back to article Your broadband speeds are up by 6Mbps, boasts UK watchdog Ofcom

The average home broadband speed in the UK increased to 28.9Mbps, up by 6Mbps from a year ago – according to the latest annual research from Ofcom. In November 2015, forty-two per cent of residential fixed broadband lines were superfast products – connections with a headline speed of "up to" 30Mbps or more, a nine percentage …

1. Lee D Silver badge

I have one of those broadband measurement devices. Look up "SamKnows".

It's pretty accurate, I have to say. But the main reason for having it? It's probably quite easy to test who's got one on your network and ensure their speeds are... "consistent".

According to that box's stats, though, when I was on VM 30Mbps, I got 30Mbps and now it's a 75Mbps package, I get 75Mbps. To the byte, almost. And real-world use sees little to disagree with that.

2. msknight

I wouldn't care if I was just able to maintain a stable connection.

The latest round of insanity between me, Eclipse and OpenReach is that I agreed to the £200+VAT call out charge (it's £120+VAT for a telephone fault, but £200+VAT for a broadband fault... go figure)

Eclipse's response was to say, "You know, we don't think there'd be any point in getting OpenReach out to an intermittent fault, so we're not going to bother." (my interpretation of their quote rather than their actual quote) ... despite me spending the best part of £200 on a new router, cabling, filter and an AM radio to do a REIN check.

I feel totally fucked off with the whole thing. And I, the paying customer, have effectively got no option other than to put up with this shit, or pay extra and jump to fibre which, given the pathetic power supply reputation around here, I don't want to do (the battery in the cabs only lasts a few hours, assuming nobody's nicked them, whereas the power in the PBX lasts a heck of a lot longer.)

Virgin? Don't make me laugh. They're nowhere where they're actually needed... just in the most profitable, densely packed areas. You want something to boast about, Beardy? Get your cables lain where it counts and THEN you can start sqwaking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

You want something to boast about, Beardy? Get your cables lain where it counts and THEN you can start sqwaking.

Well, for me VM's cables are laid where they count. All along the road and into my house, and all the neighbours are on Openreach FTTC.

Mmmmm! 150 Mb/s, it's lovely. Rarely goes down, quick to return on the few occasions it does disappear. You should try it. It even heats my house through the warm glow of my own gloating. Can I send you a few leftover bits in an envelope? Or maybe download you a few grumble pics, print 'em and post 'em......

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

Mmmmm! 150 Mb/s, it's lovely. Rarely goes down, quick to return on the few occasions it does disappear. You should try it. It even heats my house through the warm glow of my own gloating

Bumpkintards will rejoice in the fact that minutes after posting this I was hit with a three hour outage from VM. Followers of Richard Dawkins will see only chance at play here. Personally I see this as the vengeful god of dialup exacting divine retribution.

2. andNonBreakingEmptySpace

Bah Virgin Media were and probably are hopelessly oversubscribed in my area, to the point of it being a criminal offence to sell that which you knowingly cannot provide. Virgin weren't interested in their network's integrity. Expected customers to wait MONTHS for router capacity upgrades, which were the issue. This is after waiting HOURS and lots of hassle to find out what was on their network engineering database the whole time - they oversold capacity. So they waste significant money on support (sent engineers out when it was a capacity issue? Clever). Everyone else over the years has said it's a postcode lottery. That lack of integrity and oversight is the problem, not the technology. Toothless watchdog, of course, is the real problem. Politicians box-ticking as usual.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: The latest round of insanity

I take it that Eclipse actually refused to accept your payment?

From a very quick comparison between Eclipse and Zen for the same service from BT wholesale:

Eclipse - Business Fibre - £45pcm

Zen - Unlimited Fibre 2 - £25pcm

I would strongly recommend you stop wasting your time and money with Eclipse and take your business elsewhere.

Re: "pathetic power supply reputation"

I presume you are running your router etc. off a UPS. Depending on your router's power input spec. it may be possible to power it directly from the UPS and avoid the battery eating 12v->240v->12v conversion between UPS and device.

