back to article Chrome 49 goes live as Google pays bug mercs $51k to patch 26 holes

Google has released Chrome version 49, closing 26 bugs and shelling out US$51,000 to support bug hunters. Now in Chrome's stable channel, the new version sports eight high and five medium severity fixes. Chrome test engineer Krishna Govind says Google paid US$36,500 (£33,334, A$49,671) for the bug bounty reports in the now …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone else having problems with the official Chrome repository for Debian/Ubuntu? It fails to apt-get

1. Mint Sauce

Yes in Mint in this case though. I removed the source and put a hold on the current version. I only use it for Netflix anyway & don't do any other web surfing with it, so figured I probably don't really need to update it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

I downloaded the deb file and installed it using these instructions. Am now on Version 49.0.2623.75 beta (64-bit)

3. mdava

Yes, me too. Simple fix is here with an explanation.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why?

Serious question: How come there continue to be so many serious bugs in Chrome? It's starting to make IE look like a secure browser.

Is Chrome just being targeted more for the bounties?

1. GoingGoingGone

Re: Why?

Chrome development is Open Source. All you have to do is submit dodgy code in the first place hoping it doesn't get caught and later, under a different ID (or an chummy criminal pal), the fix for the bug you created in the first place. The bigger the initial cock-up the more handsome the latter reward. Win-win situation, except for the user that is. You can even make a few extra bob -or a lot of them- by selling the exploit in the black market in between.

3. Robert Helpmann??
    FAIL

Exchange Rate?

I cannot access my email with this right now so I cannot send this as a correction, but this is the second article I have read recently on this site that completely screws up the exchange rates when listing the cost of one thing or another. There are five sets of figures listed which use four different sets of conversions, some of which are... implausible. Take these two sets for the sake of comparison:

US$36,500 £33,334 A$49,671

US$37,500 £34,260 A$26,469

The numbers, as they say, speak for themselves.

4. Dave Lawton
    FAIL

Ditched for Linux ?

My Chrome Version 48.0.2564.109 on Kubuntu 14.04 now announces on start-up that no more updates will be available.

1. mdava

Re: Ditched for Linux ?

Only for 32 bit systems. Apparently this was announced ages ago, although I didn't notice until Chrome started flashing messages at me.

I've updated to a 64 bit install, not really sure why I originally went with 32?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like