back to article Violin Memory CEO and board member splash $180k on firm's shares

Violin Memory CEO Kevin DeNuccio has spent $37,500 to buy 75,000 shares of Violin at an average $0.50 share price, demonstrating his visible commitment to the company. He had previously bought 125,000 shares in two transactions since 2013. The first one, for 50,000 shares at $3.08/share, has so far lost around 80 per cent of …

1. ZSn

Is this firm that important?

In the last two weeks there have been four articles on this company (admittedly I didn't bother counting how many were on devops, life is too short). Could someone please explain what is so important about a company that I have never heard of apart from the pages of the register. Am I missing something important?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is this firm that important?

It's an over-saturated market. There are a lot of all-flash arrays out there with not a lot to distinguish between them, at least from the outside. They're expensive yet the vendors keep churning out the message that disk drives are dead and you should spend more on flash. They tell you that compression and dedupe will make up the difference (pretending you can't compress data on disk drives).

The reality is fewer people are buying this crap and only people who will actually benefit from flash are buying it.

There are going to be some significant failures in this market. The question is who is going to survive and who isn't?

2. Nate Amsden

I bet

Violin will pay them their money back in the form of some sort of golden parachute or something, so they have little to lose.

3. thegreatsatan

someone needed a tax writeoff

stock losses tend to be good ones

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

7 figure salary CEO spends spare change to make it look like he's worth the 7 figures.

7 figure salary CxO's spend spare change to make it look like they are worth the 7 figures.

Talk about sticking your fingers in the dam.

They do have interesting IP and will probably get bought for just the IP and maybe the engineering talent (if any stuck around) for probably around what their market cap is today - $40M.

Which is slap in the proverbial face to a company that was once offered $2 Beeelion dollars by HP to be bought out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon