back to article Secret UN report finds against controversial WIPO chief

UN investigators have delivered their report into allegations of illegal behaviour at the World Intellectual Property Organisation. The report remains secret but Register sources in Geneva suggest it has come down heavily against WIPO's director general Francis Gurry. The probe is being carried out by the UN's Organisation of …

1. David Roberts
    Trollface

Above the law

Yet another organisation in the global gravy train with massive income and no real accountability.

Hmmm......FIFA........ ICANNN........Olympic committee.........

What we need is some kind of World Police!

Fuck yeah!!

1. Dan Wilkie

Re: Above the law

If I've learned anything from films that are "based on a true story" - then it's that you don't need to worry. Contrary to everyone belief that Interpol are just an intelligence sharing arm, it's actually fully populated by ex special forces types who autonomously investigate crimes all over the world, usually ending in shootouts and occasionally with air strikes. They're like a less grimdark version of Games Workshops Inquisition.

No doubt they'll be dealing with this as we speak.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Above the law ..... when smarter enabled

Methinks nowadays, Dan Wilkie, more than just a few thought to be crimes are way beyond the normal comprehension of ex special forces types and thus are such presumed criminals immunised against disruption and protected against prosecution, and that can extend to non-discovery of any supposed or proposed wrong doing.

Such is the nature of emerging beasts in cyber fields of endeavour and exploitation .... in a battle free zone.

IT is a whole new orderly world order to discover and realise one is not alone and following brighter pathfinders to goals which they have already been secured and prepared for future population[s]

2. Adrian 4
    Black Helicopters

Whistleblowing

The USA, of course, can be relied on to protect whistleblowers and ensure their complaints are investigated fairly, openly and without prejudice. As we see in the examples of Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whistleblowing

The USA President Obama, of course, can be relied on to protect whistleblowers and ensure their complaints are investigated fairly, openly and without prejudice. As we see in the examples of his Executive Orders issued against Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden.

Fixed it for 'ya, @Adrian 4.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

Another bloody arsehole

who obviously thinks that DG means "Designated God".

Icon represents the what's under the stake he should be tied to.

4. Wommit
    Joke

Oh my goodness!!!!! Corruption in high places!!!! I am really shocked!!!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I may say

I suggest you should have refrained from mentioning the location of your source(s). It's a small world and inferences can be easily made which would be prejudicial to your source(s).

I speak without specific knowledge of this particular case.

1. Kane
      Thumb Up

Re: If I may say

"I speak without specific knowledge of this particular case."

Nudge nudge, wink wink!

6. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Another international body puppet of the USA

Gurry is an Australian national - the fourth and current Director General of the World Intellectual Property Organization. He's concurrently Secretary-General of the International Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants.

At 64 he's nearly ready for the golden retirement handshake but he is standing for a second 6-year appointment to the post of Director General which the WIPO Coordination Committee will decide in Geneva, Switzerland, between 2014 March 6 – 7 on a final selection.

Naturally the Americans are all worked up about the DPRK technology transfer and this could damage Gurry's chances.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

European Patent Office (EPO) fired off legal threats to tech blogger

Nov 2015: European Patent Office fires up lawyers over claims of cosy love-in with Microsoft

8. Chris G

J.Edgar Hoover

Would have admired this man!

9. All names Taken
    Alien

Tsk

I am surprised that you are surprised.

Don't believe all of that middle class morality and meritocracy inbuilt in your social conditioning and education particularly during early years development. Your world depends upon privilege and not merit no?

Why, you should really start to worry when the state takes the attentions of both parents away and takes the child away for even more intense social conditioning away from the parents.

(Oops, they do?)

Well pardon me (?) no wonder you are surprised?

10. Mark 85

Meeting the Stonewall

I suppose the we should expect openness from an UN organization? How about openness from our own governments first? They all just seem to be "good ol' boy" networks that line pockets and laugh about the stuff they've pulled in the quest for power.

If we can't get openness, can we nuke from space? Please.

11. johnwerneken

intellectual property is a crime against humanity

The concept that invention earns the rights to more than first-mover sales is absurd, but then so is the idea of either a world government or the united "nations"

12. goldcd

Gurry?

Genuinely I'd never heard of him before.

Maybe my fault.

Certainly sounds like we need to have his every action reported and compiled in some detail to assist his removal - and ensure he isn't replaced with a similar puppet.

Might a suggest the tag for this journalistic process of "de-Gurry-or-type"

13. Potemkine Silver badge
    Flame

as usual

At a certain level you're not called a petty thief but a successful businessman.

Mr Gurry seems to be a very successful businessman.

14. Bonzo_red

Correction

Slight correction - the US committee hearing is on the 24th

15. Tom 13

The UN

An organization that seems to have been created solely for the purpose of making any corruption you've found in your national government a piddling affair not worthy of any real concern.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like