back to article Raspberry Pi 3: Four days old and already flying

The Raspberry Pi 3 is only four days old, but it can already fly, thanks to Spanish outfit Erle Robotics and its PXFmini autopilot shield. The diminutive €69 PXFmini - 31mm by 73mm and weighing just 15g - is specifically designed for use with the Pi Zero, in those cases where a seriously compact and light Linux autopilot is …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What are the civilian applications

Where are the weapon mounts? No hellfire missiles?

Spoilsports...

1. Aqua Marina
      Mushroom

Re: What are the civilian applications

Your comment triggerred a memory of a guy about a decade ago in New Zealand who was bankrupted by his government, when he tried to demonstrate how easy it would be to build a self-guided model aircraft, in the shape of a cruise missile, using off the shelf hardware for approx $5000.

I'm now wondering how much that $5K has come down by in the last decade.

1. Robert Moore

> I'm now wondering how much that $5K has come down by in the last decade.

Large RC glider kit, $150

4 micro Servos $100

PI 3 $35 (Less if you can find a PI Zero)

USB GPS $10

Gas motor $100 (Large, and over powered)

This drone board. $75 (Assuming it can be adapted to fixed wing flight)

Assorted misc pieces $150

Total $620

I am sure you could do cheaper if you shopped around.

What you use this drone for is none of my business.

1. Rich 11

It looks like there are already civilian counter-applications.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: civilian counter-applications

Best Nerf gun EVER!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Mushroom

What about the payload?

2. Vic

Your comment triggerred a memory of a guy about a decade ago in New Zealand who was bankrupted by his government, when he tried to demonstrate how easy it would be to build a self-guided model aircraft

Bruce Simpson. The way he was treated was shameful.

That said, if his interaction with the government was anything like his interaction[1] with me when I tried to buy his book, I'm not really surprised...

Vic.

[1] Or lack of it, to be more accurate.

2. Known Hero
    Unhappy

Still trying to find that one for under £25 you reported on the other day.

3. Oh Homer
    Meh

Great if we can ever actually buy one

Unlike the Pi Zero, which is fast approaching four months old, yet is still unavailable.

1. MrT

Re: Great if we can ever actually buy one

According to this article in MagPi #43, the RasPi Foundation is aiming for a steady 50k units per month for Pi Zero very soon...

The hen's teeth status is explained thus:

But, given the tradition for new Pi models to sell out at launch, why is it taking so long to ramp up production on the Zero? The answer lies in the board’s unique position, Eben reveals. “This isn’t quite the same as the other Pis, because the other Pis are made by RS and Farnell. We make these Pis, so you’re actually looking at a small company trying to scale.”

Well, that and eBay scalpers clearing the newsagents of MagPi #40. Subscribe to the treeware version and that issue is still available with the Pi Zero as a covermount .

1. Oh Homer
        Paris Hilton

Re: "We make these Pis"

Where Upton's definition of "we" is Sony's factory in Wales, apparently.

I find it barely credibly that a company like Sony cannot manage even one substantial run of Pi Zeros in over three months.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Availability of Zeros.

Keep an ear open for when the two UK stockists are getting stock (they tweet it and they will email you if you sign up).

When they go on sale they don't crash websites and sell out in seconds like Glastonbury tickets, they have shopify behind them and you can log on and buy one in leisurely fashion, it takes quite a while for the stock of the cheapest ones to sell out. Maybe 3 hours or so.

They've had four such occasions in the last 2 weeks when stock was available. In the UK it's really not hard to get one. Or 2 or 3.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I find it barely credibly that a company like Sony cannot manage even one substantial run of Pi Zeros in over three months."

Maybe you're already aware, but the factory has been building nothing but Pi 3 (top secretly) for several months. And (for better or worse) it still hasn't kept up with Pi 3 demand yet. Take your pick as to which one is more upsetting? Or are there better options?

Bummer, especially for the impatient.

1. Oh Homer
            Childcatcher

Re: Sony "building nothing but Pi 3"

Yes, that does seem to be the answer.

It's just a pity that the RPi Foundation felt the need to lie about the true circumstances. Yet again.

Arguably worse than the lie is the fact that they introduced a product knowing full well that they had no intentions of meeting demand for it, but instead chose to favour another, more expensive product that hadn't even been announced.

