flame

based on this crappy photo?

http://bit.ly/1MbdjJl

PS your boss may feel thats NSFW

Thanks for that. Now I'll spend the rest of the day looking for mind bleach.. I know I had some around here left over from following a different link on El Reg....

Icon... if I can't find the mind bleach.. I'll try fire --------------->

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Reminds me of the chewing gum in plastic matchboxes with pop-music badge you used to be able to get late 70's early 80's (the amount of money I spent on those to collect the badges and 3 out of 5 of them were 'the clash' - then there was the odd 'score' Toyah with her tit out!!).

Hey, I managed to collect the complete set of Mexico '86 and Italy '90 playing cards from those bubble gum packs!

1. BebopWeBop

Hey, I managed to collect the complete set of Mexico '86 and Italy '90 playing cards from those bubble gum packs!

Not a patch on Torah, with or without **** hanging out.

1. x 7

"Not a patch on Torah, with or without **** hanging out."

TOYAH!!!

God forbid that there ever be collectors cards on the Torah.....

1. Teiwaz

"God forbid that there ever be collectors cards on the Torah....."

Wasn't that done already, according to the bible, Moses came down the mountain carrying the early stone version of collectors cards.

Collectors cards of the Tarot might be an idea...give the born agains or FreeP's something to complain about (not that they really need an excuse or a sane reason)...

11. Someone_Somewhere

You call it kidnapping

I call it surprise adoption.

12. Cynic_999

Why does it need encryption? Encryption helps pedoterrorism so is bad. If the kids & family have nothing to hide (apart from an abysmal choice of confectionary), they have nothing to fear.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IoT

More Internet-of-Tat???

1. Teiwaz

Re: IoT Tat for Tit

"More Internet-of-Tat???"

The internet already has plenty of tits on it (literally and figuratively) and now we have more tits purveying useless tat as the days go by.

14. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. That's why I buy Kinder Surprise. Horrible chocolate; nasty little toy: a double-whammy of disillusionment! Sometimes I eat the toy out of sheer despair. I call them the Eggs Of Numbing Inevitability. And when I buy them, I always ask for them in the third person: "Bill Bailey would like the Eggs Of Numbing Inevitability." I did that the other day and it answered me back, and he said to me: "No, I am Bill Bailey. You are not Bill Bailey, you are just a mere doppelgänger. I am the true Bill Bailey, in another dimension." And I went, "Oh, I hadn't planned on that." Then I thought the only way to solve this, I have to run at my doppelgänger, then we will be fused forever. So I ran full-tilt at it, and just before I got there I realised it was the highly polished side of the cheese counter.

Bill Bailey, Bewilderness, 2001

15. razorfishsl

Yep and Vtech got off 'scott free' in Hong Kong.

in Europe the government would be all over you for such a mess.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon