back to article XMA shutters its City pad, will service London from St Albans

XMA is to shutter its London offices because too few staff were based there to justify the relatively expensive lease. The office in the heart of the City, established in September 2012 and initially run by former BT Engage exec Chris Leah, was set up to win over more corporate customers and at one point housed upwards of 20 …

1. Carl W
    WTF?

"major hub inside the M25"

But St Albans is outside the M25.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: "major hub inside the M25"

Their office is JUST inside the M25 at 7 Handley Page Way, off Watling Street.

1. smudge
        Headmaster

St Albans post code, for sure - but that's Colney Street!

1. TRT Silver badge

They quote their address as:-

St Albans Office

7 Handley Page Way

Old Parkbury Lane

Colney Street

St Albans

AL2 2DQ

Don't get into a nit-picking contest over this, please. It got very nasty a few weeks ago in the local newspaper over some address or other being in Watford or Three Rivers. (It was Watford, because that was their postal town - the fact that a Three Rivers lorry empties their bins had nothing to do with anything!)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I agree with that decision

Offices inside london ARE stupidly expensive. I wonder when that racket will hollow out.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: I wonder when that racket will hollow out?

When you can get 10Gbs fibre-to-your-headquarters in the Outer Hebrides.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Happy

Considering the rent differential I guess you could pay for your own personal link in a couple of years.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

When you can get 10Gbs fibre-to-your-headquarters in the Outer Hebrides.

No need - I have access to high speed satcomms with low enough latency to even make phone calls possible. I can have a link up in 30 minutes after arrival, the only delay is proper fittings for the dish :).

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

"When you can get 10Gbs fibre-to-your-headquarters in the Outer Hebrides."

You can get it now. Getting it for a reasonable proce is another matter.

BT holds the monopoly and openreach can charge what they like - so they do.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: I agree with that decision

Offices inside london ARE stupidly expensive.

So are offices in St.Albans, as is housing...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

London is a god forsaken shithole

Expensive, dirty and unfinished.

Have you thought of living further North. It's lovely up here.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: London is a god forsaken shithole

It seems that having a premises within the M25 carries major kudos. I'm not a procurement manager, but it seems like "being within the M25" means bugger all when choosing a supplier - if I need them to get to me in London within 2 hours or 1 hour or 15 minutes, I'd write that into the contract and let them sort that bit out under threat of penalty.

Seems to me anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

But not in Brum

1. TRT Silver badge

I didn't see all of those... I thought when he went to the city it was Birmingham. Was London presented as some sort of Mecca in that show? I'd have thought that for a little car like Brum, London traffic would be terrifying.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like