back to article Romanian ATM hacker exploits vulnerability in FENCE, escapes jail

A Romanian carder arrested for using malware to plunder US$217,000 (£152,164, A$290,888) from ATMs has cut their way out of a Bucharest prison and escaped custody. Renato Marius Tulli, 34, escaped Police Precinct 19 with Grosy Gostel, 38, held for robbery charges, sparking a city-wide hunt, local media report. Gostel has been …

1. Ole Juul

Hacking fence

Bit of a low level exploit if you ask me, but I suppose one needs to be pragmatic in these sorts of situations.

1. Mark 85

Re: Hacking fence

Well I guess this could be called a targeted attack... Now I wonder where they got the tool to cut the fence?

1. Oengus

Re: Hacking fence

possibly by "Social Engineering"

2. ksb1972

Really?

"There is little preventing the self-deleting malware from being used in other countries, experts say"

Really? U guess we're all f*cked then!

I would have thought keeping the ATMs secure from physical tampering would perhaps help.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I dont care what he did

I always root for the bad guy in prison escapes, too many a-team episodes as a child i guess.

1. usbac Silver badge

Re: I dont care what he did

Yeah, me too...

It must be a "stick'in it to the man" thing!

4. LewisRage

Exposed CD slot?

Why on earth are people able to load malware via an exposed CD slot? Surely thats trivial to make impossible? And perhaps they should be disabling autorun too...

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Cynic_999

Seems he hacked a backdoor into their system.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like