What do you think of the upcoming Microsoft Hololens ?

This topic was created by sltech .

1. sltech
    Happy

What do you think of the upcoming Microsoft Hololens ?

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

Yes, I know right now it's still in development. I'm new here *waves* and I'm American, if anyone cares. Thanks for having me, Register!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vaporware

Interesting concept, but not enough information to form a real opinion.

It's most likely to be Vaporware.

Glasses have not set the world on fire, with the average person running a mile from any headset wearable. See passive 3D glasses as an example.

Couple that with M$'s success rate in hardware and you have a still-born project.

3. sunsj

I have seen research in this area in the past but what is interesting in HoloLens is that the quality is very high (in demos which I seen so far, it was cool but quality of videos was low. The device is small , while many of devices are very big with several wire connected to it.

4. Known Hero
    Angel

OMG I soooo Desperately want one of these. If I had spare cash floating about I would buy the dev set.

Although all that said I am very concerned about the FOV issue, it could end up breaking the entire concept :(

5. Sebastian A

I'm skeptical

But that's just my default state these days.

All I can imagine is that every flat surface of my environment would get plastered with inapplicable Bing ads.

AdBlock for Hololens would be the first thing on my shopping list.

1. Hargrove

Re: I'm skeptical

Kudos to the originator for an interesting discussion topic, and to Sebastian--us skeptics need to stick together. .

Two quotes come to mind: The first is from Paul's Epistle to the Corinthians. "Everything is permissible for me; but not all things are helpful."

The second was a Navy admiral's response to a sales pitch for newer technology: "S--t son, we don't know how to use the technology we've already got."

Forty years ago, my work gave me a chance to see some remarkable--and economically practical--3D display capabilities demonstrated. For one reason or another, they never caught on.

The devil is in the details. Human visual perception and cognition have been evolving to deal with the physical world for hundreds of thousands of years. We have not yet begun to scratch the surface on how the human intellect deals with the ever-increasing stimulation and information flow we have to deal with.

My observation at this point is not very well..

From an engineering standpoint, our understanding of the internal physiological and psychological mechanisms is still pretty primitive. VR designs, of necessity, reflect the designer's assumptions based on those understandings.

Add to this the fact that our understanding of the economics of the market is no better shape, and uncertainty abounds. But it is fascinating stuff.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Hmmm... not enough information to form a considered opinion yet. But having lived through the VR hype of the 1990ies I'm somewhat sceptical.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Oh yes. Never got any of all that "cybersex", though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon