back to article Cisco recalls switches that could short power to the case. And hurt you

Cisco is recalling a bunch of industrial Ethernet switches because it discovered the power source wiring could potentially short to the case. The IE 5000 is the company's series of ruggedised Ethernet switches, and the recall affects both version in the series, the IE-5000-12S12P-10G (1Gbps / 10Gbps, 28 ports) and the IE-5000- …

1. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

Shocking.

1. Richard Rae

Electrifying even!

2. Jamesit

When did the BOFH start designing switches?

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

If these can be zapped remotely, then it's surely BOFH.

3. Warm Braw

Ruggedised Ethernet switches

Surely all ruggedised equipment should have such an effective protection against vandalism?

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Oh look - Cisco has a BOFH line of products!

5. TRT Silver badge

These particular switches...

*removes sunglasses*

were in short supply.

6. badger31

Scared? You shouldn't be.

Where did the kick-bait headline get 'And kill you' from? The field notice linked in the article states that the symptoms are 'The switch fails to power on.' Also, the label shows 24v or 48v DC input. Still not seeing any risk of death here, even if no fuses were blown. There are models that can take 240v, but there's very little danger there either ... unless you are running one of these off a power circuit without ELCBs, in which case all bets are off.

1. NotBob

Re: Scared? You shouldn't be.

You have no idea what can pass as acceptable wiring in industrial cesspools, do you?

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: Scared? You shouldn't be.

While they may use 24 or 48V internally, all of the Cisco enterprise or industrial switches I have handled have had an internal PSU, with a 240V input. They also have metal cases, so if there is a problem with earthing in the PSU and there isn't an ELCB/RCD installed in the building (as there may not be in older buildings), there is a good chance of any shock killing the user, as by the time the fuse blew, the damage would already be done. So, yes, there is a good chance that some poor unsuspecting network tech would get killed in the event one of these switches failed. Remember, just because the safety regulations (and possibly the health and safety at work act) require that companies install RCDs doesn't necessarily mean companies have installed RCDs. Even then, there is no guarantee those RCDs have been tested regularly and are working.

7. John Sanders
    Happy

Cisco Live

"""You'll never think of 'Cisco Live' in quite the same way again"""

Well done! you made me chuckle, something I really needed this morning!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suppose that they can double as defibrillators after the inevitable heart attack that ensues when you see the cost of Cisco gear ...

9. TRT Silver badge

Is this their implementation...

of sparking tree protocol?

10. td0s

whoever is responsible

should get straight on the case

11. Stevie

Bah!

"Do you remeber those switches that fried customers?"

"Why yes I do. I wonder why no-one ever earthed the frames?"

1. John Tserkezis

Re: Bah!

"Why yes I do. I wonder why no-one ever earthed the frames?"

Because it would have cost 10 cents to do it.

12. btrower

Apparently it is 'a thing'

This reminds me of a shipment of IBM 56K modems I received in our lab one time. They were huge -- half the size of a microwave and a card in the box actually gave CPR instructions with the warning. We laughed and laughed... but we made sure to have the network guys install them :)

13. Locky

Recall...

Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...

14. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Alert

Power corrupts absolutely

These Cisco switches give you a lot of bang for the buck. A case of current technology that puts power at your fingertips.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like