back to article UK.gov kicks long awaited digi strategy into long grass, blames EU referendum

The government's digital strategy will not be released until after the EU membership referendum, culture secretary Ed Vaizey has admitted. Speaking in front of a Parliamentaryselect committee yesterday, Vaizey said he wants to the UK to become a "gigabit Britain" over the next ten years. "The strategy has been drafted and is …

1. Commswonk

Bunkum as a policy

Vaizey said he wants to the UK to become a "gigabit Britain" over the next ten years

Which means what, exactly?

No point in asking him, obviously.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bunkum as a policy

"gigabit Britain"

I think that comes out at about 16 bits each.

So I guess this government policy is to have a short word with each of us ?

1. lawndart

I wonder how many exobits CGHQ is currently holding on us subjects of her majesty already?

gigabit seems a little small.

2. hplasm
      Big Brother

Vaizey said he wants to the UK to become a "gigabit Britain" over the next ten years.

Which means each citizen will have a gigabit of data about them on file. At least.

2. PaulAb

Government insider response to comment

'Another source said it would help if we had a clear statement about what the government is going to do, as there has been a lot of uncertainty'

Response:

We at the department of culture and all things useless, will analyse closely the fast moving trends and requirements of Government and business. Internet speed and capability is far too important a topic to rush at like a bull in a china shop, so, we will take the precautionary position and let everything stagnate for several years but, we will have many, many meetings about it.

Under Secretary of Moats and Expenses

1. Snowy Silver badge

Re: Government insider response to comment

You forgot the many lunches and trip overseas to research how it is not done everywhere else?

3. Warm Braw

It could be used to rebuild GOV.UK

Again?

I thought this iteration was supposed to demonstrate how government IT services should be done?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It could be used to rebuild GOV.UK

It's a good job they used a reputable supplier with a clear maintenance and upgrade path isn't it.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Again?

I thought this iteration was supposed to demonstrate how government IT services should be done?"

It's agile. They'll keep doing it until they get it right, whenever that might be.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Best practice" is now (1) throw up any excuse for a prototype and give yourself a kiss, retweet your genius and selfies at stand-ups: then (2) "iterate wildly" (PaulS, CEO, DTO Australia) without concern for budget, time or stability. In an era of limitless funding there is no reason to ever (a) finish, (b) be in any way embarrassed, (c) lose your job. When too much iteration is barely enough ...

Should I understand that the standard of code in GOV.UK is crap? JordanH and Co produced a liability and not an asset? Now onward to GOV.AU. How much fun can a Koala bear?

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"purdah"?

I looked it up, but... I'm aware that 'gigabit Britain' isn't meant to mean anything at all in the first place, but purdah still has my stymied.

1. TitterYeNot

I looked it up, but... I'm aware that 'gigabit Britain' isn't meant to mean anything at all in the first place, but purdah still has my stymied.

'Purdah' is the political practice of delaying government announcements till after an election, or in this case the EU referendum, to avoid accusations of unfairly influencing the vote.

'Gigabit Britain' to a politician means a gigantic bit of erm, oh, I don't know, my permanent secretary tried to explain it to me, but I don't really understand this technical stuff and I don't think he does either, but it'll be really good for Britain, really...

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Didn't stop Gideon announcing they were going to privatise all schools and get rid of parent governors, so from that it seems that there is no digital strategy.

2. BearishTendencies

Purdah is civil servantese for.....

Its Election time so we can't make a decision that an incoming Government might not want to do.

http://www.civilservant.org.uk/jargon.pdf

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The GDS was awarded £450m last year for this Parliament, but no details have yet been released as to how that money will be spent."

I doubt GDS will regard lack of details as an obstacle to spending money.

1. Rob

Shouldn't be too hard for GDS to spend the money on iMac's, Lattes and other luxuries that help them do the incredibly bad job they have done so far.

6. Someone_Somewhere
    Devil

Re: purdah

'Purdah' is the political practice of delaying government announcements till after an election, when it's too late to vote for someone else instead.

There, ftfy

7. Jess

Doesn't this imply they want to do stuff that would not be legal within the EU, and are waiting to see if they can?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I doubt it. A more probable explanation is that both politicians and civil servants will seize any excuse to put off anything that might be either embarrassing, or involve a modicum of hard work. Look at what happnened when they asked Sir John Chilcot to write a report on the rationale for the Iraq War. Ten million quid later, and seven years later, and we've still seen nothing.

The moral of both the article and Chilcot is "never send a civil servant to do a man's job; Or a woman's, or even an indolent, spotty teenager's".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

What are you talking about, Chilcot is delivering exactly what they want, its an unalloyed sucess!

8. BurnT'offering

rebuild GOV.UK, as the current code quality is not up to scratch

Really? I thought it was the bestest possible code in the universe. And, hey, you need really advanced 'code' to serve a bunch of web pages and run a search engine. And it's open source, with a vibrant developer community (all working inside GDS, for pay, but I'm sure the tipping point will, be reached soon)

Verify isn't actually all that bad as an ID service - that is if you exclude the tiny chunk actually provided by GDS. And if you fall into the customer base actually able to use it (i.e. people who already have a digital footprint) and you're not one of those weird edge cases (e.g. a child).

Anyway, £450m doesn't go far these days. It barely buys you a 3% of a broken-by-design Universal Credit system - or a paper-based Rural Payments System.

GDS - where SLA means Sips Latte All-day

9. Craig Cockburn

A few thoughts

10 tips for future-proofing gov.uk against mistakes it made before

http://blog.siliconglen.com/2016/03/government-digital-service-reboot.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon