back to article Woz waxwork weady to woll

Woz is going wax. An effigy of everyone's favorite geek will be officially unveiled at Comic Con in San Jose later this month and then moved to the Madame Tussauds in San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf. The Apple co-founder was the winner of a poll last year – beating out Elon Musk, George Lucas, Larry Page, Sheryl Sandberg …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

So the "tech innovator" section's getting a tech innovator. About time.

2. Eddy Ito

requiring a sitting of several hours and then several months of sculpting

I really hope, as it would only be fitting, that actually means they wanted to get the highest possible resolution out of their 3D scanner and printer. Besides, he just seems like the kind of guy who would get a kick of folks being able to download and print out an accurate mini-Woz at home.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WoZ or Woz?

will it have a hint of Seth Rogaine?

4. MrDamage Silver badge
    Joke

Woz will personally unveil himself on stage

Aren't there "think of the children" laws to prevent this sort of behaviour?

5. Captain DaFt

Now, what I'd do if I was him...

I'd get a cover identical to the one over the waxwork, dress identically, then sneak on stage before the curtain opened and pose beside the statue.

But then again, I'm silly like that.

6. Androgynous Cow Herd

Saw Mark Knopfler's wax figure as a kid?

Knopfler is less than a year older than Woz....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh Woz...

...patron saint of every geek who spent their evenings writing patches for their own video drivers or who get the love-bubbles at the thought of just about any 8-bit system (though, of course, they have their favourite).

We all have, or are, our local Woz. He - or she - is the guy - or gal - who makes us feel part of the technology maelstrom, rather than a victim of it. When the Jobs'es and Ballmers of the world - having leapt to the top of the corporate monkey-bars at the first opportunity - stride around boardrooms selling dreams and intoxicating vapours it is the Wozes' dreams they sell. It is scent of the Wozes' breath that makes the VPs swoon.

Praise Woz in all his forms. The unicorn, who is lord of his virginal worshippers. The womble, who makes use of the things that he finds. The wookie, who roars common sense whilst his slick-dressed friend gets all the princess-action.

All I can say is that one wax Woz is not enough. If there was one wax Woz we would wane. One wax Woz wouldn't w'suffice.

Where is MY Woz?

1. Mike 16

Re: Oh Woz...

Would have up-voted if you could just have refrained from repeating the trope that all tech workers are "virgins" unable to "get princess-action" (or prince action). Not that I'm in Woz's league, but I had to laugh when a headhunter offered to "find me a woman" (apparently "for the night") while trying to induce me to have him represent him. Sorry dude, already in a stable relationship with an actual woman. Woz himself is a nice person who I once saw in a high-school theatre production of "Into The Woods". The high school his kids attended. How does that happen without at least a little "princess action".

Or is it just that normal women, who would like to pair up with decent men, don't qualify as "princesses"? For a _real_ Princess only Royal Dicks need apply?

8. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

All hail The Mighty Woz!

"Although we suspect a significant proportion of visitors to the wax museum in future will wonder who the short hairy guy is standing next to Jobs and Zuckerberg."

And that's precisely why he should - no, must - be there.

1. druck Silver badge
      Coat

Re: All hail The Mighty Woz!

Hopefully the exhibit will be clearly labelled; the guy who created first Apple computers, the guy who sued other people for using rounded corners, and the guy behind the biggest waste humankind's time,.

9. ukgnome

Shirley

beating OFF Elon Musk, George Lucas, Larry Page, Sheryl Sandberg and Marissa Mayer

much funnier

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon