back to article UN rapporteur: 'Bad example' UK should bin the Snoopers' Charter

The UN's special rapporteur on privacy has used his maiden report to the Human Rights Council, which he presented today, to criticise the UK's potential Snoopers' Charter. Joseph Cannataci, the UN's first “Special Rapporteur on the Right to Privacy in the Digital Age", used his 30-page report (DOC) to invite the British …

1. Chika

I'd like to agree with the UN rapporteur but I'm afraid that HMG might be reading this...

2. hplasm
    Pint

Joseph Cannataci-

this is for you --->

3. Anonymous Blowhard
    Mushroom

Theresa May

this is for you --->

1. Alister
      Coat

@Anonymous Blowhard

You appear to be threatening the use of a nuclear device on the person of the Home Secretary, is this wise?

1. Gordon 10

Its ok. He didnt tweet it. And hopefully the chances of May getting an airport named after her are exceptionally low.

2. heyrick Silver badge

He isn't threatening a nuclear device, it's a little graphic designed to suggest the level of anger for when a picture of steam coming out of the ears just isn't sufficient.

3. hplasm
        Happy

Clarification:

"You appear to be threatening the use of a nuclear device on the person of the Home Secretary, is this wise?"

From orbit, it is, yes.

1. Kane
          Thumb Up

Re: Clarification:

"From orbit, it is, yes."

It's the only way to be sure.

4. Anonymous Blowhard

@Alister

I'll be fine, as long as we have a government that respects the right to free speech and doesn't have any plans to restrict this through mass surveillance.

Oh bugger!

1. Mark 85
          Black Helicopters

@Anonymous Blowhard

I'll be fine, as long as we have a government that respects the right to free speech and doesn't have any plans to restrict this through mass surveillance.

Oh bugger!

Well.. it was nice knowing you. I know Blighty doesn't have a warm weather place like Gitmo, but I do it's better than Siberia..

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Anonymous Blowhard

"Oh, bugger"

It's OK. But can we have your stuff when the Finger Squads black-bag you?

5. PleebSmasher
        Dead Vulture

@Alister: the image might not necessarily depict the explosion of a nuclear device. It could be depicting a high yield conventional bomb which can also produce a mushroom cloud.

2. streaky

We got a tango guys. Good job his comms are already being monitored.

4. Alexander J. Martin
    Big Brother

British public

this is for you --->

5. scrubber

Bleeding heart liberal...

"The report also voices another serious concern that the impact of this extreme legislation will be felt around the world, and copied by other countries."

Next they'll be telling us we can't invade countries without good reason, abduct people and hold them without a trial, or torture people because "it might set a bad example".

1. streaky

Re: Bleeding heart liberal...

Next they'll be telling us we can't invade countries without good reason, abduct people and hold them without a trial, or torture people because "it might set a bad example".

Next hopefully they'll be telling us to deal with one issue on it's own merits rather than conflating a shopping list of different issues. No really, please stop that; you guys make it really difficult for me to argue your side.

This is a tendency in Snowden that really grates with me.

6. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
    Meh

Nice to think the UN will take a stance on this...

but... what exactly is the UN going to do when our data-fetish government outright ignores them and pushes ahead regardless?

Because they will push ahead. Regrardless of what UN / ECJ / ECHR have to say. Regardless of how illegal it is.

1. Mark 85

Re: Nice to think the UN will take a stance on this...

What will they do? Well.. they'll sputter and spurt a few speeches, maybe "be very, very disappointed". They might even not invite your ambassador to their next soiree.

2. streaky

Re: Nice to think the UN will take a stance on this...

The ECJ will be able to get them to stop if they choose to. They're not going to choose to is the problem.

7. Red Bren

Brexit

Theresa May announces a referendum for the UK to leave the UN, complaining that "It keeps interfering with our sovereign rights to spy on our own subjects!"

1. deive

Re: Brexit

This!

Notice how hard they have been trying to worm out of the human rights act? It does seem that this is the whole reason for it, as mass surveillance goes against human rights.

This has been ongoing for so long and every time the bill gets knowked down - will they just f***ing drop it already?? *Sigh*

1. Rich 11

Re: Brexit

Notice how hard they have been trying to worm out of the human rights act? It does seem that this is the whole reason for it, as mass surveillance goes against human rights.

I wouldn't say the whole reason for it, but perhaps part of it given that someone in the Tory party (Privy Councillors?) may well have known of the surveillance programme during New Labour's spell in government. But a much more public part was almost certainly down to Murdoch's influence -- he railed against the HRA because it's the closest thing we've got to a privacy law, and we do now know just how badly some of his newspapers were in breach of that.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its a ticking bomb being left by Cameron to screw up the negotiations with the EU after the English vote to leave.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

I'm still fairly hopeful that we won't vote to leave the EU. The only people who really want it are the more right-wing portion of the Tory party (yes, UKIPpers, this includes you), and thankfully, that is not representative of the population as a whole.

The only others likely to vote that way are those who are swayed by what they read in The Sun, The Times, The Torygraph, et al, and to be honest, those dumb enough to read the Murdoch/Barclay press are unlikely to also be clever and motivated enough to vote in a referendum.

This will remain my belief, until my faith in human nature is shattered once more by the next demonstration of mass stupidity...

1. noboard

Ahh insulting people who don't agree with you, always the calling card of a solid argument.

So, are you saying that people who read the Murdoch press are actually clever? It's an interesting viewpoint.

2. scrubber

Low information commentards

So all those traditional Labour supporters who think the EU has led to mass migration from Eastern Europe leading to native unemployment, benefits abuse and lower low-skilled wages are what, told what to think by Murdoch rather than what they see down the local job centre? People being offered jobs at wages they can barely live on but told that someone will take it if they don't are not actually hearing that but simply being confused by the Murdoch media?

Large states -> large bureaucracies -> centralisation of power -> wielding of power -> war or totalitarianism or both

Small states -> petty bureaucracies -> decentralisation of power -> very little power to wield -> parochial squabbles over putting your bins out and keeping your garden tidy

Over-simplified? Maybe. But it makes a kind of intuitive sense.

Re: Low information commentards

So all those traditional Labour supporters who think the EU has led to mass migration from Eastern Europe leading to native unemployment, benefits abuse and lower low-skilled wages are what, told what to think by Murdoch rather than what they see down the local job centre?

Pretty much, yes. Given that net migration within the EU is probably a lot less than you actually think, and that when people come here, it will more often than not be to go straight into a skilled job, because the cost of moving here from Poland means that people are not coming here just to get benefits.

Also, what about all the British citizens claiming benefits in EU countries? For example, Ireland, where they are entitled to more than they can get here and don't have to undergo the same soul-destroying processes involved in signing on in the UK:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/-sp-thousands-britons-claim-benefits-eu

Given that we are a relatively small country, those statistics pretty much show that British people are worse than a lot of those from other countries we like to talk about.

Also, that whole bit about low wages - that has nothing to do with the EU, and everything to do with our own government not mandating a decent minimum wage that people can actually live on. Do you honestly think that would improve if we were to leave the EU?

1. scrubber

"Given that net migration within the EU is probably a lot less than you actually think"

Ignoring what I think, let's see what net migration actually is:

330,000 in year ending March 2015 (BBC) approx. 200k had jobs, meaning 130k did not.

If you're looking for work, or a better job, and see this influx of people, bearing in mind they are not evenly spread across the country, then it is easy to see this as a major issue if they're coming into the same segment of the job market as you are in. But if you're a middle class programmer it's probably easier to dismiss such claims as Murdoch hysteria and right wing Tory propaganda.

There are 850k Polish people in the UK, more than Indians, which I don't care about, but I can see the same resentment towards the Eastern Europeans among many people that I recall people having towards Indians and Pakistanis in the early 80s. And it's working, and not-working, class people that mainly have this issue as it's easy to blame 'the other' for your low wages, poor prospects and lack of success, regardless of where the fault actually lies.

