back to article NASA compiles Scott Kelly space photo album

NASA has compiled an impressive album of astronaut Scott Kelly's best images grabbed during his 340-day stay aboard the orbiting outpost, which ended earlier this week when he and fellow One-Year mission participant Mikhail Kornienko returned to terra firma. Here are half a dozen snaps which caught our eye, with Kelly's …

1. James 51
    Thumb Up

It must be tricky to take good shots on the ISS. Exposure must an issue along with the difficultly with keeping steady in zero g. Not to mention what accidentally pointing it at the sun would do to it.

2. 2460 Something
    Thumb Up

Wow. Those are some very impressive snaps. Do they take them with professional gear or just their personal stuff?

Currently have one of Rosetta's snaps (67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko) as my desktop background. That Bahamas one looks good for a stressful day though!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Professional gear - the cost of getting 1Kg of cheap camera lens into orbit is the same as 1Kg of professional gear! The retail cost difference is a rounding error.

Onboard the ISS, US use Nikon D4, Russia D3 dSLRs. Sony, Panasonic and Canon cover video duties.

For handheld photography outside the ISS, a modified Nikon D2X is used.

You can often see an arsenal of dSLRs and big lenses fixed (velcro?) to the the walls in interior photographs of the ISS. ThinkPads are also easy to spot.

There was a documentary made with IMAX film onboard the ISS over a decade ago. Because IMAX is chemical film and not a digital format, the film had to be returned to Earth fairly promptly, so that it wouldn't record too many cosmic rays.

3. Graham Marsden
    Coat

This is me...

... in the Observation Dome.

This is me working on the remote arm.

This is me space walking.

This is that lovely couple from Alpha Centauri.

This is the side of the ISS

This is the front of the ISS

This is the front of the ISS but you can see a bit of the side.

This is the Spanish Inquisition...

[DAHN DAAAAAAHNNNNN!]

1. 2460 Something

Re: This is me...

Brilliant. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This is me...

In space, nobody can hear you scream...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> #MilkyWay. You're old, dusty, gassy and warped.

I know THAT feeling....

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

As long as there is gas in there, it's not old.

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Pah, this is nothing - we went to Hemel Hempstead last year!

No, seriously - what I wouldn't give to be able to take a few pictures like that...

6. CCCP
    Joke

In the first photo...

...they're clearly holding their breath.

Are they short on air up there?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like