back to article Three million satellite snaps now free for all

NASA and Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry have announced that all Earth imaging data from the ASTER instrument on NASA's Terra spacecraft are now free-as-in-beer. ASTER – the Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Radiation radiometer – was Japan's contribution to the instruments aboard Terra, and it's been …

1. PaulAb

Finally......

I may get to see if my ridge tiles need replacing

1. frank ly

Re: Finally......

Don't you know about drones with cameras? Where have you been?

1. Mark 85

Maybe his neighbors keep shooting his drones down?

2. mosw

Those are some ridge tiles if they are bigger than 15 x 15 metres.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Government UI

This is what happens when government builds a UI - Everything is there, all the boxes are ticked, but it's unusable.

https://search.earthdata.nasa.gov/search?m=51.572021484375!-1.40625!7!1!0!&ff=Map+Imagery

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Government UI

The data and use cases are pretty different. Even so, if you'd have said this a few years back when Google Maps' UI wasn't bollocks you might have had a point. However now it is.

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Nice!

Me, and many other scientists can really use a huge database of images to test our algorithms for seriously big images. We are now moving from "mere" gigapixel images to tens and hundreds of gigapixel (per image), and hope to breach the terapixel level soon. More (free) data to test stuff is very, very welcome.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: Nice!

Just checked, the resolution is not that high (15m at best) so a swath should be about 4000 pixels wide. Still, some extra multi-band data for extending our algorithms to that domain is always welcome

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like