back to article Google opens Cloud Vision API beta, world + dog asked to try it

Google has released a beta of its Cloud Vision API, allowing developers to submit images to its machine learning models for automated content analysis. Following a limited preview release in early December, during which Google claimed thousands of companies used the API, generating millions of requests for image annotations, …

1. ratfox
    Trollface

Does it detect gorillas?

1. Warm Braw

... or recognise a corporation tax return?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent - let me build some company processes around it and then have them EOL it with a month or two notice when their ADD has kicked in and see another shiny object.

Fuck Google for anything except search - I will never depend on anything they create or buy again.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Yep, flashes in the pan like Gmail, Drive, Docs, Maps, Android, etc are dead to me.

Actually, I do sympathise - for every Gmail there's at least one Wave or Buzz...

3. Mark 85

Google says its Cloud Vision API "is our first step on the journey to enable applications to see, hear and make information in the world more useful."

".. and make information in the world more useful to us in our efforts to find new ways to sell you to advertisers."

TFTFT -- There Fixed That For Them

1. Dr. Mouse

I agree, they are not in this for idealistic reasons. All their other products are there to support ads, in one way or another.

However, you cannot deny that this is pretty cool. Submit an image and it can tell (roughly, with obvious capacity for error) what it is. It's something which has always been a challenge for computers, and now it's available to everyone (for a small fee).

4. GrapeBunch

OC Rap

Since google's business model is so different from that of a conventional software company, I wonder how good their OCR is. I guess messy slanted handwriting with the page unsquare and skew relative to the photo, would be the litmus test. Frankly, with conventional software, a few years ago, I didn't always leave happy even from a double-spaced typescript, much less a handwritten tax return from 1978.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like