back to article Reports of Twitter's death greatly exaggerated, says CEO

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has mostly quashed rumours that the struggling social network is introducing an algorithmically-curated timeline. News that the company plans to change its distinctive stream of content presented in the order in which it was created emerged late last week and quickly spawned the #RIPtwitter hashtag as …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yay I can paste Twits as news again!

So much for the "...However, Twitter's about to be be consigned to the dustbin of history, so we're ditching it as a news source..." promise... (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/03/uber_rebrand/)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope the death of Twitter is not exaggerated

I for one would be happy to see the death of twitter.

Fingers crossed for facebook going the same way.

And I reserve my most hoped closure for last, LinkedIn.

I really ******* hate LinkedIn.

Arrrgggg!

I'm calm now, no need to call the cops, I'm not a danger to myself or anyone else.

Actually I might be a danger to someone else, but probably not any El Reg readers.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Re: I hope the death of Twitter is not exaggerated

I hate linkedin because they KEEP emailing me despite me opting out over and over. I encourage everyone with gmail to flag any missive from them as spam.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Same here -- get LOTs of messages about Harvey Floobermann wanting me to join his professional network, and of course I never heard from him.

Flagging as spam can be useless, though -- we run Maia Spam filters and I noticed that Linkedin messages have way too low scores to be considered SPAM. Better filtering them automatically. Not that that will hurt them...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Can't you just add "wants to join your professional network" as an automatic spam filter on your mail reader if you're that bothered by it?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Mushroom

I recall a similar announcement about Firefox a few weeks before it was officially shitcanned. Here's hoping Twitter follows suit...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've have a twitter account but never use it, only got it because we thought it might be useful for monitoring TV viewers reports of outages (I do playout so we like to know when something might be wrong - we can't monitor every channel) - never really worked very well.

A colleague who is a fan says it is good when a topic explodes but then it always seems to descend into nastiness.

I do wonder how twitter ever expect to make money - I doubt people will put up with advertising or pay for its use directly.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do you really believe they wouldn't be replaced?

Just because you have no use for them, doesn't mean a lot of others don't. If Twitter and Facebook went under, one or more something elses would take their place. It isn't as though people are all going to say "Keef was right all along, social networking is stupid and pointless" and use the internet for only those things you find worthy.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Do you really believe they wouldn't be replaced?

If Twitter and Facebook went under, one or more something else would take their place.

We know. Still, even if only for a few days, I can't help thinking that the world would be better place without Twitter & co.

Of course, what really worries me is whether of my savings schemes has been investing in this shit. The German banks seem to have talent for it, as the sub-prime mortgage disaster showed.

3. Camilla Smythe

Would You Like to Buy Some More Socks?

Yay! It's all about to implode.

I'll regret that one later.

4. a_yank_lurker

Hopefully Good Riddance

Twitter has always struck as best suited for narcissists who want me to know all about their trivial, banal lives. Good riddance. Facebook and LinkedIn for all their goofiness seem to allow more contact with peers, colleagues, and friends and allow for longer, allegedly more thoughtful posts.

1. breakfast Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Hopefully Good Riddance

That may well be because you don't use it, which does make it easy to discount. It's a very good way of having very low-friction interactions with interesting people whose opinions you enjoy hearing. There is a lot of interesting stuff I would never have heard about if not for Twitter and it has given me the chance to talk with some of my favourite authors, comedians and scientists as well as keeping me aware of a lot of what is going on in my field.

It's also super-great for puns, though not everybody sees that as an advantage.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i find twitter useful

In that rather than a bunch of emails telling me about new articles on websites or podcasts, I can just skim a list.

Plus there's chipping away at anti-vaxxers, and their like.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: i find twitter useful

> In that rather than a bunch of emails telling me about new articles on websites or podcasts, I can just skim a list.

What's wrong with RSS?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: i find twitter useful

"What's wrong with RSS?"

Almost certainly nothing, but I don't use it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More from The Register

Am I the only one for whom the "More from The Register" section for this article is five articles about Steve Ballmer, and one about Satya Nadella not being Steve Ballmer?

Did this article have some Ballmeric overtones that I didn't pick up on? Or is "Simon Sharwood" a pen-name, and the jig is now accidentally up?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like