back to article What's next? FBI telling us to turn iPhones into pocket spy bugs? It'll happen, says Apple exec

The FBI could turn on your phone's camera or microphone by remote control to spy on you, according to top Apple exec Eddy Cue, if the Feds win their case to unlock the iPhone of San Bernardino killer Syed Farook. Speaking to Spanish-language station Univision, Cue, who has Cuban parents and is fluent in Spanish, warned that …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Big Brother

Snowden said when he was in Hong Kong that the NSA can remotely turn on phones and cameras. That was three years ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Could

At that point they had all key codebases (except I think BB) hacked. That may no longer be the case with iPhone, but it is definitely the case with some droids - there you can load anything you like via baseband and baseband supports software download over air interface.

1. Charles Manning

Re: Could

You'd need to hack more than the codebase.

You'd also have to make edits...

And push them back into Apple...

And make sure it was not spotted.....

And make sure that Apple built, released and updated those versions.

The only way you could really accomplish this is with an inside job:

... And keeping it quiet.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bugging your phone

They can turn on microphones by placing a silent call, which is supposedly allowed via the baseband code (which is written by Qualcomm) or possibly via the SIM. iOS itself doesn't have a backdoor for this, but they don't need one since Apple (nor Google, Microsoft, etc.) has no control over the baseband code or the code run in the SIM.

Perhaps one of the reasons Apple is reportedly talking to Intel about licensing their LTE technology is that Apple wants to license it and include it in their SoC - and maintain the baseband code themselves so if any nasty surprises are in there they can fix them. Another good reaosn to do away with the physical SIM (which is a computer in its own right and runs its own OS using closed code) and go to a software one - close another avenue for the NSA to snoop on you.

3. fishbone

And they do this without Tim Cook's help?

4. gnasher729 Silver badge

If they could turn on phones and cameras remotely (on which device exactly? under which conditions? ) three years ago, doesn't mean they can do it today.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Pocket Spy Bugs

This is already being done. I'll bet that someone at the NSA is giving the FBI lads a good arse kicking for digging this bone up again. All this fuss by Apple is just a marketing move to make punters feel secure and sell more phones.

1. msknight

Re: RE: Pocket Spy Bugs

Agreed. Apple have cooperated with the spooks in the past. They're just kicking up a fuss now, because it's in the public eye.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They were the last to fold of all the companies listed, and the extent of each company's cooperation isn't clear from the NSA slide. Apple has been taking steps over the past couple years to make it more difficult for them to even be ABLE to cooperate with the government, so they are never again in a position where secret laws can be used against them without public knowledge. If they don't have a way to access information, no one needs to worry about them providing it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Either that or Apple are still working with the spooks and kicking uo a fuss now to persuade everyone that iPhones are unhackable when NSA/CIA/FBI/XYZ can hack them whenever they want. The ulitmate win/win scenario - Apple gets lots of public kudos for standing up for the ordianry punter against the intelligence machine while the TLAs get to see everything their targets are doing since they've been convinced the iPhone can't be hacked. They did this before in Afghanistan making a big fuus over international PAYG sim cards and for a time AlQueda bought the line that if they used Mint SIMs then they couldn't be tracked ... apparently worked brilliantly until a US General unwisely bragged to journalists that they just waited for a phone with a Mint SIM to connect to a cell tower and then they knew where AlQ were and sent in the drones.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Which was itself just a story to cover up the real tactic of dropping bombs at random on any target they fancy and claiming they terrorist_target_of_the_day afterwards

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If Apple was still working with the spooks under some secret law that covers them, Google, Microsoft, Facebook and everyone else, why would either side bother with this public spectacle? This issue was not on anyone's radar before, so it would only draw attention to it and possibly cause someone in the know with teh government, Apple or other involved tech companies to squeal.

The problem with large scale conspiracies is the more people know the more likely it will be revealed.

3. Diodelogic

I seem to remember...

...that there is malware around that can remotely turn on cameras and microphones on desktop/laptop computers without the user being aware. Does any of that apply to phones as well?

Or am I misremembering?

1. Captain DaFt

Re: I seem to remember...

That would be RAT, Remote Access Trojan, the stalker's friend.

And yes, there's been similar stuff for the TLA's since the good ol' days of landline. ie: Turning on phones remotely without them ringing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I seem to remember...

The microphone in the iPhone is always on. Just say "Hey Siri" from across the room and you'll see what I mean.

Other than some technical feats, what really enabled government spying on citizens, is when Consumers started Accepting that Services will be turned on by default.

For the average User it's easier to Click "YES" to turn on GeoLocation, Siri, iCloud etc...

We can all thank Microsoft for conditioning the population to click Next, Next, Finish.

Who would really read dozens of pages of EULA's? Most people don't read, know and understand what they accept by clicking that button.

It's Complacency that's enabling the evil in this world. Just think of the post 9/11 era and how your freedom was taken away from you. We were so busy watching embedded journalists in IRAQ and Afghanistan on TV, that we didn't even notice the mass surveillance systems being built under our noses.

