back to article Microsoft files patent for 'PhonePad', hints at future Windows plans

A recently published Microsoft patent application hints at future efforts to make Windows leap across the species boundary. Windows already does so, in a way, with the Continuum feature. Hook up a keyboard and a display to the phone, and it turns a phone into a PC, with the same binaries on the phone turning into a (sort of) …

1. JetSetJim
    1. JetSetJim

Re: Linky

Out of time to add to post, so here go's a precis of the patent (IANAL, but have read a few patents in my time):

It basically seems to be an "invention" that device A auto-detects presence of device B (doesn't Bluetooth do that?). In one instance, device A has limited i/o capabilities (e.g. a small form factor phone) and so control of device A can be made via the i/o interface of device B - e.g. a larger form factor tablet. Of particular note is that the i/o device (B) may have crap compute power, whereas the original device (A)has the processing grunt. So you combine the two and have a Better Experience (TM).

Another pertinent example given is "Consider a game scenario where four players in a room are playing a multi-player game. The phone of one user may run the game and the gamers may interact with the game through their own separate tablets. In one embodiment, the phone may cause different gamers to have different interfaces and different presentations.".

Not sure it seems hugely inventive

1. Gray

Sounds like a clever cross-linked simultaneously synchronized area-wide, all devices, malware distribution and injection system. Perfected and patented by Microsoft. Any mention of the Tuesday monthlies in there?

1. DropBear
          Facepalm

So they are basically patenting VNC and multiplayer games...? Classy as hell...

2. Eddy Ito

So it's a Wii U where any "phonepad" can be either the gamepad or console? Am I missing something?

3. James 51
        Boffin

You've just described the Bridge between a Blackberry phone and a Playbook (their excellent if misunderstood tablet).

4. Vic

Not sure it seems hugely inventive

It seems to be re-inventing quite a lot of what we were doing 20 years ago in HAVi

Vic.

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Thanks - I've added it to the article.

C.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"sufficient obfuscation to avoid getting your idea pinched"

Or sufficient obfuscation to hide the fact that it's not a particularly original idea.

The requirement to prove originality in a software patent ought to be to show that the problem has been known for some time without a successful solution. Is this different to what Ubuntu have also been demonstrating for some time?

I have a nasty feeling that MS might be claiming royalties from the work others have put into their own implementations of the same requirement.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I have a nasty feeling that MS might be claiming royalties from the work others have put into their own implementations of the same requirement.

Well, if that is the case you can't really blame MS but the US patent system which privileges filing even the most spurious patent. Maybe the current dispute over CRISP / CAS9 will help sort out this mess.

However, I can't help thinking that this may be difficult to enforce and invite a raft of claims of prior art. Still, even then the patent could be a useful bargaining chip.

Instances of possible prior that fall out of my addled head: Samsung had a hub function specifically for games; Amazon's WhisperSync across the Kindle/Audible boundary.

1. Ged T
        Alert

Prior art like iCloud and its inter-device / application / data / Photos / Music OS independent syncing?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PadPhone?

I'm wondering how different the PhonePad will be from the ASUS PadPhone.

1. beavershoes

Re: PadPhone?

Exactly ASUS PadFone already does this.

4. Mage Silver badge

Oh Dear

In a properly run Patent Office, this would be chucked out. This and Continuum are old ideas and implemented ages ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh Dear

What do you mean by "chucked out"?

If you mean, it would/should be searched, examined, and then granted or refused, then yes, you're absolutely right. If you mean refused before any of this has been done, then you are 100% wrong. Just because you "believe" it to be not an invention does not mean that it isn't, and it is not the job of any Patent Office to just assume that this is the case, no matter how "tempting" this might seem.

An Application can only be refused when the Applicant has had the opportunity to amend his claims, based on the description, in response to a communication from the Examiner handling the file. And without reading and studying the whole derscription, no-one responding to this article can be 100% sure that there is no detail in the description which would/could serve as the basis for a grantable claim.

A Patent Examiner

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Really?

So we're supposed to believe that any two or more products running Microsoft software will just seamlessly connect and work in perfect harmony, pooling their resources? They can't even get that right on a single machine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Really?

Microsoft are already doing it. Here's a demo showing Xbox handing over to cloud when more processing power is required.

https://youtu.be/EWANLy9TjRc?t=319

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Microsoft are already doing it. Here's a demo showing Xbox handing over to cloud when more processing power is required.

Nice in the lab, but not so good in the real world. My son has several Xbox games that are notionally 'local' that become unplayable when the Internet connection starts to get congested...

2. hoverboy

I'm a massive MS fanboi, but that is painfully true and very funny. Hat-tip sir!

6. big_D Silver badge

I've been saying

for years, we just need a small hockey-puck sized device, that provides CPU and storage and it seamlessly (wirelessly) connects to whatever I/O is currently convinient - audio (a la Echo), a watch or smartphone sized display and wireless headset, tablet sized display, with loudspeakers or a desktop monitor, keyboard and mouse.

The "puck" would provide consistency and provide you with the processing power, but how you access your data depends on what you are doing and what you need. That means all apps and data remain consistent and don't necessarily rely on a network connection - there are still enough times where a net connection is non-existent or too slow to be useful (many of our customers are based out in the countryside and have ISDN speeds, if they are lucky, and you might get a GPRS signal on your mobile, if you are lucky.

Day-to-day I use OneDrive for syncing my data onto devices - and I tend to permently sync the stuff I need regularly on those devices, so that even off-line, it is available and I can work on it. But the Surface Pro 3 shows that having a tablet, notebook and desktop (desktop dock and external monitors, keyboard and mouse in the office) is a great solution, it adapts to my needs on the move and has all of my data to hand, but in the office, it turns into a "proper" and comfortable experience - all with the same apps and data everywhere.

If that could be moved right down to the "puck", with wireless displays, then you only ever need to take it out of your pocket / bag for charging.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This looks like any number of applications detailing how mobile phones may interact with in-vehicle entertainment and navigation systems.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like