1. Commswonk

I presume you are running your router etc. off a UPS. Depending on your router's power input spec. it may be possible to power it directly from the UPS and avoid the battery eating 12v->240v->12v conversion between UPS and device.

No I think he is referrring to the battery in the street cabinet, and worrying about its potentially short up - time in the event of an AC supply failure, and comparing that with the much bigger battery in the main exchange. (Not PBX; that is a Private Branch Exchange)

1. Roland6 Silver badge

No I think he is referring to the battery in the street cabinet

Yes although he was referring to the battery in the street cabinet, in a typical install these will be taking their power from the local distribution network, the same one as he is using at home... So if the cabinet is running off it's battery then his router and computer are potentially being powered from a dead power circuit...

Which led me to think whether some of his DSL problems aren't so much to do with the line but with things closer to home glitching, which if you normally use a laptop you might miss...

1. msknight

Yes, it's the cabinet I'm worried about. The home equipment is all on UPS, for protection as much as downtime. If I wasn't on a fixed IP, which is used to access a host of services, (which would then have to be changed) then I'd be off Eclipse in a heartbeat. They wouldn't see me for dust.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

The power supply in the cabinet will last far longer than your home UPS unless you're doing something most unexpected. A home UPS just gives you enough time for a graceful shutdown, it won't keep you working for hours.

Eh? Since when is Zen's Fibre 2 (up to 76Mbps/19Mbps) just £25? I just checked as it seemed too good to be true and I was about to recommend everyone I know move to them - and it's actually £25.00*

per month when taken with £17.00 monthly line rental, which isn't the same contract at all. I believe in separation of service leading to better quality of service as one is free to leave. BT leading the monopoly market has caused us idiots (OK, not us, the people in the market who AREN'T Reg readers) to go for all this triple-play scam marketing. They don't get that only FORCE will, er, force ruthless capitalist entities to provide customer service. The companies that profit from this ignorance are utter scum because it's part of the horrible ignorance-culture we have in the UK. Which affects voting, as obvious recent events have revealed. So the last thing society should tolerate is people so dedicated to maintaining the ignorance of others that it becomes a massive part of the UK economy. But it arguably has. So this detail about line rental in the price is important.

3. RPF

Currently running 10Mbps <1 mile from the county's capital.....

1. JetSetJim

I have to wonder what the actual distribution of speed is. They've said the mean has shifted upwards, which is nice, but has anything improved for those at the bottom end? Or has it been mainly driven by increases in topline speed everywhere there's FTTC, and the occasional FTTP deployment (BT or not)?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

but has anything improved for those at the bottom end?

Suspect not, the FTTC deployment effectively created a new exchange to street cabinet digital infrastructure parallel to the existing (largely) copper POTS network.

So I see no real reason why the copper POTS/DSL infrastructure would get an upgrade from the FTTC deployment (aside: it certainly didn't in my area). However, there would be a small DSL QoS improvement in those areas with FTTC, because of (typically bandwidth hungry) users moving across to FTTC would change the actual contention ratio being experienced by the remaining DSL users.

I suspect also the figures are being skewed down by the potentially larger uptake of 40Mbps fibre compared to the typically more expensive 79+Mbps services.

1. JetSetJim
          Thumb Down

Just read the Ofcom press release:

"The 27% rise in the average UK download speed was due to growing take-up of higher-speed connections and increasing average speeds for these packages."

So, in summary, the shit connections have remained shit

1. NeilPost Silver badge

A bit disingenuous

That's a bit disingenuous, as friends of mine in Brinklow a borderline-sticks village near Coventry have gone from shit standard DSL broadband to BT Infinity and it flies.

Despite nearby Coventry being a Virgin Media super-centre with 200Mbit trials, VM and Usain Bolt would laugh until they puked their guts up at the thought of delivering their fibre 5 miles out of town.

2. Edward Ashford
        Unhappy

Country Bumpkins...

I get an astonishing 2Mbps. Well sometimes it's as high as 2.7 and when it's homework time on our lane sometimes it drops to 1.5, but hey, it's better than the 33kbaud I used to get from dial up.

I just wish website designers and advertisers could have a little flag that says "slow connection - text only adverts"

And now we have two phones and a tablet stealing my precious bandwidth it can get a little fraught - "Daddy's saving the country - switch to flight mode immediately or I'll ban you from the router!"

2. circusmole
      Unhappy

Hmmm...

@RPF Currently running 10Mbps <1 mile from the county's capital.....

Currently running <2Mb/s (on a good day) 2 miles from the centre of a large town (90,000 population) in South East England.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm... Ha Ha!

currently (and for years) running at an average 430 Mb/s in a major commercial centre in south central England and less than half a mile from a fibre cabinet (occasionally peaks at 1 Mb/s for a second or two at a stretch). Not the ISP's fault - it's the poor condition fo the 'last mile' copper, which 'someone' has for years failed to maintain properly. I get the impression that copper is being left to decay as a matter of policy.

4. jaywin

Urban areas

Sadly there's been no such increase for me, or plans to increase the speeds, living in the desolate rural location of Sheffield city centre.

This isn't because the exchange isn't enabled, it is, or because there isn't an upgrade plan happening in the city, it is. It's just because BT don't want to fit it inside the city centre, presumably because it will affect the number of businesses they can sell leased lines to.

And living in an apartment block, we can't get cable either (please stop sending me adverts Richard).

I keep hoping Ofcom will force their hand, but I'm not holding my breath.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Urban areas

if you want cable in your apartment block you could always wire it yourself (Virgin will happily give you the cable) and then ask Virgin to dig into the block (which they will if the cost per home is less than a couple of hundred quid IIRC).

that's what I did (I took advantage of the fact we were redecorating and rewiring the communal areas to get 25mm conduit from the risers to each flat) and I'm sending this over Virgin Media's network now...

2. Graham 25

Maybe the laws of physics and more importantly, an education in economics would help ?

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to spend tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds putting fibre into locations with no return.

Actually, a dictionary definition of 'uneconomic' might be helpful as well.

1. jaywin

@Graham - there are thousands of residential customers in Sheffield city centre, none of which can get anything above 10Mbps ADSL connections unless they're lucky enough to have cable access.

Homes further away from the same exchange do have FttC, or plans to upgrade to at the least. The economics of running fibre to a handful of people simply don't apply in this case. After all, they've already had to run the fibre past these homes to get to the ones outside of the ring road.

2. Commswonk

@ Graham 25

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to spend tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds putting fibre into locations with no return.

I've tried the same argument (perhaps less succinctly expressed) before and it doesn't seem to work.

@ Jaywin

The economics of running fibre to a handful of people simply don't apply in this case. After all, they've already had to run the fibre past these homes to get to the ones outside of the ring road.

An interesting point, but Graham 25's point may still actually apply, but for slightly different reasons. If the subscribers who currently use ADSL and have an FTTC feed passing them by are in fact satisfied with the (ADSL) speeds they get (OK: < 10 Mb/s) then they have no real incentive to migrate to FTTC (or other faster offering) so BT could find themselves going to the expense of providing an additional cabinet with its contents, the AC supply to it and a fibre to it only to find that an insufficient number of subscribers take up the chance; after all additional charges would apply and if they are happy with what they have why would they bother to upgrade?

Speed has become something of an obsession, and I would dearly love to see some figures showing what people actually need to meet their usage and what they think they need. Chateau Commswonk was originally on an ADSL service that never exceeded 1.6 Mb/s so we jumped (OK I jumped) at the chance to upgrade to what was then 38 Mb/s, although a test a few minutes ago at 1948Z gave something altogether more modest (< 10 Mb/s) although the upload speed had not dropped by a similar factor. (Busy period, I expect, or hope.) However, with just Mrs Commswonk and me sharing this PC and no rug-rats guzzling bandwidth this reduced speed is still more than adequate.

I really would be interested in knowing what speeds people actually need as opposed to what they think they need. Perhaps speed - freaks are really a minority, and perhaps BT knows it.

