back to article Google gives away its internal $200 patch analysis tool for free

Google has released its popular BinDiff patch analysis plug-in for free, dropping its previous US$200 price tag. The tool is loved among security engineers who find it useful when analysing vendor patches and comparing binaries. Freeing the tool will help alleviate the cost of patch and malware analysis for independent …

1. santoy

so is it $1200 or $200 ?

1. Halfmad

I know it's early but at least try to read the next line..

"The move to give it away is the "next logical step" Blichmann says."

Yes el'reg has taken a few sentences to explain "it's free now" to inflate the length of the story somewhat but we all do that now and again, that's no excuse to stop reading, sip your morning coffee and pick your nose rather than continuing for just a handful of words when el'reg finally get around to stating what is a perfectly acceptable and short statement from a guy. It just seems rather pointless to repeat the same thing "It's free" when they've said that in the title and in the first few lines of the story, at least that's my opinion. Not that it matters much.

TL;DR Yes it's free.

2. Christopher O'Neill

So, was it $1200 or $200?

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Yes.

Read the article again.

1. 1Rafayal

Re: Yes.

It's free. But can only be with another piece of software that is $589 and up in price

2. DuncanL

It's a poorly structured article - the headline goes for the big splashy number, but the article then mentions the current $200 price before later mentioning that the price before Google bought the product was $1200.

So confusing, but technically correct.

3. Velv
    Boffin

Call me cynical, but one of the advantages of paid for tools is that there is a profit market for innovation and diversity. If all researchers use the same free tools they run the risk of making the same mistakes in their research.

OpenSSL was/is a great security library for developers. Open source is great because anyone can read the source code and find any bugs. It all fell down when it turned out nobody had read the source code and it had quite a serious bug.

4. frank ly

I'm happy

... that I didn't buy one before the price dropped. That's always annoying.

1. 1Rafayal

Re: I'm happy

It's a plugin for IDA pro, which you need to buy....

1. Snowy Silver badge

@1Rafayal The next logical step would also make IDA pro free too?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Snowy

Logical to you, maybe, because you want it for free :) [Always worth a try!!]

Real odds are less likely than finding Unicorns on Mars as proof of supporting life.

It is in a market that it totally controls and can set any price it wants.

The usual consequence is to raise the price higher as the total cost has now gone down in real terms if you include the previous price of Bindiff.

Welcome to Economics 101 AKA 'Fill yer Boots' while you can. :)

2. 1Rafayal

I don't really see how that is logical..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like