1. Cynic_999

"

330,000 in year ending March 2015 (BBC) approx. 200k had jobs, meaning 130k did not.

"

Sounds perfectly reasonable if it involves families with non-working children & housewives. Any idea how that percentage compares with the percentage of the whole population that is working? Or are you erroneously assuming that everyone who does not have a job is claiming benefits?

1. scrubber

Pretty small number of children, the majority would be looking for work not benefits. Which is why seeing a massive influx of low wage seeking people in certain areas would lead the low skilled in those areas to resent the immigrants, regardless of the actual impact on jobs and wages in those areas.

From the ONS:

"Of those immigrating for work-related reasons in the year ending September 2014, 62% (167,000) came with a definite job to go to and 38% (104,000) came to look for work."

"Or are you erroneously assuming that everyone who does not have a job is claiming benefits?"

I guess not. Seems your perception of my point is what is erroneous.

OTOH a small number are coming for medical treatment and are disproportionately expensive, but that's nothing to do with the issue at hand.

2. Rich 11

Over-simplified? Maybe.

Definitely over-simplified. Just look at how much power in the UK has been taken from local government and moved to central government over the last 30 years. Look at how the likes of Eric Pickles promised to decentralise power until he found people wanted to do the things he didn't want to do. Look at the way education has been brought under the direct control of the Secretary of State for Education -- that's your kids' future and all the shit at school they have to put up with today, not a squabble about dustbins.

3. The_Idiot

Hmmm....

@Scrubber

"Large states -> large bureaucracies -> centralisation of power -> wielding of power -> war or totalitarianism or both"

Can't argue with that - I'll even cite the British Empire as an excellent example :-).

"Small states -> petty bureaucracies -> decentralisation of power -> very little power to wield -> parochial squabbles over putting your bins out and keeping your garden tidy"

So independance for Yorkshire! Or, um, Hartlepool! Or maybe establish Passport Control at Pimlico!

"Passport to Pimlico is a 1949 British comedy film made by Ealing Studios and starring Stanley Holloway, Margaret Rutherford and Hermione Baddeley.... The film was inspired by a true incident during the Second World War, when the maternity ward of Ottawa Civic Hospital was temporarily declared extraterritorial by the Canadian government so that, when Princess Margriet of the Netherlands was born there, she would not lose her right to the throne."

Yes, I admit it. I'm old (blush). And I still have a soft spot for Ealing Studios...

1. David 132 Silver badge
            Thumb Up

Re: Hmmm....

Upvoted solely for the reference to Ealing Studios.

For my mind, Kind Hearts and Coronets - or the Lavender Hill Mob - are better than Passport to Pimlico, but each to their own.

"I shot an arrow in the air... she fell to earth in Berkeley Square."

1. The_Idiot

Re: Hmmm....

@David 132

"For my mind, Kind Hearts and Coronets - or the Lavender Hill Mob - are better than Passport to Pimlico"

And I'd have no argument against either being better - it's just Passport was apropos of the 'smaller states are better' view, though it sort of didn't turn out quite like that by the end of the movie... :-)

3. phuzz Silver badge
        Headmaster

Actually, the coverage in the Torygraph has been surprisingly even-handed, at least the bits I've seen.

Less so the opinion pieces of course.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love the "meddling" EU. They're the only ones who talk about human rights, and pass sane laws on digital matters.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. John Mangan

This!

The more information gathered the more false positives there will be.

It doesn't matter if you whittle them down to the fractions of a per cent of the total individuals involved. Even 0.01% of 70 million people is 7000 people (and their families/friends) potentially having their lives turned upside down 'because'.

Does anyone believe sufficient resources will be provided to include checks and counter-checks to get the figure even as low as this?

2. Anonymous Blowhard

"As before, I do not think we have any issues with the government agencies acquiring this knowledge as their remit is focused on serious issues."

