back to article Silicon photonics boosted with UK fabrication research

Silicon photonics is one of the industry's hottest research fields, because it holds out the promise of accelerating on-chip communications without the extra heat that faster copper-based comms generate. One of the big challenges is fabrication, and that's the subject of research announced by University College London, Cardiff …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Next on the research list is to integrate the lasers with waveguides and drive electronics

I always thought that the shark is the traditional first integration subject.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Next on the research list is to integrate the lasers with waveguides and drive electronics

Thats what the waveguides are for, to steer the sharks!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

105mW

Pretty powerful laser there. May not do too much damage, but you'd see the sharks from miles away.

3. Dave Pickles

1300 nanometre?

Presumably the laser has to be at least as big as the wavelength of light it's generating, and the receiver must be a similar size? With semiconductor geometries now down to 10nm you're going to have to forego an awful lot of transistors just to send an optical signal across the chip. A big fat copper conductor would be more economical in area terms.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: 1300 nanometre?

14nm or 10nm silicon claims are a bit misleading. They used to refer to size of a transistor, now the 14nm refers to smallest feature.

Isn't optical a good way to interconnect chips on a common substrate (PCB, Alumina / Sapphire, Quartz etc).

4. Mage Silver badge

10 Years only?

That's acceptable for a domestic product, but seems poor for industrial or aerospace.

1. Andy E
      Coat

Re: 10 Years only?

I was thinking the same thing. Do we now have to start tracking the deployment life of the CPU's so we can plan for the expected failure after 10 years?

The Reg ran a series of articles on very old equipment that was still in active use because it continued to do the job. In most cases it was impractical to replace the kit due to lack of working knowledge or modern equipment being unsuitable.

In the early days the performance of CPU's regularly doubled as the clock cycles got quicker, the on board caches got bigger and they became more efficient. This seems to have calmed down with new CPU's becoming less power hungry but offering more core's, better efficiency and better support for VM. This will probably mean that the usefulness of older CPU's will be extended as it will be hard to justify the upgrades on a cost/benefit approach. 10 years expected lifespan might become 20 years.....

I'll get my coat. It's the one with the ZX Spectrum in the pocket.

Andy

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: 10 Years only?

So you wouldn't put it on a space probe. Plenty of other applications where 10 years is just fine. And 10 years ist just for starters anyway.

The bigger question is, will this actually lead to some widget or other that will be produced in the UK?

(Pro tip: bulid something looking really cool for the minister to stand in front of. Doesn't really have to be related that close to the actual product. Or claim that it could be weaponized, maybe. Remember: "Funding makes this thing go up. No bucks, no Buck Rogers.")

5. Andy The Hat Silver badge

105mW

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is for 'on chip communications' isn't it?

If so, a 105mW laser is damn powerful. I would have thought nW would be more appropriate when considering travel distances of millimetres and at most a few optical switches to negotiate ...

1. annodomini2

Re: 105mW

I think this is for interbox comms, so metres rather than mm.

I don't think this is intended for optical computing.

6. Jim84

Laser Phosphor TVs in the future?

Could you use these nanodots on silicon lasers to realise a laser phosphor TV?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon