back to article Five Eyes nations must purge terrorists from the web, says Theresa May

UK Home Secretary Theresa May has declared that Britain's partners in the Five Eyes surveillance alliance should copy Blighty's online counter-terrorism policy – and force service providers to help purge “extremist messages” when they appear on the web. Along with stepping up their surveillance, intelligence, and information …

1. Alister
    Facepalm

Five Eyes nations must purge terrorists from the web, says Theresa May

Oh, Ok then Theresa, we'll get right on that...

Um, any idea how we're going to do that?

No, didn't think so.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Five Eyes nations must purge terrorists from the web, says Theresa May

Could start with inventing a new logo. Maybe something from ancient Rome, with an axe and a bundle of sticks.

1. Preston Munchensonton
        Coat

Speaking of logos, it's only a matter of time before the swastika makes a comeback.

1. Synonymous Howard

By 'swastika' I think you mean the Nazi 'Hakenkreuz' version and hopefully not the Mesopotamian / Indian versions?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
            Happy

Re: Synonymous Howard Re: Five Eyes nations must purge terrorists from the web, says Theresa May

".....not the Mesopotamian / Indian versions?" LOL, you really think the OP actually knows the difference?

1. Preston Munchensonton
              Mushroom

Re: Synonymous Howard Five Eyes nations must purge terrorists from the web, says Theresa May

LOL, you really think the OP actually knows the difference?

I called it a swastika because I do understand that the Nazis didn't originate the symbol. In any case, they reappropriated it for their own use and, yes, I suspect someone like Theresa May to reuse it in the future.

Generally, anyone seeing the symbol today would associate it with the Nazi. Hence is the nature of humor, jackass.

2. Swiss Anton

Surely if this logo is going to be something from ancient Rome, wouldn't a fiddle and a bundle of sticks (with some kindling) be more appropriate.

2. Unep Eurobats
      Windows

First time I've heard of Five Eyes. Have I not been paying attention or did they just invent it?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>First time I've heard of Five Eyes. Have I not been paying attention or did they just invent it?

Didn't pay much attention to all the Snowden news huh? Its ok the government will take care of you. Don't fret about a thing. Its all for your safety.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Alien

First time I've heard of Five Eyes. Have I not been paying attention or did they just invent it?

Indeed. We just need two additional eyes and we have the Beast being ridden by That Lady of Babylon. It's biblical.

The "five (iery) eyes" are I guess: US, UK and C&A, as well NZ and AUS

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Have I not been paying attention or did they just invent it?"

You've not been paying attention.

3. MyffyW Silver badge

"England prevails!" says Theresa "Lewis Prothero" May

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, let's purge "extremist" messages from the internet. In advance, please tell us what "extremist" means.

Historical examples of what was once thought of as extremists:

-Protestant reformists

-Tolerance of Catholic worship

-Abolitionists

-Suffragettes

-Parliamentary supremists

-Universal education activists

(Personally, I'm not going to say that humanity has advanced to the point where it's impossible that something that sounds "extreme" today might not be embraced by our descendants 2-3 generations down the line)

1. h4rm0ny

Particularly alarming is when she states that they want to protect us not just from "violent extremism", but also from "non-violent extremism". What exactly is "non-violent extremism"? Opinions? Strikes? Protest marches?

I get that Theresa May will protect me from "terrorists". But who will protect me from Theresa May.

5. Fat Northerner

I'll believe it when they stop blacklisting their own loyal citizens, for simply pointing out the obvious, because it endangers to careers of connected families with arts degrees who went to the right schools.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

I think she should concentrate on killing bees and wasps ...

... they kill more people in the UK than terrorists, and she is the HOME secretary.

1. Mephistro
      Coat

Re: I think she should concentrate on killing bees and wasps ...

"... they kill more people in the UK than terrorists, and she is the HOME secretary."

Yes, politicians are really dangerous beasts!

Oh, wait... sorry, you meant the bees and wasps, didn't you?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I want a new web, but this time the government isn't invited.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Quantum Leaping Communications

I want a new web, but this time the government isn't invited. .... Anonymous Coward

Where do you think you are here, Anonymous Coward? In the Now with the Know ‽ .

2. MyffyW Silver badge

@AC empathise, but big government have been behind it since it's earliest days. Best thing we can do is be vigilant, be creative and hold the blighters to account.

3. banalyzer

It's OK AC, they said all terrorists, no more .gov.uk either by my reckoning

4. 's water music

Mm mm, oh no she didn't

Although if she was specifically trying to troll el reg she needed to get in something about OS wars.