I have major issues with government agencies acquiring this knowledge because even if "their remit is focused on serious issues" this isn't the way to solve those issues.

We can't protect our way of life by destroying the foundations on which it's built.

1. Mark 85

This----> We can't protect our way of life by destroying the foundations on which it's built

It should be the mantra for every citizen of every country.

3. Cynic_999

@Shadmeister

"

I do not think we have any issues with the government agencies acquiring this knowledge as their remit is focused on serious issues.

"

A very naïve view that assumes that their "serious issues" are in accord with your own. The most serious issue for any government department is firstly to ensure they remain in position, and as soon as that is ensured they work on the issue of how to get more money and power. The various wars (on crime, drugs, paedophiles, terrorists, health etc.) are just a means to an end. Increase the perceived threat or problem that your department is tasked with dealing with, and you automatically increase the funding and staffing levels, which increases your power. Information is therefore primarily used to increase the perception of the problem rather than solving it. The very last thing that the DoD wants is World peace!

4. Domino
      Holmes

Shadmeister: 'I'm relatively a hermit. So how the law enforcement arrived at the conclusion I was involved is astounding.'

This one hardly ever shows up on CCTV, he must be avoiding them and up to no good..

11. Triggerfish

Wi-Fi

I'd like to point out that good ol Boris has done a deal with a company to use the same Wi-Fi tracking shops use, to track everyone throughout the whole of London, full rollout is set for 2017.

I did email the Reg as thought it might be an interesting story, mebbe I will write a freelance piece.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wi-Fi

There's an App for that - Airplane mode (could be renamed Boris mode)

It seems the only ways to avoid tracking are:

a) death

b) wear a different number of legs, different wigs and a welders' mask for each outing (to blend in)

c) communicate by whispering and charades and eschew electronic devices of all sorts

d) Find alternatives to Facebook & Google - things like visiting real friends (can you trust they're not instruments of the state?)

e) Stay in one place at all times

12. Adrian Midgley 1

No surprise there

Is there.

13. Vimes

As always, people here - assuming they're in the UK - can write to their MP by going to writetothem.com and entering their postcode. The website will do the rest and find your MP for you, and in most cases will allow you to email them directly.

https://twitter.com/DavidDavisMP/status/704716608212770816

1. Mark 85

If doing that gets the same result as writing one's elected officials here in States... it's not worth the time or the electrons.

2. kryptonaut
      Flame

WriteToThem

I did that, got a boilerplate reply from Damian Hinds saying basically "Don't worry, there are foolproof safeguards in place, and it's all for your own good." I was disappointed, but hardly surprised.

Something this important should be put to a public referendum.

14. Chris G

UN, ECJ, ECHR.

I always feel that part of the reason for British gov's supporting the idea of a referendum to leave the EU is because Britain will have less reason to listen to the ECJ and ECHR. So I guess the next referendum will be to leave the UN?

Also the Gov' has never been comfortable with the notion of 'The People' communicating freely with each other; Marconi patented his radio system in 1896, 8 years later the British Gov' brought in the first 1904 wireless telegraphy act, they have been leery of electrical/ronic communications ever since.

R.I.P.A is just a continuation of keeping an eye on the great unwashed.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: UN, ECJ, ECHR.

The ECHR is not an EU body.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: UN, ECJ, ECHR.

That's very true (I'm trying to get my students to see the difference at the moment). However, it will not be difficult for the government to see a referendum result to leave the EU as a mandate to leave the Council of Europe (which, as can be seen regularly, very few people have heard of), <sarc>and throw off the shackles of those pesky Human Rights that are "undermining our sovereignty".

All that will be left is to join with those bastions of recognising State sovereignty, the USA, and all will be well ...(/sarc>

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The British government

is more likely to outlaw human rights :(

16. Archie Woodnuts

And now

for the Government's response.

But, but TERRORISTS! Won't somebody think of the children? Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. Make Britain safer. CRIME. Your best interests at heart. Oh look, a minor scandal that distracts you from this.

*passes legislation*

The utter bastards.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like