I must remember to check my speed again in the morning when it's quiet...

1. MrZoolook
          Meh

Interesting, and somewhat valid point, to highlight the difference between wants and needs of a connection speed. The only problem is that, while someone may only NEED a speed of a few kb to read a web sites text, because web sites consist of a few mb of picture, animation, advertising, flash, audio, 3rd party plugins... it needs some beefy speed just to get past all the cruft to get to the text in the first place.

2. JetSetJim

On the economics side, IIRC Gigaclear publish roughly how many households it needs to achieve "critical mass" to determine an economic return in deploying FTTP. It's not that many as my village of no more than a couple of hundred households has it. Admittedly, the cost of FTTP may well be higher in urban environments due to digging up paved ground and issues with blocking the road, rather than hiding most of the conduit in soft diggable verges, but even the runs through the roadway were achieved quite rapidly.

On the speed side, YMMV but Netflix in HD to at least one device is 5mbps minimum (https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306) so you'll probably realistically need double that to guarantee it. Ultra HD is billed at 25mbps, but I don't think the uptake of capable tellies is quite there yet. But it will be.

On the other hand, my last house peaked at 1mbps, and everything on the internet was pretty shit. Slow page loads, even email went slowly (sending attachments was a joke). It made it impossible to work from home even - establishing a VPN actually killed the entire connection. In my mind, with the services offered over the internet nowadays, this speed is not fit for purpose.

3. andNonBreakingEmptySpace

Well, nobody was making any money from certain UK areas until they put railways into them in the 19th century, and it made a massive difference. Yes there was an economic imperative to access, e.g. mines to extract materials, but that wasn't the whole picture at all, was it? Now if broadband based working from home becomes viable in the countryside (arf! arf! this being 2016 not 2006), then a larger proportion of people would move there, as well, the city is unpleasantly crowded and apparently you can't even get good broadband THERE. It would make a large difference to local economies, including taking commuting traffic off rural roads and increasing quality of life for hundreds of thousands or more, if done on the widest scale. Sometimes we have to LEAD the economy, not follow received quarterly-results-focused "economic reality". Reality is that some things are currently impossible but just need the right person at the right time to push things forward. Then there's the things that are easily achievable but just need a tiny bit of reorganisation. The UK government is the opposite of useful in this, watchdogs on all levels are toothless (by design) and everyone knows it. TalkTalk should be out of business immediately for such a breach of data protection as to plain refuse to use encryption on ALL customer details. Like encryption is that expensive! Yet they weren't even found in breach of the DPA last time I checked. What drugs are the responsible people on to think that it's 'reasonable' care of data to NOT encrypt it then let yourself get hacked, when it wasn't inevitable?! Just one example. Lies rule the UK, that's the underlying cultural problem. What on earth is government for if not to make the tough strategic guidance decisions that pure economic forces won't make on their own?

3. Reventador

1.7 miles from the same city centre, close to a national football stadium, but a terrace house rather than an apartment, and we've tried Plusnet (in their home city) and Sky so far with standard broadband. We've never been over 3.3Mbps, average 2.9Mbps and decided not to press it any further because each time BT check the lines we've ended up 100Kbps slower.

We did try Virgin but got completely ripped off on trying to convert one of their 'obsolete' packages to a new one (at one point paying more than £40 a month for the phone line and slowest internet package, no TV).

We can't even use our Netflix box anymore and my Giffgaff dongle provides higher speeds to my laptop on the numerous occasions the connection cuts out between 4.30pm and 6.20pm.

1. iansmithedi

To make you feel better, I only get 1.5 Mbps as I am rural. One YouTube video is all we can stream. However 3Mbps seems a bit slow. Do you have a dual-outlet master socket with your router plugged directly in to it (no microfilters)?

Er, try suing them for not providing a fit-for-purpose landline? No broadband should cut-out just because the kids get home from school or whatever peak time (and surely the adult-derived peak is at a different time to that, like 6pm to 8pm?)