I keep wondering if she isn't going to start mouthing "help me" during her speeches at some point

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem with reporting on idiots...

... is that you give them the oxygen of publicity.

1. BurnT'offering

Re: The problem with reporting on idiots...

The problem with not reporting on politicians is - backroom dodgy deals

6. chivo243 Silver badge

Who decides

what's bad n'kay?

Really, which puritanical no-life gets to play Church Lady?

1. Mark 85

Re: Who decides

I doubt that it's any corporate pulling these strings as there is profit for them somewhere in this mess... so yes... who decides on who decides what's bad?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can someone please get her "Internet for dummies"?

Here's a radical idea why don't we get out the middle east and stop fucking around then they would have no reason to put hate on the internet?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

too late, they still would cause they are haters

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems to me most extremist material on the web

is pushed by the Conservative party ...

9. Gis Bun

Easier said than done.

10. Anonymous Blowhard

"Theresa May has declared that the UK's partners in the Five Eyes surveillance alliance should copy Britain's online counter-terrorism policy and force service providers to help purge “extremist messages” when they appear on the web."

Does that include hers?

11. Mephistro
    Flame

...must purge terrorists from the web...

Don't forget to purge them also from the phone lines, public transport and walkways.

One day we'll reach a point when stupid lawmaking like this will have crippled the Web -and Society- so severely that it gets almost unusable by the average citizen. Meanwhile, the terrorists will have wised up and use some of the myriad thechniques traditionally employed to hide comms contents or comms origin from prying eyes, E.G codewords, encryption, steganography, forged/spoofed credentials...

But I'm afraid that the terrorists are not the target of this kind of measures.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ...must purge terrorists from the web...

Fax machine and a forgotten language

1. Laura Kerr

Re: ...must purge terrorists from the web...

Bring back Fidonet.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Bring back Fidonet.

Hmm... I do not quite remember something about what the Italian authorities did to their indigenous fidonet in the (erm) 90's ...

ah ... something like this here:

http://seclists.org/interesting-people/1994/May/64

1. Laura Kerr

I remember that - caused quite a stir in ENET.SYSOP, IIRC. I was there at the time. It was about the time the BBS licensing scheme was being bandied about in the UK.

But any sensible trrrist, or anyone who didn't want to be snooped on would use burner phones with their numbers in an encrypted nodelist. Monitor and block that, you fat five-eyed gits!

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Burner phones and poor social graphs (tight contact lists) make you stand out from "normal people." No idea if the terrorists are following the released leaks on the "Big Data" techniques in use by the 5 Eyes, but it also helps nail down drug dealers and other criminals.

1. Laura Kerr

Indeed. So any trrrist with a modicum of intelligence would run two identities. The public one would be based around a Facebook account full of cat videos, gormless comments on minor slebs' public pages, semi-literate memes and photos of their meals. Bog-standard, run-of-the-mill banality.

The secret one - the Fido system - would be used solely for stuff that needed to be kept secret. No voice calls on the burner phones. Said phones are paid for in cash. The weak spot would be distributing the nodelists - they couldn't just download them from jihadistnutter.org without attracting attention. But there are ways round that - Allfix might do the job. So might burying them in MSI packages.

As a little exercise, I've put my Fidonet system back online. It runs quite happily on an elderly Compaq laptop under Windows 95 and the modem plugs straight into the phone line. No Internet connectivity needed. Files can be transferred via a USB drive. I still have an elderly Nokia with a serial cable that allows it to be used as a modem.

My system was primarily an echomail gateway - I used to transfer mail between five different networks. From looking at the logs, call durations were very short, even when pulling big packets down from the Fido backbone for distribution across Europe. If the Fido system was used only for essential comms, the calls would be even shorter. To monitor my traffic, an attacker would need to know (a) the number I was polling, (b) be able to take a copy of my traffic without alerting me, (c) either know or be able to crack the session password on the fly and (d) be able to decrypt the mail packets. Ringing the changes on the node number, phone number, session password and decryption passphrase makes the snoop's job just that wee bit harder.

An additional security measure is the fact that I could quickly swap hard drives. It's easier to hide or destroy a drive than a whole laptop. That would just leave the burner phone, but swapping the SIM for an innocuous one only takes a few seconds. All the plod could do would be to try to make the possession of a phone that could act as a modem evidence of possession of an article for preparing an act of terrorism. OTOH, I wouldn't put it past them to try...

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

'Burner phones and poor social graphs (tight contact lists) make you stand out from "normal people."'

It depends what you mean by tight contact lists. I'm retired so I don't make business calls any more. A P&G SIM is sufficient. My mobile just has a few friends & family numbers & I no longer give its number out to businesses as that just invites SMS spam.