1. johnnymotel

or this version?

"The microphone in the iPhone is always on. Just say "Hey Siri" from across the room and you'll see what I mean."

Doesn't work on my phone....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: or this version?

Ok. That means you are Safe, for now. The FBI may still order you to turn on Siri as you might say something bad in the future. Or you are in the same room with people that might say bad things.

Do you realky want to be the person helping the terrorists ?

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Pirate

Pot, kettle?

I notice Mr Cue is careful not to state whether Apple can already turn on your iBone's mic or camera remotely. Not surprising really when iBones send so much "advertising" data back to Apple already.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pot, kettle?

He is reported as specifically saying

"Some day they will want us to turn on your phone's camera or microphone. Those are things we cannot do now."

Did you read the article, or did you just comment from your own opinion of what you thought he would say?

1. Robin

Did you read the article, or did you just comment from your own opinion of what you thought he would say?

Just wanted to use "iBone" by the looks of it. I'd bet that comments on Microsoft articles are written with currency symbols.

2. Handy Plough

Lets have the evidence the Bryant! Or are you mouthing off as per usual?

5. Vimes

Surely there's a simple solution where the camera is concerned? Sell the handset with a sliding cover of some sort that covers the lens and can only be physically opened by the user themselves?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Simple plan that one, but more likely to be implemented in a 3rd party iPhone case than by Apple themselves. Or in any number of currently existing iPhone cases and a slip of foil-backed paper.

I don't know, but I would imagine that a bugged microphone would be more useful to spooks than a bugged camera, anyhow - and that would be harder to muffle. I suppose you could have a phone case with a small speaker, playing pseudo-random gibberish (or Radio 2's Jeremy Vine show - same difference) into the phone's microphones.

1. Kevin Johnston

It would actually be simpler for the very paranoid to have a case with a dummy connector to plug into the speaker/microphone jack socket. That would take the internal microphone out of the loop and make even silent calls irrelevant

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>It would actually be simpler for the very paranoid to have a case with a dummy connector to plug into the speaker/microphone jack socket.

The switch between internal mic and headset is managed by software - plugging in a jack doesn't disable the internal microphone hardware per se. If we're working on the assumption that the phone's software is compromised, then I wouldn't trust a jack to disable the internal mic. So Kevin, you're not being paranoid enough mate! :)

(This can be demonstrated, at least on Android phones, with an App called 'SoundAbout' which is handy for using headphones that confuse the phone - typically headsets designed for iPhones. You can force the audio routing to your will, as a workaround. )

2. Vimes

@Dave 126

Apple make a battery case now don't they? They could try incorporating a sliding cover into that.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: @Dave 126

>Apple make a battery case now don't they? They could try incorporating a sliding cover into that.

Apple could, but that would be tantamount to them admitting they don't trust their own software stack, in addition to any aesthetic and manufacturing considerations.

Users who want to block their camera can do so with nearly any case by just sliding a chewing gum wrapper in front of the camera :)

2. James 51
      Childcatcher

Exactly like the N900.

6. Jeff Lewis

Well, except that the FBI doesn't have the authority to do that - and the remedy the FBI is requesting doesn't actually give them the ability to do it. Then there's that whole 'warrant' thing people keep missing - not to mention the 4th Amendment which pretty much says 'no - you can't do that'.

But hey - facts aside, I think Mr. Cue is confusing the FBI with the NSA (who actually CAN do what he's suggesting - but as we've already seen - don't need Apple's help in doing it...)

The rhetoric in this situation really has been turned up to 11.

1. redpawn

Yes they can

You have been in contact with spies and terrorists. Your visits to this site are evidence of that. Connection made. This is a developing emergency. Thousands of lives are at risk. You must be spied upon. NSA called in. No laws broken. Secret laws supersede the constitution for issues of national security. Secret courts agree.

Ever wonder why you need to charge your battery more often than you used to?

2. John H Woods Silver badge

"Then there's that whole 'warrant' thing people keep missing" -- Jeff Lewis

If you were right, the court of the first instance missed it is as well: because if it were a simple "warrant thing" then that court would never have needed to rely on the All Writs Act, as failure to comply with a warrant would put Apple in contempt of court.

People who say "This should be as simple as a warrant" are expressing an opinion that could potentially be justified by argument (I haven't yet seen a compelling one, but it's possible). People who say "This is as simple as a warrant issue" are just plain old wrong, and any other authoritative assertions that they make can be safely ignored.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Privacy, security etc... aside

"When we are forced to create a new system to do new things, where will it stop?" he hypothesized.

A new system? Now I know why Apple are resisting, they haven't created anything new ever, it must scare them...

1. Dr Abner Mality

BINGO!!! All the h8trs can h8 U, but you are oh-so-spot on. What we're really seeing in the FBI-Apple drama is the collapse of Apple's Reality Distortion Field launched and maintained by Steve Jobs. This will not end well for Cupertino.

