back to article Airwave drops lawsuit against Home Office over EE contract win

Airwave will no longer be pursuing legal action against the Home Office over its decision to award part of a chunk of its Emergency Services Network contract to EE. A spokesman for Motorola said: "We can confirm that all disputes have now been settled and all litigation will be dropped." In December last year EE won part of …

1. Refugee from Windows

Just wait and see

EE are now owned by BT. We all know that company's reputation for providing services in out of the way places.

I'll guess they'll just sit back now and see what happens. Piggybacking the ESN on the public network? Well I've experience of that when they're a spike in demand they just fail to work, so I'm sure Motorola have plans to provide an alternative network "off the shelf".

1. Phil W

Re: Just wait and see

"EE are now owned by BT. We all know that company's reputation for providing services in out of the way places."

You mean exceptionally good? For broadband there are problems sure, but BT do a surprisingly good job of maintaining the ageing copper voice network in some extremely remote locations.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

That's strange. Openreach fails to change out most peoples home lines when the wind catches them on threat of "a £120 fee". Apparently if the cable is trailing on the floor "the line reads good from here, must be the batteries in your handset".

1. Wolfclaw
          Gimp

I won't hear a bad word against Open Reich, when their phone cable came away from my house and risked whipping my car for fun in high winds, it only took them 7hrs to send out 4 guys to cut the cable at the pole and one email threatening legal action for any damage done to my car. When they said they would forward the invoice, I said good luck, as I am a VM customer !

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Phil W,

You forgot the <sarc> tags.

I hope, because experience of friends say otherwise.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

@ivan 4

One of my sisters-in-law lives in the wilds of Wales and when her BT phone (and the neighbours') went out in the depth of winter it took 10 days to repair, which given the non-existent mobile coverage there meant she was incommunicado for the duration. She's 17 miles from the nearest exchange.

2. Otto is a bear.

Optional Networks

Well, Motorola don't have one of their own, so they will be reliant on either Vodaphone who have the C&W network which goes past most important public service sites, or Virgin, which also has a large network from its cable activities. There are a couple of other possibilities together with a set of SME alliances.

The problem is that there will still be places Openreach will supply the last mile.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Optional Networks

"Well, Motorola don't have one of their own"

They own Airwave, which is the incumbent network for blue-lighters. Does that not count as an optional network?

3. tin 2

Interesting. I used to* make it a hard and fast policy not to deal with any organisation that sues (or lodges FOI requests with) my organisation.

Why on earth would I want to do business with any company that thinks wasting my organisations time & energy by having a hissy fit is appropriate behaviour?

and... BT... hmm good luck with that.

* not in that line of work any more thank goodness.

4. Tromos

Putting down the lawyers.

Despite everything, I think they should be given as much consideration as extended to animals and the putting down to be carried out humanely.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like