And running my own domain I use a number of burner email addresses so spammers can be cut off.

12. Warm Braw

counter-extremism – both violent and non-violent

To my mind, "non-violent extremism" would certainly cover the views of Nigel Lawson, Liam Fox and their ilk, and possibly those of the lady herself.

13. Alister

Define Terrorist

The current governments of Europe and North America seem to have this enormous emphasis on stamping out "terrorism", but just stop to consider for a minute, who defines terrorism?

I don't think there are many people who are in any doubt that the current overseas activities of the Daesh are terrorism, and their oppression of the local populace and destruction of ancient artifacts in Syria should also be counted as such.

But as we try so hard to stamp out all terrorism on the internet, and to label all dissenting voices as terrorist, there is a danger that legitimate protests could end up being quashed as well.

Looking back to earlier times, Nelson Mandela was once considered a terrorist by most of the western world. If there had been an Internet during the time of Apartheid, would the ANC have been branded a terrorist organisation, and would any messages from Mandela and his supporters have been blocked, removed or hidden?

The IRA's stated intent was to remove British military power from Northern Ireland. The acts of the IRA and the INLA were without doubt terrorism, but their fundamental cause wasn't, and this is probably why people in the USA were happy to fund and support them, despite the British government's wishes.

If there had been an internet at the time, I wonder if websites supportive of the IRA or calling for British rule to end would have been blocked, as they blocked Gerry Adam's voice from being broadcast?

Theresa May should perhaps look back in history a bit, before she makes such sweeping statements.

1. Rich 11

Re: Define Terrorist

She's not interested in looking back at history; she's only interested in looking forward to her own future as the new Glorious Leader. She'll quite happily appeal to the technically ignorant in her party and say that all sorts of magical things are possible, regardless of the splash damage to society. After all, she wants to be the one who gets to decide what the splash damage will be, so she can make sure it doesn't happen to extreme ideas she likes.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You are assuming she's her own creature just as we do here about FBI Director Comey for another example. There's a very strong groupthink element to any set of people whose professional and social relationships are well defined to the exclusion of dissenting voices. What appears to be totally mad often seems sane within that clique. (I used to laugh growing up at the odd passions of my fellow pupils, their parents, and even school administrators.)

The very existence of, and desire for admission to, the "Chattering Class" is enough to make me hypervigilent.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Define Terrorist: This

"there is a danger that legitimate protests could end up being quashed as well".

And that, right there, is EXACTLY what "they" want.

3. Christoph

Could we start with all the terrorists who are so eager to bomb and invade foreign countries on the flimsiest of excuses? They kill far more innocents.

1. Mephistro
        Thumb Up

I was going to downvote your comment, but fortunately I re-read it first.

A great truth, indeed! And it usually applies to both sides of asymmetrical wars. Perhaps they're just aping each other in some race to the bottom?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah Charlie Farr is panicking at the pasting the IPBill got from pretty much everyone and is trying to turn it into a group effort so he's not standing alone in trying to get Theresa to push it through.

Expect much FUD until this is passed.

Then they'll remove John Le Carré from bookshelves, Lock down the information people can access on the web, stop teaching mathematics in schools, kill off Computer Science in universities & indoctrinate us from a big book containing everything they reckon we need to know which we'll learn by heart by the age of five ... erm this is sounding rather familiar

15. imheretoo

This has nothing to do with terrorists but only silencing any and all dissent. This is just the first stepping stone.

1. Mark 85

It's interesting in a Huh? kind of way. Delete the names and the country and make it a fill in the box type of article. Suddenly, this applies to a whole lot more countries. If I substitute Trump or any number of presidential candidates for May and US for UK, the article still reads the same. Remember the call for Gates to take control of the Internet?

I think the old curse of "may you live in interesting times" has come to pass.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Down with neo-liberalism

Whoops now I've done it. I'm on the extremist list.

1. Rich 11

Re: Down with neo-liberalism

Yeah, you'll be last up against the wall when the revolution comes. ;-)

1. Mephistro
        Joke

Re: Down with neo-liberalism

"...you'll be last up against the wall..."

I'd rather be BEHIND the wall, or -failing that- in another country, thank you! ;-)

17. quattroprorocked

1997 Belarus

I was taken there to get the country online. Or rather, sell them that it would be a Good Thing for them to do so.

Meeting with Gvt Ministers - I explain about the Net. They are very excited. But then...

Them - "But who is in control?". I answered.

Them - "Yes, but who controls it?" Ditto

Them - "OK, but how do we stop people seeing things we don't like". Ditto.

