back to article Michigan shooter says 'mind controlling' Uber app told him to kill

The man accused of killing six people during a shooting rampage in Michigan last month says an "artificial intelligence" controlled by the Uber mobile app was to blame. 45-year-old loon Jason Dalton stands accused of committing a series of murders in the city of Kalamazoo on the night of February 20th, accepting ride fares …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

It's called "being psychotic"

You start to assign the cause of internal impulses to random external events because your self-model doesn't match anymore what you do, right?

It happens often.

Paging Philip K. Dick etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's called "being psychotic"

Michael O'Hare (Babylon 5)

1. Triggerfish

Re: It's called "being psychotic"

"Michael O'Hare (Babylon 5)"

I didn't know about that, thats a bit sad.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kalamazoo

Sounds like a great idea for a Internet startup. An app for deranged shooty types in the US.

1. g e

Re: Kalamazoo

Presumably with a case-by-case unlocking tool for the FBI..

Oh hang on, he was just an ordinary armed lunatic American, not a 'terrorist'

2. PassiveSmoking

Re: Kalamazoo

Shootr

3. Chris G

Dammit! I want to kill something!

There's an App for that.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Dammit! I want to kill something!

"A simple point-and-click interface."

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Dammit! I want to kill something!

So have we seen the movie "Kingsman" then?

It did make me think what Zuck was up to in India with his SIM cards. A signal sent out through phones to make them do terrible stuff.

4. Steve Aubrey
    Trollface

Preemptive trollage

I'm thinking it's all related to the iPhone. Never hear of a mass murderer using Android, do you?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Preemptive trollage

Hey, you're right! The current FBI vs Apple case involved a murderer and an IPhone too. P'raps its a malfunctioning reality distortion field causing the problems. I wonder what kind of phones the victims used?

5. cd

I wonder if the Reg would pioneer the concept not showing mass-murders in the media. One of the perks of killing a bunch of people now is instant fame. If that perk were removed, would lives be saved?

Be another thing if they were at large. But once they're incarcerated their photos should stop being posted.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

A laudable idea, but damnatio memoriae didn't work on Herostratos 356BC - I doubt it will work in the age of mass and social media.

Well, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, and all that I guess.

1. SolidSquid

A lot of psychologists have flagged this up as being partly responsible for the rapid upswing in numbers. It's not so much removing any mention of them, but rather reporting on what happens without mentioning the individual who committed the crime, instead focusing on what happened and the victims, so as to prevent them becoming a celebrity. There would still be court records etc where people could go looking, but they wouldn't immediately become a household name who's motivations were discussed, well, at this point globally really

Social media people could still find the identities, but it wouldn't be the same level of celebrity they would get from constant coverage

6. Erik4872

That's pretty sad

The cynic in me wonders if the guy's lawyer is trying to gain a little anti-Uber publicity to distract people from the core issue. That said, mental illness is really sad. It must really suck to lose control of your brain.

One thing I'm hoping will start swinging the other direction is the removal of state support for the mentally ill in the US. It seems to me like the second it was no longer imperative that dangerous mentally ill people be locked up, and could be controlled by drugs, the reaction was to close down all the mental hospitals. I'm just not sure why a smaller mental health system with some inpatient components couldn't be put in place to be an alternative to cycling in and out of prison or homelessness. True, there was patient abuse back in the bad old days when anyone could be permanently committed for any abnormal behavior, but why not treat it like a disease?

1. Mark 85

Re: That's pretty sad

You've hit it with the stigma of mental illness. It's a disease. But all this goes back to some protests and lawsuits about unwilling incarceration of the mentally ill. There was a reason for many of the practices of the asylums and they were used as a dumping ground. The system was abused as were patients. But they tossed out the baby with the bath water on this . There are those that should be kept in a secure place for their protection and society's.

The system is now so small that it's basically useless. In this case, even a large, well-run system wouldn't have worked as it appears from the reports that he just snapped and went right off the deep end.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"he just snapped"

No previous at all?

1. Mark 85

Nothing in previous news stories. There might be a history but they've not reported and/or any mental health professionals aren't talking. So <shrugs shoulders> who knows?

2. Sanctimonious Prick
      Trollface

They did the same thing in Australia; shut down all the mental health hospitals, and let the patients out on the streets... almost - as long as they had somewhere to live, like a boarding house, they could go. Then they got priority public housing, so sometimes there are housing developments where only a few are mentally sane.

I live in the heart of Sydney where I see seriously mentally ill people every day just in my getting about the city. A bloke walking through a shopping centre, punching his palm, and looking angrily at people. A bloke knocked on my door about 6 weeks ago. Upon answering, he pulled fists, and demanded I stop talking about him. One bloke, walking along Crown Street, Surry Hills, swearing his head off at random people. I witnessed two blokes and a girl beat the living crap out of a bloke, right in front of me - there was nothing I could do except call the emergency services.

I tell ya, it's bloody scary out there!

1. david 12 Silver badge

In South Australia, they really did just close all the asylums and put all the people out on the street, leading directly to one murder. There was a bit of a political scandal. In all other Aus states, they were a little more careful about it, and all now have programs for locking up people for a day or two when there is an obvious murder risk.

As in the USA, a very high proportion of prison inmates are crazy, damaged or insane, if not outright psychotic. But the advantage of closing all the asylums was that they were state funded. Crazy people on the street are on unemployment or sickness benefits, and attract no state-level costs.