That's bordering on a bait and switch scam. It's also a huge disappointment for the Pi Zero's primary demographic (school children), who've apparently been cast aside in favour of "consumers" building HTPCs and the like.

1. James Hughes 1

A post pull of bollocks from start to finish. What Eben said is EXACTLY the truth,

It's quite clear that the Zero is not a particularly good device for the majority of school use cases., it needs extra cables, is much slower, has no inbuild GPIO connector, you need to add it with solder!

The Pi2 or 3 are MUCH better suited and should be schools first point of call, then use Zero's in the small number of cases where they are better suited.

They do intend to meet demand (which has been unexpectedly high), and its also worth noting that the Foundation funds all Zero manufactures, unlike the other models which are made by RS or Farnell, so there is also the issue of finding the funds to do so.

The Pi3, as a device that is clearly going to sell more than the Zero, needed production capacity to meet the demand up front. Once that demand i met, the production line can move over to Zero's.

It's pretty Simple stuff, not difficult to understand why it was done this way.

2. Martin an gof Silver badge

Arguably worse than the lie is the fact that they introduced a product knowing full well that they had no intentions of meeting demand for it

I don't think the RPF had any intention of lying about anything. They did try to anticipate demand for the Zero, but they had problems both with time and scaling production.

Eben gave a recorded interview (sorry I've no time to look for it now, but it's linked-to in the comments to one of their launch announcements on Monday) in which he said, if I remember correctly, that one of the reasons they weren't able to produce Zeros as quickly as they originally intended was that "a major manufacturer" of one of the components (he refused to say who or which component, but my impression was that it was something big like the memory - he did specifically say it was not Broadcom) were utterly incompetent and didn't supply what they had promised. In fact he got quite heated about it, while still refusing to name the company.

M.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

I vaguely remember the component supply comments too, and the only two interviews I've heard are those linked from the official Pi Blog, so shouldn't be too hard to find.

2. rurwin
            Gimp

They seem to have kept up with Pi3 demand here in the UK. RS still has 2,128 in stock.

1. druck Silver badge

I told my wife about it on Monday, one turned up on the doorstep on Wednesday!

She's bought me one of each variant of model B so far. The Pi3 is going to replace the Pi2 as my ssh gateway machine, and the others are going to shuffle down the chain of media players connected to TVs, leaving my original 256MB B available for electronic projects as it was originally intended - if I ever get the chance!

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: RS still has 2,128 in stock.

1285 in stock as I write this.

How big are 2128 (or 1285, your choice) Pis in "retail" boxes? Is it a wheelbarrow full? A Transit full? A furniture van full?

Inquiring minds need to be told.

I bet they don't weigh much.

1. Paul Smith

Re: RS still has 2,128 in stock.

About a wheel barrows worth by my reckoning, possibly closer to a hat box in official El Reg measures. My Pi 2 box (still waiting for my three to arrive) was 3.5x7.5x12cm or 315cm volume. 1285 of them would have a volume of 404775 cubic cm or a cube of 74cm per side (about 2'6" x 2'6" x 2'6").

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Re: RS now has 3488 in stock.

"1285 of them would have a volume of 404775 cubic cm or a cube of 74cm per side (about 2'6" x 2'6" x 2'6")."

Thank you. A cube, edge size 2 foot 6? Not many years ago that would have seemed almost infinitely improbable. Cup of tea anyone?

There's 3488 in stock at the moment so they must have had another delivery or two since my earlier post.

3. Montreal Sean

Sony has no real incentive to ramp up production of something they can't rootkit...

2. MAF
        Happy

Yup, that's what I did. Rather than feather the nest of someone profiteering on Ebay I bought a MagPi subscription & got a Zero and an excellent mag subscription for a similar price

2. Dwarf

I too wanted a zero as it would be ideal In one of my projects, but lack of availability made me go meh.

Then the Pi 3.0000 came among with a faster chip, so I'm betting that a pi zero v2 will come out instead. After all stocking two CPU types is probably not ideal for the foundation either.

I've now got 8 pi's doing different things. Just wish they would add more ram and add a sata port

3. Anonymous Tribble

I ordered my Pi Zero last Thursday and it arrived on Monday :-)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Great if we can ever actually buy one

Alright, that's enough. Behave yourself.

4. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Flame

Already FRYING

Considering the overheating problems some Pi 3 seem to have.

