back to article Sony updates PS3 firmware, again

Sony clearly hopes it's able to put the recent PlayStation 3 firmware fiasco behind it, and so it's issued yet another update for the console. Before you go getting too excited though, the latest version – which is called 2.42 - doesn’t sound as though it adds any juicy features, like in-game XMB menu access. A short and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearly James would like

to own a console that's fixed and rarely gets updated. I think the Xbox is like that, there hasn't been any juicy updates on that for about a year now.

You look at how much Sony have caught the 360 up, with PS3 features (and in some cases, like DivX support, overtaken them).

Personally, I am glad of frequent updates. Anyone that isn't really should fo back to their luddite cave, and they REALLY shouldn't be writing for a tech rag, or calling themselves a techie.

This demonstrates how out of his depth James Sherwood is, when he complains about having too many features added.

2. James Owen

In Game XMB access???

Didn't the last FW (2.41) start providing this? Cos I can certainly access my XMB when playing a game!

3. P J

dont bother

All the games I own work fine - pointless update. I'll wait for the next one.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

reply to catch up/overtake comment

"Sony have caught the 360 up, with PS3 features (and in some cases, like DivX support, overtaken them"

i have both a PS3 and 360; and i don't think the ps3 has yet caught up to the 360, let alone overtaken it, (at least on the US versions of the systems i own.) Don't flame me ps3 fanboys -- i do LOVE my ps3: i love its bluray, i love my linux install on it, i love the user-upgradeable hard drive, i love its standard bluetooth support, and i love its looks and see it as a great device capable of even more in the future. however, some reasons i disagree with this comment are as follows:

ps3 is divx certified, but the xbox also plays divx files PLUS it supports many other codecs the ps3 refuses to play (ps3 claims such non-divx files are unsupported)

ps3 finally has in game xmb which allows you to play locally-installed music while in-game; but 360 allows me to play/stream music from various media servers on my network while in-game

ps3 network may be free, but 360 makes it so much easier to hop in and start playing. for example: online portion of BF:BC demo (and even online portion of PS3 exclusive MGS4) required you to jump through many hoops to play online.

DLC game content is generally released on 360 before the ps3

ps3 trophies don't (yet) really generate the same feelings of accomplishment and bragging rights as upping your gamerscore via 360 achievements

in short, my 360 is the system i use 85% of the time. right now, my ps3 is used to watch bluray movies, play ps3 exclusives, use linux, play ps/ps2 games and view content from various media cards (i have the original 60GB ps3)

again - both are great systems and hold a big place in my heart; but, the ps3 would overtake 360 use in my home if sony addressed the issues i mentioned above. (the next showdown in my house: let's see if (soon-to-be released) playstaion HOME and littleBIGPlanet take up more of my time than 360's forthcoming live gameshows and no-fuss netflix support for xbl gold members.)

happy gaming!

5. Pharaoh
    Heart

Music visualisations

More Music visualizations is all I want. I use my ps3 for music all the time. I'm getting bored of the waves and earth.

Other then that the ps3 has everything I need.

This topic is closed for new posts.