back to article Japan loses contact with new space 'scope just weeks after launch

Japan's newest space telescope has mysteriously gone quiet barely a month after launch, and engineers at the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) are desperately trying to reestablish contact. On February 17, the x-ray telescope ASTRO-H blasted off from Tanegashima Space Center and successfully made it into orbit, at …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

It's just Sony updating their server...

Don't panic.

Update your firmware and reboot.

(Perhaps I'm confusing this with another news item...)

2. Christoph

How high is it? Is it in one of the main debris zones?

1. cray74

How high is it? Is it in one of the main debris zones?

According to the font of all knowledge, Hitomi née Astro-H is in a 560 x 581km orbit at 31 degrees inclination. That's in LEO, which is pretty dirty and has satellites in numerous orbital planes that endanger a satellite with debris from all angles and even head-on velocities of over 14km/s.

Further, an orbit with a 570km semi-major axis is above the vague safe zone (< 400km) where the atmosphere has a debris-sweeping effect. Debris at 570km will be fast, from all directions, and longer-lived than at the ISS's altitude.

On the other hand, the Hubble has successfully operated at 540km for decades.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

But by far the most likely scenario is something felt off the scope.

1. IvyKing
          Boffin

The change in observed orbit implies a fairly significant impulse (momentum), the fact that the debris is in almost the same orbit implies high mass & relatively low velocity. High velocity would cease a large debris plume as what happened when an Iridium satellite collided with a cosmos satellite. My bet is a propellant tank let go.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"How high is it?"

it's soooooo high that the only thing higher was a hippy at woodstock!!!

3. Chris G

Bugger

あんちゃん

An-chan

See title.

1. MrT

Re: Bugger

Yeah, that. A friend of mine, Chris Done, has only just gone out to Japan to continue 5yrs of work so far preparing for the data that this satellite was going to bring. She was due to spend the next year in Tokyo on the project.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Bugger

Ha, I am also friends with Chris.

Just have wait and see I guess.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Sounds like it was hit or maybe strafed by debris. But then again I've watched Gravity last week, so...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm thinking that it is more like the beginning of "Wall-E", where Earth orbit is packed with wall-to-wall satellites.

The "Gravity" scenario is that debris from the Russian stage that exploded while sending ExoMars into trans-Mars insertion have now taken out Astro-H.

Well, I hope the telescope can be stabilized and return to use!!

5. CCCP

Fingers crossed...

Though it looks like a fubar. What with so soon after the Exomars launch anomaly, it's just going to give the nay-spacers more ammunition.

It's hard, OK?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

Re: Fingers crossed...

Are there really people who say that you can't put an observatory satellite into orbit? 20 years or so after Hubble went up, and all the other orbital observatory successes since then? I might be a naysayer if we were talking $10 billion or $20 billion to put a single satellite up there, but the technology and practices are already well-proven.

The larger issue is the amount of orbital debris up there. If we are going to start having ongoing difficulty with debris strikes, then that really will screw up our ability to productively use Earth orbit.

6. Beachrider

Until something Optical gets a clear view...

It looks like, electronically, the probe has lost its capability. It is far-enough up there that it won't be coming down in the ensuing months, so only the Japanese are in a rush to find out what it is going to do.

It WAS working, so this had to be some kind of external-hit or reorientation misfire. That there appears to be 'other pieces' near it argues more for a fuel-tank malfunction, but LOTS of other things could have happened. You may recall the movie portrayal of such a problem on Apollo 13. It can be very messy.

Good luck to the Japanese on figuring this out and correcting it!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Re: Until something Optical gets a clear view...

Separation bolts in backwards? That's what always gets me in KSP...

7. Mark 85
    Mushroom

Did someone put a lithium laptop battery on board?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is rotation an unrecoverable problem?

At least that's the sense I get from the guy quoted in the article. I get that it is supposed to be gyro stabilized, but if it started rotating (for whatever reason) at some point it will overwhelm the ability of gyros to compensate. I assume it has some thrusters that could correct for the rotation if they can determine how it is rotating? And while the main antenna that communicates with the Earth would be directional, don't satellites always include a low data rate omnidirectional antenna or two for cases like this?

Obviously if something exploded or it took a hit it may be irreparably damaged, but if it is intact and spinning, I would think they could get it working again once they determine exactly how it is spinning.

1. Michael Thibault
      Facepalm

Re: Why is rotation an unrecoverable problem?

Everyone loves a good problem even though, when sufficiently well-specified, the problem dictates its solution. Of course, the devil is in the details--direction and means of communication, assessing the sat for what's still working, calculating delays in communications and timing of any instructions, quantity of thrust to be applied, etc. Before you know it, you're doing rocket science.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why is rotation an unrecoverable problem?

I didn't say it was easy, only that it didn't sound "unrecoverable". Since the people who would be doing this ARE rocket scientists, it would seem to be right up their alley!

9. x 7

so it looks like the bloody North Koreans finally got that last supossedly "failed" launch to work and hit something

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only good that will come from this ..

.. is that it will make for an interesting episode of On Call.

Sorry to see it malfunction :(.

11. Dagg Silver badge
    Happy

Revenge of the Cetacea

The title says it all...

1. DropBear

Re: Revenge of the Cetacea

Then again, if it's still mostly in one piece, that's more consistent with a hit from a flower pot of petunias...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Swing by some time

Just a couple of lumps off 252P/LINEAR, P/2016 BA14 doing a flyby, should have ducked.

13. PaulAb

This is exactly why....

Fireball XL5 has been grounded for 50+ years Steve just couldn't take it any more, the risk of hitting all that flying sputnik junk just tipped him over the edge, Steves in Rehab after a binge session with Venus and Doc, Zooney was no help during flight and Robert kept bursting into flame.

I am not inferring that Japanese space engineers built Robert.

14. Jemma

Weird messages...

<I've decided I want to have a specs change..>

<From now on I want to be called.. Nomad.. >

<EOL>

<message ends>

15. Elmer Phud
    Coat

Not one comment . . .

. . . about it being God giving Japan a slap for killing whales last week?

things are getting slack round here

1. Geoff May

Re: Not one comment . . .

Someone did

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Space whales: 1

Nippon pseudo-scientists: 0

17. ChaosFreak
    Unhappy

This is Terrible News

Just think of the data this space-based X-ray telescope could have produced over its lifetime. What a shame...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like