Oh silly me, can't upset BT, because they have a monopoly on landlines, since Vermin Media don't count as acceptable quality either. Use Samknows and thinkbroadband and speedtest.net, pingtest.net get evidence, and if it's your house's cable that's likely at fault (i.e. next door or a couple of doors down can get proper speeds), then force BT to check your cable properly. That can take some doing, but an 'accidental' damage to the cable that you happen to know nothing about can either make things worse if they don't fix it properly, or reveal underlying issues, if they do fix it properly and test properly. Of course this monopoly is only held to the 28kbps standard, still, right? I have family in rural Wales who get faster than that, 5km from the exchange.

4. NeilPost Silver badge

Do Viirgin Media suppliy the rural wastelands of Sheffield ?

5. napalmDaz
    Trollface

BT aren't rubbish if you are lucky

On my new build estate, most people have < 2Mb ADSL which resyncs up and down for fun. I think think the slowest I saw as 32kbps upload at one point.

A lot of shouting at the CEOs office and I now have 300Mbps Infinity 4 (FTTP) with 30Mbps upload (its advertised as 20 but you actually get 30).

Actual speeds are 310.6 down and 33.1 up. I also live in the countryside so they ARE investing slowly via the local council schemes.

Bill Murphy is your man.

1. Commswonk
      Happy

Re: BT aren't rubbish if you are lucky

I think you mean "BT aren't rubbish if you make a bloody nuisance of yourself".

FTFY.

Note that I am not in any way criticising your approach, just clarifying what it actually was.

1. JetSetJim

Re: BT aren't rubbish if you are lucky

I think you mean "BT aren't rubbish if you make a bloody nuisance of yourself and you are bloody lucky".

FTFY.

BT & Openreach are a shambles, for the most part. There are some good people working in the field, but they are crippled by BT processes. I built a house next to a BT pole that the local engineer said had an empty port or two on and gave up trying to get BT to connect up to it after 3 months when Gigaclear strolled through and installed the day after I requested it. Never looked back, and have 100mbps up and down, and a land line with a decent set of features (auto-transcripted voicemail emailed to me, along with a WAV of the message, using the landline from my mobile, and all the other VoIP calling features IMS gets you) - all for less than what BT would have charged me.

6. Oldfogey
    Unhappy

Dial-Up?

Regardless of the sub-head, I know several people who arw still on dial up, for the simple reason that there is no broadband and no mobile service where they live - within 5 miles of a cathedral city.

No cable either, obviously

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Re: Dial-Up?

Unsure why you have used the 'catherdral city' anecdote. perhpas the Church of England are at fault too, though seriously an old town centre is likely to have very old ducting and a parish council not wanting it dug up for Virgin Fibre.... who are obviously gagging to install.

Is there any mains gas 5 miles out of town either ???

7. Satellite TV Shop UK

Openreach sign FTTC contract with KN Networks

The good news guys is that Openreach ( BT ) have signed a contract with KN Networks to roll our FTTC that is Fibre to the Cabinet, trial scheme is in London ( 26 weeks contract ) and with that all connected customers with copper lines will get 24m uncongested if you live within 2km of the cabinet.

Over in Ireland Eir have awarded a contract to KN Networks to run FTTH that is Fibre to the home, for all houses in Ireland by 2020, so copper lines are being removed and fibre is being run in, I have seen this happening and customers can now get 1,000meg Fibre broadband for less than €100 per month.

If you live in the UK contact your local councillors and your local MP and get them to put pressure on BT who are CASH RICH and who need to get up to speed with what is happening in Ireland.

I live in County Mayo, Ireland and by 2018 I will have 1,000meg Fibre to my very Rural House so I will have faster speeds than anyone in the UK. More details here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Re: Openreach sign FTTC contract with KN Networks

Sky are cash rich too, esp. with the coming TV price hike. The owners of Virgin Media - Liberty Global, as also not short of a buck or two either.

Both are invited, as companies with UK telecoms licences, to dig up and put in their own infrastructure or use BT's poles and ducts which they have had access to since I think 2011.