There were and are many good arguments for closing asylums and institutions of all sorts, but the driving force behind it was money. All the arguments in the world wouldn't have mattered if it wasn't for the money, and all the arguments in the world don't matter because of the money.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical narrative in the US

White guy on shooting rampage: he's got mental health issues

Black guy on shooting rampage: he's a criminal involved in gangs and drugs

Brown guy on shooting rampage: he's a terrorist

Not saying this guy isn't crazy, but similar statements by a black man would never be reported, instead we'd hear about an arrest for pot when he was 19 and the implication would be that he's involved in drugs or gangs. Or if he was Muslim, we'd read about a Facebook or Twitter post where he criticized the US government.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Typical narrative in the US

White guy on shooting rampage: he's got mental health issues

Black guy on shooting rampage: he's a criminal involved in gangs and drugs

Brown guy on shooting rampage: he's a terrorist

Not saying this guy isn't crazy, but similar statements by a black man would never be reported, instead we'd hear about an arrest for pot when he was 19 and the implication would be that he's involved in drugs or gangs. Or if he was Muslim, we'd read about a Facebook or Twitter post where he criticized the US government.

You could always ditch guns as a way of life as we right pondians have...

Following Islam or any other religion is a fundamental human right and as a confirmed Christian (but ill advised) I will fight tooth and nail to that effect.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not always true.

e.g. The gunman Myron May was a TI being subject to covert harassment, probably by the shadow world government. Mind Kontrol is just one of many black technologies they have. Some people theorise that mass killing sprees are sometimes performed by MK subjects to eliminate another target by deniable means. It's worth investigating the victims backgrounds for reasons why a higher up might want them eliminated.

1. Sanctimonious Prick
        Happy

@AC - "Not always true."

Fantastic! Love it!

p.s. can I please be the field technician during the making of the documentary?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Coat

Can someone please send some nice men in white coats to "check" on that AC? He may be our next shooter!

2. Vic

can I please be the field technician during the making of the documentary?

Derren Brown did a programme called "The Assassin"[1], in which he get a member of the public to assassinate[2] Stephen Fry on command. After the shooting, the assassin sat back down with no recollection of what he had done...

Vic.

[1] There are YouTube links for it, but Channel 4 seems to have been around and had them all deleted.

[2] Of course it wasn't a genuine assassination. But the gun was real, as was the action to use it. If there had been a real bullet in the gun, Stephen Fry would have been dead.

2. Jedit Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

"Some people theorise that mass killing sprees are sometimes performed by MK subjects"

So that's what the MK in MK-ULTRA stands for - "Mass Killing". The project is a system to track all the lunatic paranoid conspiracy theorists who are apt to go off the rails and shoot a bunch of folks. That certainly makes more sense than the American government being unable to spell "mind control" properly. Thanks!

(Paris, because people are always watching her through night vision goggles.)

1. Triggerfish

Re: "Some people theorise that mass killing sprees are sometimes performed by MK subjects"

I dunno, you find out about LSD. Have a really crazy staff party where some prostitutes get high and clients join in and get doped along with the spooks who are having a hilarious time playing lets mickey finn each other, a apparently heavily armed wetwork guy goes for a wander whilst high and paranoid causing a covert chase through washington*.

You decide to avoid the subsequent runbber hose beating from HR by calling it a covert experiment & label it MK ultra ,and then you wonder why the American people don't trust you anymore.

*Ref:Storming Heaven:LSD and the American Dream (Jay Stevens) ( for the agent going off on his own through washington, possibly let down by my poor memory).

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: "Some people theorise that mass killing sprees are sometimes performed by MK subjects"

So that's what the MK in MK-ULTRA stands for - "Mass Killing".

I always thought the MK stood for Milton Keynes. Now that really would be horrific!

3. Mahhn

MKULTRA was a side project in the 1960s to test the effects and uses of LSD. They drugged lots of people without their knowing it. From people on the street, to performers while on stage. And gave it out to select groups in Nam to supposedly help them stay awake and aware at night. It was a disaster and ended.

The only effective use for LSD was to cure alcoholism, but that program too was ended.

3. fajensen

Not saying this guy isn't crazy, but similar statements by a black man would never be reported,

... Mainly because Black Man is harder to interview, him carrying 3-5 Glock magazines worth of bullets inside his body, depending on how many cops showed up for the arrest (and subsequent paid vacation while the inquest clears them of any wrongdoing).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes I guess that's true. When they pulled this guy over they drew their guns but didn't shoot. If he was non-white they'd shoot him and claim he was going for his gun.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dalton

Dalton. Dalton. Dalton. Dalton. Dalton. Dalton. Dalton. Dalton. Dalton. Dalton.

Does that Dalton seem an excessive number of Daltons? Its exactly Dalton the same Dalton number as mentioned in this brief Dalton article.

Perhaps being a mad Dalton shooty type does Dalton lead to Dalton notoriety.

1. Tikimon

Re: Dalton

The awesome "News of the Weird" website is convinced that it's the middle name Wayne that's the key.

http://www.newsoftheweird.com/wayne.html

This Dalton guy reminds me of a local food court shooter from many years ago. He claimed a machine had been implanted in his stomach (I forget by who or what) that was telling him to kill.

1. Vic

Re: Dalton

He claimed a machine had been implanted in his stomach (I forget by who or what) that was telling him to kill.

That's Videodrome, isn't it?

Vic.

10. Spleen

The "Don't Miss" headline is rather poor taste on multiple levels.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Kalamazoo? Really?

"If that App could talk, what tales he'd tell..."

(With apologies to Hoyt Axton)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like