8. Mephistro
    Flame

I totally agree with Mr. Cue here

If the FBI and other TLAs are allowed to use the All Writs Act in the San Bernardino case, what prevents them from requesting other kinds of access using the same law?

It would seem as if the FBI and pals were preparing a big panoply against their own citizens, for when they need it. I 'd suggest changing their name from FBI to STASI and cut all the PR bullshit.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: I totally agree with Mr. Cue here

The TLA's capabilities are already way beyond anything the MfS (aka Stasi) dared to dream of, even in their wildest and wettest dreams. So maybe 'MegaStasi'?

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

America is a modern freedom loving democracy with a constitution and the rule of law. They aren't going to use anti-terrorism laws to crack down on journalists or people fibbing about where their kids should go to school like some tin-pot 3rd world monarchy.

1. KjetilS

I hope you're being sarcastic here

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>I hope you're being sarcastic here

Sarcasm, on a website for British sysadmins ? Never !

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
            Joke

'Sarcasm', they say, is the lowest form of wit.

I usually tell those people to just fuck off.

1. Vic

'Sarcasm', they say, is the lowest form of wit.

However, wit it does remain. And that can rarely be said of those quoting that phrase...

Vic.

3. Arctic fox
      Headmaster

@Mephistor Re: I totally agree with Mr. Cue here

Indeed. My eyeballs started to bleed when I read that subheading. I don't normally do the grammar nazi schtick but what in the name of Deity was wrong with "Cue warnings of repercussions...."? Much more of this and El Reg' subbies are going to cost me a fortune in in eyewash and tranquillizers.

9. a_yank_lurker

And the ferals wonder

Given the level of stupidity of the ferals, it's a wonder that they can recruit anyone with a couple of functioning brain cells. The whole case is about dumb shysters and assorted other low-lifes pontificating about a subject they absolutely do not understand and will never understand. But they are too arrogant to even admit they ignorant.

10. mrjohn

So now we see what really worries Apple, having tried to make their device the centre of people's lives they realise people might decide this is not a good option.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I see

I see you have an iPhone in your pocket and you ARE pleased to see me!

12. mike white 1

America is not the world

If the FBI does win the court case will any modifications be limited too iPhones sold in the US market or is US Law global?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: America is not the world

It would seem that some members of the US government are under the impression that the reach of 'the long arm of the law' is somewhat defined by the range of their Predator drones.

2. Velv

So let's assume Apple is forced to write new Government mandated firmware...

Will Homeland Security be checking the devices of travellers to the USA on arrival:

"Excuse me Mr Tourist, we see you've got an iPhone? Is it the US version or the non-US version (in which case we are going to deny you entry)?"

And is any country going to ban the US version? Wasn't it The Netherlands that recently implemented laws preventing this type of privacy invasion, in which case are Merkin Fanbois going to be barred from Holland?

1. Bronek Kozicki

It is never going to be "just USA". Once the new firmware is known to have been written, other governments will request Apple to make the spying features available to them as well - otherwise "emergency" tax will be added to to Apple's bill, or perhaps Apple simply banned from the country.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

That's exactly their problem.

As soon as America wins this the Chinese, Russians, UK, Iranians and Belgians are going to demand the same.

Apple could make a different version for each country and give them unique keys - but if the US is going to demand keys to any phone then the same keys will work for the Belgians. So the ruling will give those Belgians access to the phone of every American politician.

We will be eating our Freedom Fries with mayonaise by christmas.

13. Naughtyhorse

For some reason images of pots and kettles spring to mind...

14. Dr Abner Mality
    Alert

Denial is not a river flowing through Egypt

Why do so many not think Apple and Cook are capable of the same FUD and misdirection tactics used by every major vendor? Read "The Secrets of Surveillance Capitalism" in the online Frankfurter Allgemeine [http://goo.gl/Ji06iV]. The article targets Google, but let's be real: all smartphones are Trojans designed to scrape as much personal info about you as they can, including Apple products. Google supports Apple against the FBI because the diversion provided by protracted litigation is in Google's best interests, business-wise. If the app or service costs the user nothing, then the real product in this business model is user data -- all of it. And we all freely give ourselves away. Either we accept the notion that Internet privacy is a myth and conduct our online behavior accordingly or, like Tim Cook, behave hypocritically and live in denial.

15. Richard Parkin

Assault on battery

The FBI are aiming at being able to cause the battery to explode, preferably when a call is made.

16. Wolfclaw

If Apple lose and then all the other tech companies are forced to open up, then no American company will be trusted overseas killing their industry or they will have two make an alternative version for the US market and other countries (UK,France,Australia,India,China,N.Korea,Iran .....) hell bent of destroying civil liberties !

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How absurd

The arguments put form by Apple are ridiculous, outrageous and complete nonsense to dupe the public and try to get a court to side with them. This one will go to the Supreme Court if Apple continues to stonewall and Apple will lose in court for sure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like