back to article Oracle's website, social media to wear sandwich board of shame over Java SE insecurity

The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has signed off a settlement with Oracle over its handling of Java SE updates. The regulator said all four commissioners voted to approve the deal, which requires Oracle to alert everyone visiting its website and social media profiles to the fact that it left old and vulnerable editions of …

1. Stevie

Bah!

Stop saying "Java update ready to install" when you mean "Umpteen megabyte Java update ready to be downloaded".

And stop shilling fucking Yahoo search as part of the install once it damn well does download.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Bah!

Besides a worthless BHO, I understand the major problem with Java is that there is a lot of legacy trash that requires an older, unsupported JVM. This trash is often an unsupported legacy applications. Being fair to Leisure Suit Larry and his minions this is not a unique problem to Java. So blithely removing the older JVM may actually break the code. And the real problem is the unwillingness of companies to either ditch the trash for something or get the updated version neither is Leisure Suit Larry's fault.

1. Steve K

Absolutely - even some of Oracle's own products have needed to use old JRE/JDK versions on both client (and server) sides.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We love you M.J.

Perhaps someone can write a Java Applet that will automatically sign the petition for you, once launched.

We could call it payback-ware!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just stop using Java on the desktop.

I have no issues with Java as a language or its use in "some" embedded systems or even providing the runtime for a server based application but I have no appetite to have it installed on my desktop. I got fed up with the constant need for updates each fixing dozens of security vulnerabilities and having to select not to have some extra crap being installed each time so I uninstalled it.

Your mileage may vary but I hardly notice it being gone. I get the odd rare web site where a video doesn't run and when that happens it occurs to me that I din't actually care about seeing the video: certainly not enough to reinstall Java.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

…make Java, Ruby and JavaScript "illegal" to use in the US and its territories

Errm, good luck with that.

Going to make developing any kind of non-static webpage mighty difficult to achieve, and whose to say other languages won't have the same problems?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: …make Java, Ruby and JavaScript "illegal" to use in the US and its territories

Exactly. A "page" (or "document") should be quite static and don't run any kind of code. An application is a different thing. The whole problem with the "web" was turning "pages" into "applications" without understanding truly what it meant. And a "browser" which is also a kind of application environment is another issue. Time to separate the two kind of "web" formats, and the tools used to access them. An ugly mess of "documents" which are also "applications" is just dangerous. I thought the mess Office macros are could have taught something, but no, the web replicated exactly that mess.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: …make Java, Ruby and JavaScript "illegal" to use in the US and its territories

Exactly. A "page" (or "document") should be quite static and don't run any kind of code. An application is a different thing. The whole problem with the "web" was turning "pages" into "applications" without understanding truly what it meant.

Yep, so you're in favour of the bad old days when a dedicated version of an application had to be written for each supported platform.

One for Windows pre-8. One for Windows 8+. One for MacOS X. One for iOS. One for Android. One for Ubuntu Linux. One for Fedora Linux. One for FreeBSD…

Even for things like email. Probably one of the early really hugely successful non-trivial web applications was a funny one called HoTMaiL. Remember them? I do.

Prior to them coming along, email access meant setting up an email client on the computer you were using. Yes, a dedicated email client is a good way to access your email, and has many advantages, security being but one. However, this isn't always an option, and these days, the web email clients are almost as good, better in some cases, than the native ones.

One bonus being it mostly doesn't care what your host platform is.

Now, we could strip the browser back to just processing HTML itself, with no client-side code handling and do everything back at the server, then provide some mechanism for the simple browser to start up a more capable client, hand over the session and let the more capable client take it from there. (Geez, that sounds like Java Web Start.)

However, the question has to be asked as to whether this protects the user any more than the present situation, and whether writing it in some other language, say, C# or VBScript would make it any more secure.

I'm not convinced yet that it would.

2. g e

Yet Flash is OK?

Hmmm... MJ works for Adobe perchance?

1. Mage Silver badge

Any language can be used appropriately or badly.

3. Justin Clift

Breakable Oracle

Not so "Unbreakable" now are you Oracle?

And, just coz: http://ded.ninja/dear_oracle/dear_oracle02.jpg

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And while we are at it

They should also gather and publicly shame a bunch of other companies like Cisco, IBM, HP and many others who have forced us to use old versions of Java in order to access the graphical management interface of many of their products. Shudder...!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And while we are at it

Why stop there?

Next up: Microsoft and the abomination called Silverlight (yes, Logitech, I'm looking at you).

5. AMBxx Silver badge
    Windows

Hall of shame

ActiveX

Flash

Java

ActiveX is nearly gone

Flash is hanging on by fingertips

Java just needs a little push to be gone

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I think java is going to need more than just "a little push" to be gone.

It's everywhere these days, in your DVD/BluRay player, in your effing "smart" TV, and in a bunch of PC applications that continue to be used today.

Until the infatuation with java stops in the offices of consumer industry, we will lug that millstone around with naught to do but complain.

1. Wibble
        Holmes

> Until the infatuation with java stops in the offices of consumer industry, we will lug that millstone around with naught to do but complain.

And the alternative to Java for embedded systems is....?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

And the alternative to Java for embedded systems is....?

Pretty much anything. LLVM and similar techniques have taken much of the pain out of embedded runtimes.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I can't imagine using Java in an embedded system in the first place. Especially as every day I have to use massive, slow Java based tools from the big chip vendors. It's a constant reminder to use ABJ if efficiency is required. And productivity, for that matter.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hall of shame

Good luck, especially since Java powers all those Android devices... sure, not the Oracle sanctioned one, but still Java...

1. chivo243 Silver badge

@LDS

Didn't I read that 3 billion devices run Java? Maybe it was a bad dream...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Trollface

3 billion and counting… downwards.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

.. Silverlight ..

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Knowing LaRrY....

The two year notice will be up on the website but hidden behind a paywall or on a page full of toxic ads… Apologies? That's for losers who don't understand the Art of War!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Knowing LaRrY....

The two year notice will be up on the website but hidden behind a paywall or on a page full of toxic ads

I'd love him to try that, because he'd get slapped so hard he'll be back on his island without the benefit of a plane. Pissing off judges is never a good idea.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hands up who thinks it will say anything but this...

"... requires Oracle to alert everyone visiting its website and social media profiles to the fact that it left old and vulnerable editions of Java SE on computers – leaving people at the mercy of hackers when they thought they were patched up."

Instead expect hamwashed corporateese starting with 'At Oracle we care about your security ....'

8. Thunderbird 2

Is JavaRa (the checks for latest, installs and removes old versions proggy) still around?

9. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

Removing old versions

I had to update a workstation, and Java popped up saying please update me too! I updated it, and when it finished a window popped up asking if I wanted to remove the old and potentially "dangerous" versions that were still installed.

Never thought anything like that was possible!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like