1. Oh Homer
      FAIL

Re: Already FRYING

Oops.

These overheating things are people who are deliberately stressing the processor with no heatsink.

They heat up to 82C at which point the the broadcom chip automatically throttles back the CPU clock and cools itself.. I was using one last night, occasionally checking the temperature, no heatsink and it stayed at 40-43C.

So if you are going to hammer it, it just needs a heatsink. No big deal.

1. Oh Homer
          Headmaster

The chips are actually overheating to 100C, but the sensor is inaccurately reporting the temperature as 80C, which is a serious flaw, even if the temperature itself is somehow deemed "acceptable".

Given that the target demographic is school children (or at least that was the foundation's original goal, which admittedly does seem to have been largely abandoned), I'm not sure that I'd agree with their definition of "acceptable", and I suspect that schools will share my scepticism.

It's especially disappointing that this may be the first SBC that absolutely requires an HSF, since being fanless is after all one of the SBC's biggest selling points, along with the fact that, until now, they drew very little power, and thus could realistically be operated by battery (something smaller than a car battery, that is).

1. James Hughes 1

Bollocks again. Get that agenda under control.

Other chips have been tested, and do not show the disparity between external an internal readings. It appears the one in that post is an outlier.

With greater power comes greater heat dissipation requirements, again, not difficult to understand. Just stick a heatsink on it if what you are doing gets it too hot - and all becomes well. You absolutely don't need a fan unless you are in very extreme conditions.

As for the abandoned school children, are you completely out of your bloody mind? Picademy's around the world, Pi's used for teaching from the ISS, funding for Scratch development.. You only have to Google to find hundreds of examples. Clearly you are too dumb to do that.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: hot water

James, purely in the interests of full disclosure etc, do you think you should disclose your affiliation when posting here on this topic? Mods, are you in the picture here and are you comfortable with it?

[I have very little sympathy with Old Homer - just want to keep the discussion clean and tidy and above board, prevent anyone getting into hot water, and I'm thinking that not everyone knows who you work for? Fair?]

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: hot water

I would agree - if you could force other commentards who obviously have affiliations they are not disclosing and related agendas they push to do the same. Can't be done, and if attempted would quickly turn into a bit of a mess.

James has never made a secret of his affiliations, and he has been a prolific poster for a very long time. He is one of that select band who actually posts under his real name, the same name he uses for posting in other places.

Granted some people are new in these parts and may not have come across him before, but it takes half a second to click and review his posting history.

I quite enjoy it when he starts "correcting" someone ;-)

M.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Get that agenda under control."

Oh the irony.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

It's especially disappointing that this may be the first SBC that absolutely requires an HSF, since being fanless is after all one of the SBC's biggest selling points, along with the fact that, until now, they drew very little power, and thus could realistically be operated by battery (something smaller than a car battery, that is).

I suspect that you are the type that is chronically disappointed.

The Pi3 doesn't need a fan, and for most uses doesn't even need a heatsink, I have no plans to fit a heatsink even. If you need a low power Pi then simply use one of the other models, or use a Pi3 and set the CPU clock back to 1GHz.

As for the mission of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, it is a not for profit with its declared mission in education and that is still the case. Separately Raspberry Pi Trading have the devices built and distributed by partner companies and turn their profit over the Raspberry Pi Foundation. The Foundation use this money to produce educational material, train educators and create dozens of schemes to encourage coding for kids. Which is how two Pis ended up getting through spaceflight testing and are now orbiting the planet on the ISS running code written by schoolkids.

All this information is out there on the web in blogs and news. It's really easy to find if you are not busy consuming a diet of FUD.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Frenchie Lad

Yawn

Rest assured not all is rosy in the Pi garden. Looks like not everyone is keeping up with the Pi 3. PiCorePlayer, lastest build, won't work 'cause the LAN is not recognised.

Re: Yawn

PiCorePlayer, lastest build, won't work 'cause the LAN is not recognised.

Oh the humanity !!

6. Oh Homer
    Headmaster

"Outlier"?

It's amusing watching the Broadcom shills Pi apologists migrate like a herd of sheep over from the Pi forums, to valiantly defend their favourite consumer toy with empty rhetoric.

Well, look on the bright side, at least they'll have something to keep them warm next winter.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon