back to article Turkish hacker pleads guilty to $55m maniac global ATM heist

The hacker behind an attack on the US banking sector that caused $55m in damages has pleaded guilty – and faces more than 57 years in prison. Turkish citizen Ercan Findikoglu, 34, admitted his role in an international syndicate including charges of computer intrusion conspiracy, bank fraud, and effecting transactions using …

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Headmaster

Spellchecking budget cut again?

Turkish hacker pleds guilty

1. Boothy

Re: Spellchecking budget cut again?

Also why is 'Tips and corrections' missing on the mobile Reg page?

(And no option to add icons on the mobile forums either?)

1. e^iπ+1=0

... "missing on the mobile Reg page?"

The mobile Reg page is unloved by the maintainers.

A couple of years ago I asked for links from the mobile Reg page to 'Channel' articles to point to the mobile page. This got fixed in a few days, then broken again:

http://m.forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2014/08/08/ei10_Mobile_site_El_Chan_links_broken/

2. To Mars in Man Bras!
      Headmaster

..and proof-reading budget, by the looks of things.

*"...Findikoglu ducked police until he was arrested December 2013 in Frankfurt, Germany and battled extradition until last year, pleading not guilty in June...."

* Battled extradition to where?

* Where is the trial taking place?

It's never actually mentioned in the article.

[SPOILER ALERT: OK. We know that the answer is USA, as they now rule the world and have the right to try anyone's citizens for any crimes committed anywhere –but still, in the interests of cogency, it would be nice to have been told].

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

I'll add my 2 cents (exchange rates may vary) as I cannot access email at this time:

$10m (£7.1m, A$13.7m) in an epic 15,000-strong withdrawal spree across 18 countries.

In December 2012 the group pulled some U$5m (£7.1m, A$6.8m)...

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

21st century bank heist

Err... No.

21st century my a**e.

This was a standard ATM cloned card fraud using the magnetic stripe. Cards were issued by banks servicing individuals and organizations stuck in the 1990-es.

The only "new addition" is removing limits instead of targeting the debit cards of UAE cittizens which had no limits to start off with.

That as last century as it can get and then some.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a pled!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Plead will someone fix the headline.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How do you pled?

Badly, your honour.

6. frank ly

Sighs

I'm getting bored with these pledestrian comments.

1. Ralph the Wonder Llama
      Meh

Re: Sighs

Pledant.

1. earl grey
        Trollface

Re: Sighs

What a bunch of plederasts...

7. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

In the place of guns and masks, this cybercrime organisation used laptops and the internet.

Hmm... seems like progress to me. Almost civilised.

Not approving of the crime, just observing that, in this kind of heist, at least no innocent bystanders get scared shitless, shot or killed.

Robbery will always happen until/unless we evolve to a post-scarcity society where money is irrelevant and anybody can have any possessions they desire with no effort required.

But as we're a long way from that, in the meantime well hey, it's an improvement if nobody dies in the process.

Almost sounds like the US attorney would have preferred the gang marched into New York banks with guns waving...

1. Boothy

Re: In the place of guns and masks, this cybercrime organisation used laptops and the internet.

Quote: "this cybercrime organisation used laptops and the internet,"

I'm curious to know what the other cybercrime organisations are using, if it's not laptops and the internet? As they seem to be implying this is unusual behaviour for cyber criminals!

2. emmanuel goldstein

Re: In the place of guns and masks, this cybercrime organisation used laptops and the internet.

I totally agree with the tone of the OP's comment. And, let's not forget, there is activity going on *inside* the banking sector, and financial markets in general, that is just as deserving of some lengthy prison time.

3. Florida1920
      Headmaster

Almost sounds like the US attorney would have preferred the gang marched into New York banks with guns waving...

Any fool know that without photos it didn't happen.

1. earl grey
        Facepalm

it would have been better with arpanet, dumb terminals, and a 300 baud modem...

8. x 7

I'm not convinced of the linguistic correctness of "pled guilty" either. Surely that should be "pleaded guilty"?

1. Cynical Observer
      Headmaster

It clanged on the senses when first read.

According to the OED (a good old fashioned paper version) it's a variant with N Amreican, Scottish or dialect origins.

So not proper En I'm not going to go there! :-D

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

....?

"..Amreican.." ?

I suspect that was done on purpose ^_^

2. x 7

"So not proper En I'm not going to go there! :-D"

In that case presumably Lowland Scots origin rather than English. Its legally a different language. Or at least the European Union says it is..........

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

pledded?

9. Mystic Megabyte
    WTF?

um!

"He would have faced up to 247½ years in prison if found guilty during the extradition process."

How does that work? Try him in absentia before extradition?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Coat

Re: um!

Nah, keep him on expensive life support until the sentence is served.

Mine's the one with the Jasper Fforde in the pocket, ta.

10. Cynic_999

Is this credible?

The article states:-

"

... stole US$40 million (£28.4 million, A$54.8 million) through an eye-watering 36,000 ATM transactions ...

"

Which works out at an average withdrawal of almost £790 per ATM transaction. You could not do that with cloned cards, and if it was by hacking the ATM firmware, you'd have thought it would have been detected and stopped long before that many hacks. It also amount to nearly 100 transactions per day for a full year.

11. ecofeco Silver badge

Burning Chrome

Damn cyberpunks!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like