8. Thomas Kenyon

Not just the countryside

At our office in Southampton city centre, there's no sign of FTTC on the horizon and the fastest sync speed we can get is 3.5Mbit.

Much slower than the nearest village.

1. MrZoolook
      Windows

Re: Not just the countryside

For such an industrial city, and with an ever increasing student driven economy, Southampton is probably the worst place I have experienced for internet. Even now, I get less speed than I did in Rotherham over 10 years ago, and I'm paying 3 times as much adjusted for inflation.

Honestly, when (if) Virgin pull their finger out and actually offer my address fiber, I reckon I could probably get by with the lowest package they offer and still get a better service.

2. IanRS

Re: Not just the countryside

I am just on the edge of Southampton, and only a short hop from an exchange, on an exchange-only line. This means I get ADSL at just about its maximum rate (19Mb/s) but there is no way to get fibre as I am not connected to any cabinet. The local cabinets have been FTTC upgraded, but that is no good at all to the people on EO lines. The EO lines stop about 8 houses down the road from me. Bit of an embuggerance.

9. MrZoolook
    Thumb Down

So what actually has increased in average speed?

The headline seems to indicate an increase in average speed, but the article implies that the headline (advertised i presume?) "up to" speed has increased. I mean, sure, an increase in advertised "up to" speeds should naturally mean the actual speed has increased. But as we all know, an advertised speed of "up to" 80mb means jack shit when your actual speed hovers at ~0.4 - 0.8.

For those who's speed is practically zilch, an average increase of any advertised up to speed means nothing. And besides, what use is averaging "up to" speeds anyway, when there's STILL no requirement for companies to actually supply it. Unless it's suddenly become law to supply an advertised speed since I last looked, a company can advertise speeds of up to 150tb (terabytes), and not need to supply more than the speeds gotten via dial up. Sure, it'd be stupid because nobody would believe it or pay for the package if not getting it, but it certainly increases average headline speeds, just like OFCOM are harping on about here.

All in all, a pointless study exercise taken out by OFCOM to deflect from the fact they are toothless or incompetent.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: So what actually has increased in average speed?

The article suggests that measured speeds were used: "[Virgin's] “up to” 200Mbps service recorded the highest average actual download speed at 174Mbps." (emphasis mine).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Board band speed is up?

Wel I'm on the top fibre connection of 76Mb /s. Well I've just got my figs for upload [U/L] and download [U/L] from Ookla. The results U/L 1.3Mb/s and D/L 16.82 Mb/s. Who are these people trying to kid!! The reason - BT OpenReach's selection of fibre cabinet which is a short distance as the crow flies but follow the copper wiring route and it's a damn long way. There are fibre cabinets nearer but the selection of cabinet apparently is in the hands of BT OpenReach. So in my case. Tough!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's nice, Mr Ofcom. Personally my speeds are 20% slower than they were 12 years ago - in the middle of one of the largest cities in the country, still stuck on adsl2+ but with massively more crosstalk now.

Not too impressive to go backwards over 12 years, given how much the rest of tech has improved.

12. Kerry Hoskin

can't complain

About BT. Live in a small village in Cornwall and have had infinity for 4 years giving me 76mb. Actually Cornwall has done pretty well (mainly EU money) and most of the duchy can get infinity.

Don't know why Virgin boast so much. Piece of piss to give 200mb in an urban conurbation that you provide cable TV too. How about the rest of the country Virgin when are rural areas going to get your service!? Yeah exactly!

1. andNonBreakingEmptySpace

Re: can't complain

You don't want VM's postcode lottery service, based on massive caching to get those speeds, and not real network connectivity. Try connecting to a known-good-global-connectivity-and-bandwidth server in somewhere less mainstream, like Greece or something, and see what I mean. Or even watch youtube and bbc websites break because the caching server is glitching. Sky Broadband does the same.

13. Bob H

Further proof that measuring success by "average" numbers isn't relevant, it is all about the distribution.

14. jms222

My VM upstream is still only 2Mbps when it's good and nearer 1 otherwise.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like