back to article Brits shun nightclubs and CD-ROMs for lemons, coffee and woman’s leggings

Modern Britons would rather sit at home in a pair of lady’s leggings quaffing Baileys, downloading computer games and sucking lemons than grab a ham roll down the pub before going to a nightclub. At least that’s the image suggested by the latest rejig of the shopping basket of goods and services that the Office for National …

1. Ketlan
    Happy

Er...

'Modern Britons would rather sit at home in a pair of lady’s leggings quaffing Baileys, downloading computer games and sucking lemons...'

That's EXACTLY what I do every night.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Er...

So what do the women do?

1. Ketlan
        Happy

Exactly the same thing but wearing 'cardigowns' and those stupid fluffy animal slippers.

1. Laura Kerr
          Coat

Are you spying on me??

I've deffo contributed to the decline in acoustic guitar sales too, as I've just bought a 'leccy bass. Perfect for drowning out the domestics next door.

Me getting my comfort cardy ---------------------------->

2. Graham Marsden
          Facepalm

"Cardigowns"?

Is that the new Onesie?

2. TheOtherHobbes

>while spending on acoustic guitars and power drills is relatively low

The end of an era.

1. Blane Bramble

>>while spending on acoustic guitars and power drills is relatively low

>The end of an era.

I'm old skool - bought an (electro) acoustic guitar a few weeks ago and looking at buying a new drill.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Coat

Going to play "Driller Killer" then?

Mines the one with a copy of Tarkus (on Cassette naturally) in the pocket.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

I found I got a better sound out of the drill, but that is just be. not so much "musically challenged" as musically defeated.

1. stucs201

I'd recommend an impact driver to accompany the drill. Not only are they useful, but it adds a percussion section for those considering the accoustic merits of their purchases.

3. Pookietoo

Re: I'm old skool

Heh - I made the guitar electro-acoustic by drilling holes for a piezo pickup and preamp.

3. Spacedinvader
    Facepalm

So, Steam sales will keep inflation down then?

4. Anonymous Custard
    Trollface

A pre-budget revelation?

Suddenly the cause of the current state of the economy becomes much clearer...

5. Stevie

Bah!

Wait, did I misunderstand the term "Drills for Guitar"?

Blast! Another unnecessary purchase!

1. skeptical i
      Pint

Re: Bah!

If not "Drills for Guitar", perhaps "Rock Drills"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9mlcKVp-TY

A relic from back when some advertising was worth watching.

6. Alister

Computer game downloads are added, as “attracting increased expenditure and their inclusion splits the eight of computer games".

I didn't get what this means, anybody??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Typ0: "... splits the Weight of computer games..."

2. g e

The typo is strong with this one, methinks

7. GregC

A thought on the alcohol/tobacco thing - how long before e-cigarettes, and particularly the liquids, become a factor? Where I work I'd estimate that over half the smokers (including me) have made the changeover.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You do know e-cigs are only there to help you give up smoking? They are not a replacement for it.

1. h4rm0ny

That's just the marketing and justification. I know at least one person who uses them just because they're cheaper so they can have more.

And I think some others use them because it lets them pretend they're healthy whilst still getting their nicotine fix.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still no room for anything that tracks house price inflation then ?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Still no room for anything that tracks house price inflation then ?"

That's a different index. In a rational world, of course, it's the one that should be used but nobody twigged that even when ignoring it brought about the utterly foreseeable financial disaster. The corollary of whether or not Whitehall lives in a rational world is quite clear.

2. Seriouscyrus

Oh no no no, that only affects young people, that wouldn't say anything about how pub lunches and nights out are reducing and instead people are staying in with cheap booze and computer games coz noone can effing afford to go out anymore. Your money can still buy stuff, it's just you have tp pay it all on housing.

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

'drops rewritable DVDs, which HM’s stattos describe as “a declining technology which is being superseded by streaming services and personal video recorders (PVRs)”. So it’s no surprise that CD-ROMs are also dropped, with the ONS saying people are increasingly downloading software instead.'

When the rise of ransomware increases the awareness of the importance of backups maybe expenditure here will increase again. Or will the next revision include expenditure on ransoms?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Er, external drive fixes that.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Only if it's not plugged in...

WORM media has many benefits, and backups are one seriously good case for them

1. Pookietoo

Re: WORM media has many benefits

Write Once Read Maybe

10. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Negative Stereotyping

Significantly, we also get microwave-able rice.

Not exactly doing anyone's culinary reputation any good with this one.

1. Santa from Exeter

Re: Negative Stereotyping

The article has everyone sitting around swigging Baileys and sucking lemons and you pick on *that*?

(Incidentally, citrus juice is a sure fire way to curdle cream based liqueurs)

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Thumb Down

Re: Negative Stereotyping

Santa from Exeter, I think you are right in your implication that the other things on the list have dire implications. I would argue that rice is one of the simplest things to make and has been for millennia. Turning it into a microwavable product indicates that people are willing to pay extra for an inferior product that gains them little in the way of time. It pretty much says they are too stupid or lazy or whatever to boil water.

I give you a thumbs up for being engaged on the subject. To the consumers who fuel these metrics, see icon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon