back to article Military intelligence, AI style: MoD cosies up to Massive Analytic

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has received a “milestone” report from Massive Analytic, a company developing an “artificial precognition and decision-making support [system] for persistent surveillance-based tactical support.” Massive Analytic, as we reported last year, is an automated analytics startup – and one of 24 SMEs …

1. Triggerfish

So if we team this up with the Microsoft chatbot, do we create the first Robo Hitler?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Or the first chatbot that communicates entirely in banter ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Sorry I nuked your grandma with a Hellfire missile. It was just friendly banter..."

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

its Innovation Warehouse in Farringdon

I can just imagine the scene. All the towering racking and the fork lifts scurrying here & there with their loads of innovations.

Re: its Innovation Warehouse in Farringdon

Not scurrying, They have produced a breakthrough AI which can wear a brown coat and sit in an office drinking tea while denying that an urgent delivery has arrived - when you can see it sitting on the counter.

It is believed to be the first AI to pass the Turing test, or the first warehouse man to fail it - the philosophers are still debating.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

“artificial precognition and decision-making support [system] for persistent surveillance-based tactical support”

- or as I like to call it, a CACF* system.

*Computer Aided Charlie Foxtrot. Screwing up things in new and unexpected ways.

4. Uberseehandel

Coincidence ? or not?

imagine something called massive being located in a Meat market! No wonder the brass hats are besides themselves

5. Sgt_Oddball

mass data!= good data

I'd be interested to see how the different data sources are weighted as well as how good it's data cleaning is (after all GIGO when it comes to databases).

So how long before this starts affecting front line strategy in real time and/or manages to cause an international incident based on poor data?

Re: mass data!= good data

You have the GIGO principle wrong when it comes to internaltional geo-politics.

It will decide to attack somewhere and then calculate the required evidence to justify that decision. Afterwards it will delete the evidence.

To be honest we shouldn't have given it so much real-world training data

6. Unep Eurobats
    Flame

Massive Analytic

Just what you need in the event of a Massive Attack.

Anyone else got the chorus of 'Protection' running through their heads?

(Blue Lines ->)

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

Massive Analytic

So, now we have before us the origin story of Massive Dynamics.

Which one is William Bell ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Massive Analytic

I read that as "Massive Dynamic" at first when I saw the story, and did a double take wondering how there was really a company with that name if they'd used it in the series since you'd think they'd sue!

8. x 7

why the photo of an archaic bit of kit like the VC10?

You do know they've all been scrapped?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Isn't this... Skynet?

Or as close as you can get using what passes for Artificial Intelligence these days. Still too close for comfort. Turns out, actual intelligence isn't necessary for blowing up random unsuspecting humans terrorists.

1. Sgt_Oddball
      Gimp

Re: Isn't this... Skynet?

One man's terrorist is another man's rebel scum freedom fighter.

10. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Surely nothing new to see there? Everyone's doing it, with some good, and many more bad at IT

As Pennycook told us, the CDE was seeking out “anyone with an innovative idea that has a potential defence or national security application. In focusing on innovative technologies our investments in science and technology research are high risk with high potential benefit.”

Hmmm? ....... An InQTel/DARPA/IARPA clone and remote controlled drone for fantastic programming? ..... InQTel / DARPA / IARPA

And who and/or what do the MOD CDE work for? Are they Puppet Servant or Master Puppeteer?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like