back to article Hardware – yes, hardware – is driving Hewlett Packard Enterprise's top line

Hewlett Packard Enterprise spends much of its time talking about hybrid IT taking over the world, but it was good old fashioned hardware - boosted by a $3.5bn buy - that made Q1 of fiscal year 2016 better than it might have been. In the period ended 31 January, the first full quarter of since HPE split with the PC and printing …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"exiting another 30,000 heads will likely help… in the short term at least"

But only in the short term.

In the long term, the collective knowledge held by those 30k will be irrecoverable, because a procedure on a piece of paper will never, ever replace human interaction and experience.

1. Mikel

Re: "exiting another 30,000 heads will likely help… in the short term at least"

I am sure they will find something amazing to do after they exit HPE. Engineers don't just stop engineering.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Wait til next quarter

Anyone else suspicious that all the inventory was transferred to the new division at $0 then sold for a big discount to get customers and booked as a massive profit.

1. Tom 13

Re: inventory was transferred to the new division

No. That would leave a paper trail and the stock holders of the old division could sue for fraud.

OTH: I will wait but not merely for next quarter. One quarter does not a recovery make.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh the Irony

Well, this morning all of us in the office received the triumphant email from Meg Whitman saying HPE had made great profits last quarter ($300m), including for the first time in 4 years the Enterprise Services arm

Then, this afternoon we all in HPE UK ES received an email saying 'Sorry, another 780 of you in the UK must leave before the end of April this year'.

Yes, 780 jobs must go between now and the end of April - it is beyond ironic for us to receive this news right after the news that HPE is doing so well.

Another shotgun to the guts for the ever decreasing number of loyal staff that are left. For me personally I have had enough and am out of here as soon as I can find another job.

I

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To put that into some context.....

....That's over a third of "permanent" ITO staff in the UK to go by 30th April.

Youll be able run the entire company out of the bloody garage they always bang on about in another 6 months.

4. Terafirma-NZ

That new Bar

Problem is there are only so many seats at that new bar and people standing around looks bad so I am afraid you all have to go.

I am aware these are all people and they have lives it sucks that they get hit with the brunt of HPE not being able to do things properly.

As fro being more agile and responsive, I got a quote for a system from Dell server/storage/network customer said they wanted HPE so I went to them it's been 6 months but I finally have a viable build and quote and all it took was HPE to be threatened with me taking the deal to HPE in another country to bring the price down to match Dell. Still workings on the finals of how support works but this HPE company is a complete mes to work with. Oh and yes HPE if Dell is running unsustainable business that's why they got a $50Bill loan to buy EMC. Your true problem far too much history at the top and not enough yound new modrn business people and ideas flowing.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Company splits in half at the end of last year....

...and "profits are down 47% compared to last year"...

Is it just me or would you not expect a company that has split in HALF to be down in profits by ~50% compared to when it hadn't?

I would like to hope that theregister had worked out the profit from the HPE business units and done the math....oh wait what am I saying....

1. BennyJ

Re: Company splits in half at the end of last year....

They restated their financial statements from last year so the decline is an apples to apples comparison. The Reg didn't need to do any maths, HPE did it for them

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Company splits in half at the end of last year....

"oh wait what am I saying...."

A load of crap - see the other comment.

C.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like