Finally they got it. And, being an old school dictatorship (prob, Mr Lukashenko, still there), didn't want a bar of it.

It's a pity to see our Ministers on a par with theirs, after all this time.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about purging terrorists from Raqqa and leave the rest of us alone? Not even vaguely interested in terrorism (they don't approve of beer and bacon so fuck that for a game); but whenever May opens her stupid face-hole and spouts bollocks like this I do find myself contemplating pie projectiles and the like.

1. Mephistro
      Thumb Up

"... I do find myself contemplating pie projectiles and the like."

I'd bet nowadays the big fish would define hitting her with a cream pie as Terrism, and charge the perpetrator accordingly. Of course that would be overturned by a higher court, probably after 10 or 15 years of expensive legal-fighting-in-the-mud.

For something that in a sane world would have been punished by a fine, and not a too big one!.

Depressing. Sigh...

19. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Down with this sort of Thing!

Careful Now!

20. Barbarian At the Gates

Simpler solution

Put a blindfold on and stop up the ears of the frightened lass. That will keep all the horrible, horrible Internets out of her.

So, that's sorted.

1. Triggerfish

Re: Simpler solution

Darn I thought you was going to say give her a cigarette and a nice wall to lean against.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We could make her "airtight".

A large bin bag, cable ties, bricks and the local canal would suffice.

Wait, stop, did I type that out loud???

That's me on (another) list.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Chicken wire is better, lets the fishes have a nibble

3. Captain DaFt

"Put a blindfold on and stop up the ears of the frightened lass."

Eh, just get her and some unlucky sod drunk and leave them in a hotel room.

She'd probably be much mellower afterward, but he'd probably commit suicide.

21. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Big Brother

Big black boxes

I bet the plan requires installing them in all ISPs...

1. Mephistro
      Unhappy

Re: Big black boxes

That's in this stage of the plan. The next stage will probably require lost of big black plastic bags.

22. Eponymous Cowherd

Just when....

you think politicians can't get any more clueless and technically illiterate, along comes Theresa. Just when you think she can't get any more clueless, she come out with shit like this......

23. Oli 1

it would be amusing if she wasnt actually in charge of things and able to force this crap on people.

Dangerous moron!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

See useful Idiot (to someone anyway)

24. Bota

I think wanting to see what everyone is doing at all times is "extremist", why not just sniff your own knickers and leave ours out of it?

On a more comedic note I always feel that clicking on these articles with Beasty May will end up with me being Rick Rolled. Shame really.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What does DISRUPT mean?

If you'd stopped 7 terrorist plots there would be arrest records we could look at, and analyze. But you used this magic word "disrupt" to avoid presumably being questioned on these. Did you do a drone murder of someone you decided might commit a terrorist act? Is that what's hiding behind that word?

Are we talking about actual real things? If so the list? You know, verifiable claims backed by evidence tested in a court of law... the *real* British way.

Or did you do some sort of 'big data' analysis on what they said and killed them (and the people around them) on the basis of a keyword score?

Details. Where's the detail?

As it is, you sound like an Italian Mafia boss using euphemism to describe a contract killing.

> “stopping the message of hate from spreading”.

Do the digging a lot of those twitter accounts seem to be agent provocateur accounts, made to drag UK into a war in the middle east, that props up the Assad regime.

Do ISIS have "weapons of mass destruction" now?

You assume that you read these and come to the correct judgement, while others read these and come to the wrong "radicalized" judgement. What makes your analysis the only right analysis?? Given your lack of common sense, it seems unlikely to be the right judgement.

In opening up the UK to 5 eyes surveillance, you exposed the democracy to outside control. We don't get to vote in those countries and they don't get to vote here. What exactly is gained by exposing everyone to surveillance by 4 other countries in which we have no democratic influence with a 'free exchange' of our secrets? Every politician, judge, lawyer, civil servant, campaigner, journalist, man on the street, exposed to foreign surveillance. Why?

Also who would be Home Secretary if you hadn't done mass surveillance in the UK? How many better candidates were leaked against/ talked down by foreign diplomats, to put someone as pro-mass surveillance of UK, as Theresa May, in that role?

And when exactly did Parliament authorize that mass surveillance you called "Mastering the Internet", because their voting record shown they REJECTED Snoopers Charter, the law that was the enabler for it. So what exactly are you doing now?

What is the likelihood of a terrorist seizing control of Britain? Taking control of Parliament. Nil? Yet here you are already ignoring Parliament and its pesky laws?

A terrorist uses violence or the threat of violence to cause political change. And you are doing what exactly? Talking up terrorists as a big threat using dodgy fake propaganda to instill fear to cause political change!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What does DISRUPT mean?

