back to article Become an Andre Previn in your time: DevOps for star conductors

When we talk about "full stack" software, we are most commonly talking about the disciplines and elements (and their associated competencies) that span the complete smokestack of software application development as we typically define it. Laurence Gellert's well-composed piece in 2012 nicely clarified this stack as the strata …

1. Roger Varley

Nice One

+1 for the aged Morcambe & Wise reference

1. yoganmahew

Re: Nice One

Andrew...

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Well, I saw one in the title only to be disappointed by the text. Can I have my money back? ;-)

Would you go to an IT conference run by Eric & Ernie?

1. BebopWeBop

Well if I had to go to one, Eric & Ernie might do a better job - what commercial interest does the reg have in devops?

2. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

"I'm deploying ALL the right services...

... but not necessarily in the right order!"

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

That's one of the problems with DevOps - and one of the reasons why the brisk OpsDev approach is so much better.

4. Steve Button Silver badge
    Trollface

DevOps all the things.

I'm DevOps'd to the max so I know what I'm talking about here. As long as you are automating "all the things" then you are doing it right. It says so on my LinkedIN profile, and recruiters say I can charge a premium for it, so it must be so.

If you aren't sure you are doing it right, I can come and speak at your conference. For a hefty fee of course.

Oh, I also qualify as the "Full Stack Exchange" developer you mention at the start.

Bong!?

5. Lysenko

smokestack of software application development

The smokestack is there to dissipate the noxious fumes when your rushed (agile, continuous delivery) and inadequately tested (automated unit tests only) project crashes and burns for the fiftieth time I presume?

6. s. pam Silver badge
    Facepalm

Its PREVIN, Andre PREVIN who is the Conductor.

FFS get it right El Reg, you’re better than that!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Its PREVIN, Andre PREVIN who is the Conductor.

Yes, we are s.pam ....

Maybe a bit obscure now, but this a reference to the classic Morecambe and Wise Andrew Previn sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7GeKLE0x3s

2. BoldMan

Whoooosh!

3. Spod

It's a Morecambe and Wise reference. They called him Andrew Preview.

A quick google would have told you that, FFS ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: They called him Andrew Preview.

Don't they teach young people anything this last few decades?

7. Spod

Management comedians

One problem is that DevOps is becoming a bit like photography or web-site creation - just about everybody thinks they know how to do it, but most people's attempts are mediocre at best, and even fewer understand what it takes to do a good, consistent, professional job.

In essence, DevOps has been around for years, but it's only recently that it has been given a name and more formal definition. That has sparked a host of ideas and approaches, many of which conflict. At the same time, there's a vast slew of new tools available, each claiming to make life easier; but mixing the wrong set of tools can quickly create a system of unbelievable complexity, or force teams to work in counter-productive ways.

DevOps probably should be a stack, but in practice it's often a pile - that pile too often being a mixture of legacy systems, new and untested DevOps tools, hastily implemented automated testing and maybe a kludged attempt at continuous delivery.

If management isn't convinced of the need for proper investment in DevOps then it's a potential recipe for disaster. Becoming an Andrew Preview is only really possible if you have the full support of the management comedians around you ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Management comedians

"DevOps has been around for years, but it's only recently that it has been given a name and more formal definition"

You forgot the most important one: only recently has it become a candidate for venture capital funding.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Management comedians

And there was I thinking it was just the latest meaningless buzzphrase you put on your CV to get past the HR droid sifting the applications ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like