back to article Uber is bombarding us with painfully probing subpoenas, cries Lyft

Lyft has asked a judge to block taxi app rival Uber from using the courts to cunningly extract information about its operations. In a filing [PDF] to the Northern California District Court, Lyft asks that Uber be stopped from getting any further internal memos and other details using subpoenas. Uber filed the subpoenas while …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

You're slipping, El Reg!

"Uber turned its focus to Lyft and the possibility that an employee at its rival had improperly accessed the Uber database and lifted its records."

Not Lyft-ed?

1. John Crisp

Re: You're slipping, El Reg!

And they missed

Uber 'Shirt Lyfters' too :-)

A definte case of backdooring Lyft...

Think I'll get another beer before I grab my coat

2. x 7

painful probes? Isn't that what aliens do to abductees?

3. Roq D. Kasba

Disruptive Business Model

The true face of the Sharing Economy. Disruptive Technology bolstered by very very old school courtroom abuse and bullying.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Disruptive Business Model

Yep. Uber are, imo, a stunning example of Right Time, Right Place, Wrong Company. With easy, mobile Internet access and the technology to automate hand-off of requests for a service, applying that to taxis is all but inevitable. As Charles Fort said: "It's Steam Engine Time". I.e. when the appropriate technological basis and environment exists, some "inventions" just grow out of that environment almost inevitably.

The idea of Uber isn't original. Many have talked about such a thing long before Uber came to be. But it is the right time for this idea. I just think it's deeply unfortunate that a company as unpleasant as Uber are the ones who win the business lottery to get it.

Question - can a driver for Uber also be a driver for Lyft? Or are there clauses in the employment contract that forbid this?

1. Hugh McIntyre

RE: "can a driver for Uber also be a driver for Lyft? Or are there clauses in the employment contract that forbid this"

Lots of drivers seem to drive for both Uber and Lyft.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The idea of Uber isn't original. Many have talked about such a thing long before Uber came to be."

Not sure about the rest of the world, but here in the UK we've had "private hire" for many, many years. It's quite innovative. You make a phone call to a private hire company, they locate the nearest available private hire vehicle and dispatch it to your location. All very clever, innovative, possibly even disruptive to actual taxi companies. The only thing "innovative" about Uber is the mobile phone app. At least one of our local private hire companies were using a mobile app before I'f heard of Uber.

At least 10 years ago, one of our customers was a private hire company. They had vehicle tracking on computer and other clever stuff to get the car to the customers as quickly and efficiently as possible.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Sharing economy, right. If your business model is any good, you should be able to ward off competitors by offering an attractive product at an attractive price.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>If your business model is any good, you should be able to ward off competitors by offering an attractive product at an attractive price.

That's rather quaint.

5. Snowy Silver badge
    Coat

America land of the free...

Why compete when you can litigate your competition out of the market place!

1. Tom 13

Re: America land of the free...

You should note that Uber did compete that way until the first lawyer was fired at it. Now they're just firing back using the same methodology.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Leaving trails of slime behind them everywhere they go...

The first has a clear history of being a slim-ball corporation run by petulant children. Same sort of full-diaper stench is now coming off of the other.

Perhaps their role is simply to make corporations like Monsanto look like saints in comparison.

7. bigtimehustler

I guess the best solution to this issue is, consider if the US is the best place to home your startup business. It used to be a given that a tech startup should be there. These days, if im going to compete with a US company, id much rather be in the UK doing it.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Holmes

Ah the UK

petri dish to the world ....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like