A little background reading:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/snowden-docs-british-spies-used-sex-dirty-tricks-n23091

"JTRIG also uses "false flag" operations, in which British agents carry out online actions that are designed to look like they were performed by one of Britain's adversaries. "

So you have this group, JTRIG, and they put out fake propaganda designed to look like it comes from enemies. How do we know that the stuff you want to remove wasn't created by JTRIG for the purpose of passing mass surveillance and censorship laws?

How much threat is an group whose only weapons are words, to the UK anyway?

Terrorists might say words, that might incite other people, to commit acts (with actual weapons), so we want to stop words rather than stopping those actual weapons. Give us mass surveillance, and arbitrary censorship?

Its a nonsense argument. No.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: What does DISRUPT mean?

A False Flag operation is by definition not an attack on the 'enemy' but an attack on one's own populace. It is an attempt to manipulate your population's opinion through misinforming them. A False Flag operation is targeted at us.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

She,

like most of the fossils "running" the country, have absolutely NO idea what the fuck they are spouting off about..

Spin doctors must sit there, rubbing their hands as £ signs rotate on the inside of their eyelids.

The utterly preposterous bullshit she (and others) spout is so out of touch its a fucking mystery they manage to be chauffeured to work every day.

The only good tory, is a suppository

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: She,

"like most of the fossils "running" the country"

What fossils? They're all kiddies these days.

27. Scott Broukell
    Joke

Perhaps she is just very very confused . . . .

heard a buzzword somewhere and now thinks she can turn all the bad peeps into TORies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Perhaps she is just very very confused . . . .

Just the very mention of the word "onion" and the word "router" will have the slack bladdered bint reaching for legislation to limit access to vegetables*, lest they be used as weapons of terror and be a threat to children. Indeed, amusingly shaped ones (veg, not kids) will be forced onto a register and have to report if they are going to procreate in the next 24 hours.

*Insert customary Maggie Thatcher skit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPzzgE34YQY

28. Wolfclaw

Theresa May or to give her official title Mrs Darth Sidious, should be purged out of existence or expelled in the sun.

29. Tom 7

At last the government is grasping the concept of IT and the cloud

cuckoo land.

30. GarethJ

A slippery slope indeed

Who defines what an extremist is? Who defines what an extremist message is?

I wish this Tory government would disappear up it's own self absorbed collective rectum!

Is that an extremist view and should it be magically wiped from the web. OK, it's a daft point as the moderators could delete it anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Terrorists must purge five-eyed Theresa May from her web

In most locales, an extremist is someone whose opinions are beyond the gamut permitted by the ruling power. Hence by legislating against non-violent extremists, she is criminalising our thoughts and legitimising disruptive action (state harassment of targeted individuals / prevent strategy). It's all for show, since our governments already do this, presumably under existing law.

31. Graham Marsden
    Big Brother

purge “extremist messages”

Teresa May is an idiot!

[PURGE] [PURGE] [PURGE]

32. Blipvert

JUST FUCK OFF BITCH!!!

This is why i shouldn't be a politician....too onest & too sweary.

1. Swiss Anton
      Joke

Re: JUST FUCK OFF BITCH!!!

Blipvert, there may yet be an opening for you in politics. I believe that the post vacated by Malcolm Tucker still hasn't been filled.

33. Chris G

So much negativism against Theresa

Remember! Big Sister Loves You!

34. Daniel Snowden

I wonder if anyone has ever given Theresa May a box with flashing lights on it and told her that it's the internet?

(on second thoughts, maybe I should have posted this anonymously to avoid being added to a list of agitators and political joke tellers)

1. h4rm0ny
      Pint

>>"(on second thoughts, maybe I should have posted this anonymously to avoid being added to a list of agitators and political joke tellers)"

By swelling the size of the List, you are doing your part to make it useless. Solidarity, my comrade! ;)

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ten eyes

Just wondering. Unless they are all wearing an eyepatch and sporting a parrot. Should'nt it be Ten Eyes ?

1. Ru'

Re: Ten eyes

They're acting like a bunch of dicks, so one eye each sounds appropriate...

2. h4rm0ny
      Black Helicopters

Re: Ten eyes

Only one eye in each pyramid, my friend.

And doesn't that Black Helicopter icon remind you of something now I've said it --->

36. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It sounds like she's gone off message. Doesn't she know that their online presence helps GCHQ to monitor them?

37. Brennan Young
    Big Brother

Perpetuating the idea that propaganda is always bad, and something that only 'the enemy' indulge in, is propaganda in and of itself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like