back to article Brit teen bags $250,000 in first World Drone Prix

A 15-year-old schoolboy from the UK has won a first prize of US$250,000 (£175,000) after besting 31 other pilots at the first World Drone Prix in Dubai. Drone racing track in Dubai Racers, start your rotors Luke Bannister, pilot for the Tornado X-Blades Banni UK, beat home team Dubai Drone Tek into second place, by racing …

1. ratfox

43 members in the team?? Drone races are more complex than I thought.

1. Roq D. Kasba

One per blade, plus spares.

Gotta say, that actually looks rather fun :)

2. Mark 85

I was trying to sort that one out also... I wonder what we're missing here? Are these things as complex as an F1 car?

3. AndyS

Let's think. Pilot, Navigator. Mums (2). Technical fellows (electronics: 2, mechanics, including 3D printer operator, 2). Transport / Logistics folk (2). Umm... Caterers. (2).

So, I can get to 12. Unless they're all under 18, in which case I guess there are a few more mums, but even then that would only bring it to 22.

2. Bronek Kozicki

It would be more fun

... with RC helicopters. Obviously collective pitch, blade size at least 325mm (different categories for different blade length). They are much faster and also much more agile - at the expense of being more difficult to control. Negative side - more expensive to buy and maintain, much more difficult to learn, dangerous (there had been fatalities from RC helicopters hitting person).

1. AndyS

Re: It would be more fun

It would also be more fun with real quadcopters, with people in them. Or hoverboards. Or maybe even quantum-drive hyper pods.

However, this was for remote controlled quadcopter drones.

Do you make similar comments on every sporting event? Football, eh? That would be more fun if contact was allowed. Formula One? Pah, limited engine size? What's that all about?

1. Mystic Megabyte
        Coffee/keyboard

Re: It would be more fun @AndyS

>Or maybe even quantum-drive hyper pods.

LOL!

2. Bronek Kozicki

Huh? I do not think you know what you are talking about. There are already sport events for RC helicopters (as opposed to e.g. "quadcopters with people" or "hoverboards"), just not first person view ones. That's obviously because these were established long before current FPV capabilities for RC became available, and also because drones with FPV are simply easier to fly (hence more flow of interested candidates). FPV on RC helicopters is considered niche, partially because of more focus on aerobatics and also because of safety concerns (line of sight flying is considered safer, which is important for a device capable of decapitating people). Currently such events are focused on aerobatics or precision flying, but there is no racing like this (because it would require FPV rather than LOS flying). Here you can see how this looks like

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Fungus Bob
        Devil

"Do you make similar comments on every sporting event?"

Any sport can be improved with hand grenades.

1. Bronek Kozicki
          Coat

Honestly, no one will agree with me that this kind of a race would be more exciting with larger, more agile, faster, noisier (not to mention dangerous and more difficult to fly) machines??

I guess I should just crawl back under my stone

1. Fungus Bob

"Honestly, no one will agree with me that this kind of a race would be more exciting with larger, more agile, faster, noisier (not to mention dangerous and more difficult to fly) machines??"

Oh, I agree with you but I'm quite mad. And don't forget to throw in a few hand grenades to give the spectators more bang for their buck...

1. Captain DaFt

"And don't forget to throw in a few hand grenades to give the spectators more bang for their buck..."

Pah! Include flamethrowers or count me out!

1. SkippyBing

"Honestly, no one will agree with me that this kind of a race would be more exciting with larger, more agile, faster, noisier (not to mention dangerous and more difficult to fly) machines??"

Sooo like the Red Bull air races? Because I think they exist.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Yeah, something like Red Bull air races, but 1) helicopters fly differently to airplanes 2) pilot over RC link rather than inside the craft 3) slightly smaller.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Any sport can be improved with hand grenades."

And jetpacks! Don't forget jetpacks!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Bronek Kozicki

Well yeah, I suppose 171MPH (or more, but unsuccessful) is faster. Except as I said before, because of lack of FPV on RC helicopter there is no actual track to complete. That's exactly what I was referring to - a track racing event such as this, but for RC helicopters would be really fun. There is no such thing currently.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If you think 'they practically fly themselves' I suggest you go and try before thoroughly eating your words. Secondly most racing takes place in Acro mode with most of the stabalisation turned off for better control and speeds.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @Anonymous Coward

@Haku no, but have another one. If you knew about fpv racing you wouldn't be talking rubbish

3. 7-zark-7

Wipeout 2097

"Contestant eliminated"

That is all.

4. Andy 73 Silver badge

Susceptible to optimisation

Looks to me from the video that there's probably a lot of optimisation that can be done to make a drone particularly suitable for that sort of course, and to implement various 'pilot aids' that would reduce errors.

A bit like Robot Wars - early series are about pilot skill, then people start to figure out the tech that will give them the edge.

1. YARR

Re: Susceptible to optimisation

There are racing quads being released with rotors tilted forward for faster forward flight - I guess this sacrifices the ability to hover though.

5. Boothy

Live streaming in VR

This looks way more interesting for live streaming in VR/3D than things like football or tennis etc. At least for me!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't do spectator sports

But I'd watch this all day long. Superb. Screen overlay in corner of all drone positions, and we're sorted.

7. W Donelson

Just as boring as car racing to watch, but with a more irritating sound

*facepalm*

8. lawndart

says:

A little disappointed there wasn't a shotgun-blast dodging section

1. Boothy

Re: says:

Vertical drops

Swinging pendulums.

Stompers.

Port holes of an ever decreasing size

9. Peter Christy

There has been R/C helicopter racing!

I know, because I did it! Our club used to hold an open pylon race every year - racing aircraft around a triangular course. It was open to any R/C aircraft, with a handicap formula based on engine size and weight. Tjhis worked fine for fixed wing, so I thought I'd have a go with a helicopter. Helicopters tended to be heavier for a given engine size, as a big propeller turning slowly (ie: a rotor!) is more efficient than a small prop turning quickly. Thus the handicap formula worked in my favour!

Three aircraft would fly the course together, so at the start, three of us set off down the straight heading for the far pylon. We all arrived pretty much together, but when I performed a "bank and yank" turn around the pylon, the other guys just scattered - terrified of being chopped to bits by the flailing rotors!

I won, but helicopters were banned after that!

--

Pete

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: There has been R/C helicopter racing!

Thanks, that was interesting.

10. theyellowbear

Good Job!

Where did Ahmed the "Clock Boy" finish in this competition??

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Reg SPB ... where are you ?

Wouldn't it be a great SPB project to enter an AI pilot in next year's contest ?

After all, the Playmonaut doesn't seem to be doing anything else right now ....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like